Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Atheism discussion

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#21 Mekal

Mekal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

numbers "made" by what? Thought up by people? Clearly 'numbers' of things exist regardless, so I don't see where you're coming from. And yeah, the Golden Ratio (and heavily related Fibonacci sequence) are definitely integral parts of nature, so I think numbers and nature go hand in hand ;D

i meant when humans made teh names and rule for numbers... they used nature to help them decide...

#22 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:07 PM

yeah, I agree... numbers are based off nature, not the other way around ;D

lol, I know how obsessed you are with phi. Besides, 2.7182818284 > 1.6180339887. :P

10 > e, so what? ;D

a few things:

-phi occurs a lot in nature and has a ton of geometrical properties(why?), according to wikipedia
-e is needed for compound interest, and e^x is also the only function that is its derivative(again, why?)
-also, why is it that pi is the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter?

phi has the coolest properties ever ;D Way better than e. E is just related to exponents... phi is waaay cooler.

click here
or here, and then keep scrolling down

:P

as to your questions of WHY, phi is that way because it's the same thing as (1 + √5) / 2, based on the quadratic equation. That's why the number of those properties is ~= 1.6180339887...

as for why pi is around 3, check this out

#23 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:32 PM

Huh, good point.
This actually reminds me of a youtube video I watched.
It's a satire, the "christian" in there is actually atheist, and although he works in comedy, he doesn't just make stuff up, everything he says is based on logic and reasoning

I live a few blocks away from where the baby mentioned in the video was shot.
It's been my favorite hangout since I was like, seven.
It's sad.....

wow, this video is hysterical and exactly how I see it. Luckily I haven't gotten any of those txts... too spooky. "Hell is crazy! Be good from now on!" - Hitler

There is proof that God exists though. When Salma Hayek was flat chested, she dipped her hands in holy water and prayed to God for perfect breasts... need I say more?

Let's see... on a more serious note. I have been thinking about my atheism lately in a very downward spiralish way. Not that I am going to believe in God ever, just that atheism kind of sucks and here is why. No matter if I live the greatest life or the worst life, when I die I'm nothing and so is the person whose life was Great or Awful. This essentially means that our generation, whether good, bad, poor, beautiful, prosperous, etc... doesn't amount to anything except a fleeting mix of sensations.

Well now wait a second, we leave behind our collective unconscious. We leave our experience and our deeds to the next generation so they can hopefully prosper from what we've done. So that's a reason to lead a good life, but... they will die just like we did and so on and so on. When a flower dies, no one questions where it's "being" goes. I don't know too many adults who believe in Doggie Heaven, so why should humans be different? We are animals too. Just another species. I believe that when we die, that's it. Game over.

It's very disheartening though to believe that life is utterly so pointless. So maybe there is a generative reason to do good and propel our intelligence... science and space travel. Once we can access and integrate with the other species in our Galaxy and then maybe even the whole universe we will find the meaning to life and perhaps immortality. For what reasons? Who knows... we haven't gotten there yet. But I think that is the only goal we should focus on in respect to our species' distant future.

This goal can be attained faster by making our species more intelligent at an accelerating rate and investing time and resources into space travel and exploration, not war and useless other money-machines. Our species needs to unite under one obligation and destination: space. That is where our answers lie, not in any books written by ourselves.

#24 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:53 PM

exactly - life is fleeting, and I respect your opinion that it's meaningless, but I have to disagree. The universe is a chaotic and beautiful place, and we should appreciate its vast wonder and (etc ;D). But really, live your life to the best because there is nothing after it. This is your shot, no heaven, no hell, just us. So you can live it anyway you want, cuz when you die you're dead. So enjoy life, my friend B))

On another note, having a god doesn't add any further meaning - how does it? In what way? Nothing! The meaning is to what, go to heaven? And then be immortal in the clouds in a constant state of orgasm forever? Know how boring even that would get? And on a higher level, what would god's meaning be then? Nothing! Just like us!

