Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

game theory ...tough

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nick2014

nick2014

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:09 AM

Three explorers are getting kidnapped by an evil tribe deep in the jungle, and their life now depends on
their ability to correctly answer the following challenge the evil tribe's chief has for them. The
explorers are tied to three trees facing each other and are presented with the chief's 5 wives: 3
brunettes, and 2 blondes. The three explorers are now blindfolded, and the chief picks three of his five
wives to stand behind the trees the explorers are tied to, one behind each tree. The remaining two wives
disappear from view.

Then the blindfolds come off, and each explorer is able to see the two wives that are standing behind his two colleagues, but not the one behind himself.
Each explorer now has up to 10 minutes time to think, after which each has to correctly answer what hair color the wife has that is standing behind him, or lose his life.

When you, as one of the three explorers, gain your sight after the blindfold comes off, you see
two brunettes standing behind your two colleagues. And now your life depends on figuring out who is behind you: a blonde or a brunette?

This is not a trick question (e.g., they cannot talk or otherwise cheat), and it's not about probabilities. There is one--and only one--logical solution to this

#2 harey

harey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Reasoning from a similar problem:

Spoiler for

Edited by harey, 04 December 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#3 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5842 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

I think harey has it.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#4 phil1882

phil1882

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

i don't think so. we can't make his assumption that everyone thinks at the same speed.

besides if i saw a blonde and brunette, how could i possibly say brunette? i have no idea who is behind me.

#5 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5842 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

i don't think so. we can't make his assumption that everyone thinks at the same speed.
besides if i saw a blonde and brunette, how could i possibly say brunette? i have no idea who is behind me.

The guy with the brunette would immediately say brunette if you had the other blonde.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#6 phil1882

phil1882

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

okay let's work through it slowly.

let's say there are 1 blonde and 2 brunette.

two guys see 1 blonde 1 brunette, and the other guy sees two brunette.

and the other possibility is all 3 brunette for the guy seeing two brunette.

if I’m the guy that sees two brunette, i can't know what’s behind me. nor do I see how the other two could.

the only conclusion we can safely reach is that no one sees two blonde.

#7 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

Spoiler for explanation

Here's the tricky part: The OP doesn't ask whether the first player who answers can be sure that he's correct, it asks whether you can be sure that you're correct if you see two brunettes. If you wait a while and then both of the other guys correctly answer brunette, then are you safe or in danger? Remember, you didn't get a chance to discuss strategy with the others before this all started.

#8 Pickett

Pickett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

This riddle reminds me very much of one that my dad (who just recently passed away) always used to tell me.  You can read his telling of it here, on his blog ("I've Got a Blue Spot" was originally going to be the title of a book he was going to write...but turned into the start of a blog instead...the name coming from the riddle):

http://www.ivegotabl...com/archives/18

Edited by Pickett, 06 December 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#9 gavinksong

gavinksong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:07 AM

Phil actually has a point. It is hard to actually draw any solid conclusions without making the unrealistic assumption that all of the explorers are intelligent and think at the same speed.

A more complete version of the same puzzle is actually posted on the official site, http://brainden.com/logic-puzzles.htm, under "Masters of Logic Puzzles (Dots)" - although the story is more like "Head Bands", another similar puzzle also listed on the same page.

Edited by gavinksong, 11 December 2013 - 06:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users