Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Flaky Engineer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3390 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

I'm baking biscuits.  I have 15 cubic inches of dough.  I need to roll it out and cut circles out of it.  Let's say I'm obsessive and require the circles to be perfect 3 inch rounds, and I am uber-skilled and rolling and roll to a perfectly uniform thickness of 1/4 inch, and I have some strange compulsion and can only roll the dough into rectangular shapes.

Being an engineer, on a day when I'm more lazy and less greedy, I choose to roll the dough out once, cut the rounds, and feed the scraps to the dog.  What are dimensions so that I can cut the maximum biscuits?  (Hey, I said less greedy... ;) )

On a day when I'm more greedy and less lazy, I make a quadruple batch (60 cubic inches) and choose to roll the dough out, cut the rounds, consolidate the scraps and roll out again, cut more rounds, etc until I am left with less dough than I can roll into a piece I can cut a biscuit out of, and I feed that to the dog.  What is the minimum number of times I have to roll out the dough?  

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page! Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#2 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5814 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Spoiler for Part 1

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#3 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'm missing something even before I try to answer: I see actions of

* cutting into rounds

* rolling out

* rolling into rectangles

* requiring 1/4 inch thick rollout

I think I hear that you cut them into circles, then roll them into 1/4 thickness, and then roll them into rectangular shapes. This will necessarily reduce the thickness. But maybe the 1/4 thickness is required AFTER rolling the rounds into rectangular shapes?

Please, what is the sequence of events and constraints thereupon? Alternatively, what was the stuff about rectangular shapes about?

#4 k-man

k-man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Spoiler for looks like

@CaptainEd

The last paragraph of the OP kinda describes the sequence. First you roll out the dough into a rectangular shape 1/4 inch thick. Then you cut out the round biscuits. The remaining dough either goes to the dog or get reshaped into another rectangle for the next round of cutting.

#5 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Thanks, k-man. That makes perfect sense, and I don't see why I didn't get that from Y-san's exposition--I think I need more biscuits this morning...

#6 jhawk

jhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Spoiler for Here's what I got

Sorry, can't get spoilere to work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users