So enjoy life ;D

#25 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:02 PM

Good points Itachi-san....I'm all for discovery and exploration/expedition
What is there to find out in space - extreme cold and extreme heat, plus a whole lot of particles that can be found here on earth, which means if we manage to travel and find aliens, they are either steps ahead, the same or behind. The universe was supposedly created from a small plasma type state that rapidly expanded and eventually larger particles formed. to the point where galaxies, planets etc exist everywhere - so the chances are humans exist elsewhere. Where exactly? Who can say.
Maybe we can share experiences and compare histories - at waht cost? Preheats we find a cheap and simple method eventually; still lots to solve here, how we evolved - I'm still chewing that one over. No way Guy the gorilla was a relative of mine.
"Klaatu barada nikto" - they have remade 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' yeah!!! Hope they do 'Forbidden Planet' as well, or should i say FP II

#26 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

Let's see... on a more serious note. I have been thinking about my atheism lately in a very downward spiralish way. Not that I am going to believe in God ever, just that atheism kind of sucks and here is why. No matter if I live the greatest life or the worst life, when I die I'm nothing and so is the person whose life was Great or Awful. This essentially means that our generation, whether good, bad, poor, beautiful, prosperous, etc... doesn't amount to anything except a fleeting mix of sensations.

Well now wait a second, we leave behind our collective unconscious. We leave our experience and our deeds to the next generation so they can hopefully prosper from what we've done. So that's a reason to lead a good life, but... they will die just like we did and so on and so on. When a flower dies, no one questions where it's "being" goes. I don't know too many adults who believe in Doggie Heaven, so why should humans be different? We are animals too. Just another species. I believe that when we die, that's it. Game over.

Are you sure that you aren't me? And we just somehow don't know it?

I've been dealing with the same problems lately. About the complete futility, and some might say, pointlessness in life.
I'm not sure whether I fear death. Or fear my last moments... Whether or not I will know that I am about to die.. I'm just terrified at the thought.
It's because of this feeling I have, that everything I do now will clearly not effect me, after I am dead. That now, my one main goal in life is to have a child.
However, I noticed that.. Well, I dunno, it seems a BIT better when you ask the question the other way.
Instead of saying "why does it matter"
Ask, "what matters more"
Honestly, if this life is all that we will ever know. Then why is it unimportant? Isn't it really the most important thing to us? Aside, of course, those around you whom you love.
I think, that my other goal (however abstract this is) is to lie on my deathbed, without any regrets...

exactly - life is fleeting, and I respect your opinion that it's meaningless, but I have to disagree. The universe is a chaotic and beautiful place, and we should appreciate its vast wonder and (etc ;D). But really, live your life to the best because there is nothing after it. This is your shot, no heaven, no hell, just us. So you can live it anyway you want, cuz when you die you're dead. So enjoy life, my friend B))

are you sure you're not the other half of me?

Honestly, put Unreality and Itachi in a blender, out pops Ploper :D
eww, that sounds kind of gross, actually

Edited by Ploper, 06 September 2008 - 11:09 PM.

#27 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

yeah - I'm saying that the liberating beauty of life lies in the fact that it has absolutely no meaning! That's what's so awesome!

#28 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

yeah - I'm saying that the liberating beauty of life lies in the fact that it has absolutely no meaning! That's what's so awesome!

and when we die, we won't care that there was no meaning ;)

I'm reminded of one of my favorite anime character's quotes: "True Art is not eternal beauty, True Art is beauty that blossoms for only a moment and then disappears." - not an exact quote, but it's the gist of what Deidara says in Naruto.

#29 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:36 PM

and when we die, we won't care that there was no meaning ;)

so? It doesn't matter, cuz we'll be dead ;D

The point is that life has no meaning, so live life and enjoy life the way you want to :D

#30 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:10 AM

so? It doesn't matter, cuz we'll be dead ;D

The point is that life has no meaning, so live life and enjoy life the way you want to :D

i agree. that was my point. enjoy it and have fun and when we die we won't care that it was meaningless...because we'll be dead and we won't care about anything ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users