Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dark Room

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#11 luckywassabi

luckywassabi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

This whole "riddle" seems so ridiculous to me. Whether you are lighting, stricking, or igniting a match, it all means the same thing, to set it on fire. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet". So Martini (i think said it) is right, no matter what word you use to describe it, the match is the first thing to set on fire.

#12 kiger

kiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:29 AM

the funny thing is, you cant light the lamp or candle without first striking (lighting) (igniting) (burning) (heating) (ect.) the match......... hense the riddle...

#13 largeneal

largeneal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:40 AM

I wouldn't light anything involving fire - I'm scared of the dark and tend to cut farts, so any ignition of anything will result in a light source for the entire southeast US

#14 Catlo

Catlo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

The match. Then you light the candle. Then the candle can be used to light the lamp. This is if you don't:
a) drop the match
b) have a bad match
or c) light yourself on fire. :D Then the people who found your corpse holding a match would call you an idiot and have :lol: or even :P looks on their faces. Eternal humiliation.

#15 jxg8521

jxg8521

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

The match is an obvious choice, and it can't be that easy. But then, what else can it be? Nothing else is capable of "lighting" on its own. The only data we have to work with are:

Match
Candle
Kerosine Lamp

I think "Which do you light first?" might imply "light using an external source." The match is self igniting by way of friction, and we're allowed to "light" it. But that could mean the match is lighting itself, and we're not actually "lighting" it.

#16 abhisk

abhisk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:03 AM

You are in a dark room and want to see what is inside it. With you are a match, a candle, and a kerosene lamp. Which do you light first?

Answer: the match

Please put your answer in a quote.
This is from Wiiosten.
which do you light first? heres how:

feel your way to the wall
turn on the light switch
you light the room :lol: :lol: :lol:

#17 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:25 AM

You are in a dark room and want to see what is inside it. With you are a match, a candle, and a kerosene lamp. Which do you light first?

Answer: the match

Well, just to spark this discussion some more. It burns me how no one has mentioned that something needs to be present to strike the match against. ;)

#18 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

Well, just to spark this discussion some more. It burns me how no one has mentioned that something needs to be present to strike the match against. ;)

SWAN VESTA, lights on most things inc. rough skin. Of course magicians don't need a match.

#19 dbriti

dbriti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:04 PM

You can's light anything if you can't light the match.

#20 DarkChild of Mercury

DarkChild of Mercury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

I light the room (by the light switch in it, of course!). It doesn't specify that the match, candle, and lamp were your only choices, just what you have with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users