Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Chromatic Witch, Ep 2: The Power of Green

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#21 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

Spoiler for 4 A on a DP

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#22 vistaptb

vistaptb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

I like DudleyDude's answer, but since Y-san hasn't posted yet, I'd guess that we're looking for something more. So,
Spoiler for

#23 MikeD

MikeD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Spoiler for one is left

hi again, everyone. Nice to be back home. :)

#24 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

The agents had decrypted all the clues except one. A comment from Father: "The hardest puzzle on the internet."

“I see...” Wraith mused, stroking his stubbly chin. “So...in the end it’s a matter of perspective. To see the answer we must look at both at once from outside the box.”

Orin nodded, comprehending. “Neerg, neerg, neerg,” he chanted.

Promptly, the green walls retracted to the ground and vanished. Without losing a beat, the agents marched forward into the woods.

Not far in, they came to a tall ridge, a protuberance of earth that barred their way. Orin thought he saw something moving atop it. “Hey!” he called out.

Two figures appeared on the ledge. Orin’s words caught in his throat as he stared. Finally, one of the agents muttered, “Are you guys seeing what I’m seeing?”

Two two-dimensional cartoon forms stared back at them. They had spiky light green hair, parted in opposite directions, inordinately large eyes, and unnaturally thin necks. One held a paintbrush in his right hand, the other in his left. They wore, if “wore” could be used here, green costumes with enormous shoulder pauldrons and high boots. On one’s chest was an “H”, on the other’s was a “K”.

“Green is the color of will and energy,” Father’s reassuringly composed voice came over the neuro-link. “Whatever the Witch can will, can be here.”

The two beings began to speak, in a tongue the agents could not understand. An alert popped up. “Language detected, would you like subtitles?” asked the automated voice.

After the group selected “yes” in near unison, sentences began scrawling themselves in the agents’ fields of vision.

Spoke H: “You seek our master.”

Continued K: “But you will not find him.”

H: “You think you can battle him.”

K: “But you are not worthy.”

H: “We are enough to defeat such poor creatures as you.”

K: “We will stop you here, you will go no further.”

Then they stepped together, side by side, and began painting in the air, sequences of numbers:

H: 3, 4, 6, 8, 15, 18, 28, 8, 27, 20, 33, 12, 26, 42, 15...

K: 24, 23.5, 15.3, 15, 14.6, 21.5, 14, 20.5, 13.3, 19.5, 12.6, 12.3, 18, 17.5, 17...

They continued on, but the agents could not keep track, for each number remained after written and stood as an obstacle to their path.

After the green-haired duo was finished, they stood and glared condescendingly at the agents. “You do not have what it takes to pass.” “This is your end.”

Then they looked at each other, smiled, and began chanting:

It is his greatest strength,” “and his greatest weakness.”

It is the fuel of the finest fires of creation,” “and the fan of the most furious flames of destruction.”

It is the harbinger of hope,” “it is the herald of despair.”

It is the conveyor of change,” “and the champion of inertia.”

It is a builder,” “it is a butcher,” “it is a depositor,” “it is a despoiler,” “it is acceptor,” “it is an annihilator.”

It is...” “it is...

112” “21

93” “9

48” “0.5

84” “14

18” “10.3

84” “7

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for Notes

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page! Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#25 DudleyDude

DudleyDude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1825 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

My apologies for not using a Spoiler but I think we are all playing together against the Witch and trying to reformat this inside a spoiler would be a huge pain.

This is what I have so far. Nothing I can make much sense of, but maybe will help everyone else.

The nth term in sequence K is: (49 - n)/[2|3] where '[2|3]' means 'either 2 or 3', but I haven't yet figured out when to use 2 instead of 3 or vice versa.

Similarly, the nth term in sequence H is: n*[1|2|3|4]

Rewriting the sequences with the variable choices yeids:
H: 3,2,2,2,3,3,4,1,3,2,3,1,2,3,1
K: 2,2,3,3,3,2,3,2,3,2,3,3,2,2,2

I'm guessing that we need to figure out the rules behind the 2 sequences and extend them out far enough to find the corresponding pairs that K and H quote at the very end (112,21), (93,9), (48,0.5), (84,14), (18,10.3), (84,7) and that the values of n for each entry will end up corresponding to a 6 letter word.

Since the H sequence involved [1|2|3|4], I decided to try that as well for the K sequence. I'm still not sure how to decide which multiplier/divisor is used, so I opened a spreadsheet and calculated all 4 possible H and K sequence numbers for n=1:48. I then looked for n's where both the final values quoted by H and K were existing for that value of n. That yielded the following sequence 28,31,48,21,18, 28.

I still don't know if this sequence is significant nor how to convert it to a word.

#26 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

The adept agents had figured out the number of elements to the series, but what did it mean? Why was that number significant?

"Oy!" A voice hissed, jerking Orin out of his contemplations. "O'er ere!"

He glanced around and finally noted an out-of-place silhouette behind a tree. Cautiously he stepped towards it.

It was a small man with a bushy beard in a green jacket and green hat. A leprechaun? Orin was incredulous. But there was something strangely familiar...

The leprechaun grinned, tipped his hat, and tapped his shoes together before breaking out into a jig:

"When you think you're in a bind,
You should open up your mind,
Look around,
Hints abound!
Search for that which you find."

Edited by Yoruichi-san, 30 July 2012 - 05:16 PM.

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

#27 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

We need our Math Masters up in here. Where's MikeD, MM, TripleOption, psyko, etc.? I haven't the faintest about number sequences. I'm only useful for some wordplay.

Edited by Aaryan, 30 July 2012 - 07:55 PM.

Back in Business. 

Are you intelligent? Of course you are. Do you love mind games? Of course you do? Join a Trainer's Manual Mafia in the Games today (well, once one opens up).

#28 Brainiac100

Brainiac100

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

We need our Math Masters up in here. Where's MikeD, MM, TripleOption, psyko, etc.? I haven't the faintest about number sequences. I'm only useful for some wordplay.

Same here. And even then, I'm not that good. :blink:
Is there a riddle stuck in your brain, and you cannot solve it? Be happy! It is a positive proof that you have a brain. <--Rookie1ja

#29 MikeD

MikeD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

The adept agents had figured out the number of elements to the series, but what did it mean? Why was that number significant?

So it would seem that DD's number were good: 28,31,48,21,18, 28

Maybe a six letter word.
Any thought on why the two being were labeled H and K?

hi again, everyone. Nice to be back home. :)

#30 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

Over-hearing some of the comments, the leprechaun chuckled.

"Here math is not what you need,
But to the minions you should pay some heed,
Drawn in a funny way,
What and how they say,
Their characters perhaps you can read."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users