BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

wolfgang

Question

My father told me before he died,that he placed his gold coins in the box number 8 down in our basement, and he gave me its key .He said to me:

There are nine boxes in our basement,they were numbered from 1 to 9,,,,but I changed each number according to special procedure,inorder to prevent anybody to steal my money....and now I am going to tell you this procedure...it is as...foll...o..w...s...(and he didn`t say anything more...he died :angry: ).I went down to our basement,and I found nine boxes scattered here and there,on each box I found a number,I worte them down,,here are the numbers:

Now I have to use this key only once,,,but which box was number 8?

can you help me? :help:

if yes...tell me which number originates from number 8....and...WHY?

Note: all the boxes have the same shape,weight(may be the others were filled with stones :D )

Edited by wolfgang

since it's as follows, I put the numbers in order from lowest to highest and open number 93, the eighth number

My father told me before he died,that he placed his gold coins in the box number 8 down in our basement, and he gave me its key .He said to me:

There are nine boxes in our basement,they were numbered from 1 to 9,,,,but I changed each number according to special procedure,inorder to prevent anybody to steal my money....and now I am going to tell you this procedure...it is as...foll...o..w...s...(and he didn`t say anything more...he died :angry: ).I went down to our basement,and I found nine boxes scattered here and there,on each box I found a number,I worte them down,,here are the numbers:

Note: all the boxes have the same shape,weight(may be the others were filled with stones :D )

'e' + 'i' + 'g' + 'h' + 't' + length('eight') = 5 + 9 + 7 + 8 + 20 + 5 = 54

though I don't think this is the correct logic, and we may have to look at some specific mathematical series...

No correct answer so far..... :wacko:

I believe that there is no equation that you could run these numbers through because of the odd even ratio so would i be correct in assuming it is a pattern? I would like to know before I go to far off in the wrong dirrection

Number 93 because it would go in the order of lowest to highest 1=11 2=27 3=42 4=54 5=57 6=65 7=69 8=93 9=101

I was thinking it might have to do with some sort of visual pattern, like physical placement on a number keypad... perhaps a conglomeration of coordinates. Otherwise, it is some sort of simple calculation. I'm leaning towards the patterning thing because of the 55, 57, 59 series.

some thoughts on how it might be solved in the spoiler.

each number has a unique prime number factor. sequentially they are - 2,3,5,7,11,19,23,31,101. Some appear more than once but then you have to rule them out of the others to keep them exclusive.(example - since the only factor of 27 is 3, then 3 can't be considered the key prime anywhere else it appears)

1. 54=2x3x3x3

2. 27=3x3x3

3. 65=5x13

4. 42=2x3x7

5. 11=1x11

6.57=3x19

7. 69=2x23

8. 93=3x31

9.101=1x101

So I think #93 might be the eigth box

Edited by TYounghb

Just guessing but the two possible answers are either 42 or 69. I used the numerical value for each letter based on a key pad. 42 for follows(I actually got 41) and 69 for its as follows. Although I get 102 for follows if you use numerical value based on alphabetical location. Again it is just a guess I am probably way off.

I have no way to back it up but put me down for 27 as an answer.

The first question "which box was number 8?" is a silly question. Your second "can you help me?" ... sure I can. Who cares which one number 8 is. You have all 9 boxes and a key. Try the key in each box until one opens. I can tell you which box was number 8 after I see the gold, but I'll be too busy heading to the pawn shop. Sorry your dad died, but his box number changing procedure was not a very effective security measure from keeping someone from stealing his gold coins. At least the boxes have locks.

Edited by barryw

The first question "which box was number 8?" is a silly question. Your second "can you help me?" ... sure I can. Who cares which one number 8 is. You have all 9 boxes and a key. Try the key in each box until one opens. I can tell you which box was number 8 after I see the gold, but I'll be too busy heading to the pawn shop. Sorry your dad died, but his box number changing procedure was not a very effective security measure from keeping someone from stealing his gold coins. At least the boxes have locks.

Barry, I think your answer may well be correct. But a bit of respect wouldn't go amiss. I think one of the lines in the "rules of the den" says something like ".....basically, don't be a jerk"

I think it may possibly be 65 based on the fact that the square root of 65 is 8.062257748. and if rounded it gives you 8.1 which is still 8 in the end. Hope this is helpful. sorry to hear of your fathers passing.

welllllll if I had to guess.. the numbers don't have anything to do with it... if one's filled with rocks.. and one is filled with gold coins.. I'm pretty sure you can shake it... and they'll make pretttttty different sounds..

=D

I believe that there is no equation that you could run these numbers through because of the odd even ratio so would i be correct in assuming it is a pattern? I would like to know before I go to far off in the wrong dirrection

it is a three-steps manipulation.

1st step...do something to a given number-

2nd step...do something to the above result.

3rd step....add something to the 2nd step.

and thats it...lol

I started out by adding the number one to the end of each number:

1 became 11, 2 became 21 etc. so i had

11, 21, 31, 41, 51, 61, 71, 81, 91

I then took half of 11 and added it to 21;

5.5 + 21= 26.5

I then rounded up 26.5 to 27

This system worked for 21 and 31 and even 41 but not the rest. Am I on to something or is this pure coincidence?

I started out by adding the number one to the end of each number:

1 became 11, 2 became 21 etc. so i had

11, 21, 31, 41, 51, 61, 71, 81, 91

I then took half of 11 and added it to 21;

5.5 + 21= 26.5

I then rounded up 26.5 to 27

This system worked for 21 and 31 and even 41 but not the rest. Am I on to something or is this pure coincidence?

try something else...it was a good trial...but not the one.

STEP 1)

Multiply 1 with 11, 2 with 12 and so on... if result is >120 subtract 99 from it. If result is >100 && <120 subtract the number we have multiflied with+1 .... i know this one is bad....but can't find something else..:(

11, 24, 39, 56, 75, 96, 119, 144, 171

it will become

11, 24, 39, 56, 75, 96, 101, 45, 72

STEP 2)

Reverse digits:

Result will be:

11, 42, 93, 65, 57, 69, 101, 54, 27

this way 54 is our number...

Panwar I think you are very close, I would modify your procedure slightly

Step 1 (same as pan war) take numbers 1 through 9 and multiply by 11 through 19 respectively

gives: 11, 24 39, 56, 75 96, 119, 144, 171

Step 2 take the right most two digits and reverse them to form another number

gives: 11, 42, 93, 65, 57, 69, 91, 44, 17

Step 3 take any (left most) digits not used in step 2, multiply them by 10 and add to the step 2 result

gives:

11 = (0*10) + 11

42 = (0*10) + 42

93 = (0*10) + 93

65 = (0*10) + 65

57 = (0*10) + 57

69 = (0*10) + 69

101 = (1*10) + 91

54 = (1*10) + 44

27 = (1*10) + 17

so I agree with panwar #54 is indeed box 8