Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

Spoiler for Explanation...I hope

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#82 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

As for feedback. It took a little while to get into the swing of things - being not really sure what was going on - but really enjoyed it when I thought I was on to something. I most definitely wouldn't have got the answer without the comments of the other players. It'll be interesting to see a similar thing can be done again without becoming 'stale'. I guess the only way to find out is for someone to start a new one.

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#83 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:42 PM

I was thinking in this code:
UQPCBSSN
but then I see the A which will convert the last three letters,so It should be:
UQPCBUQP

I think you're thinking along the right lines but there's a letter wrong there

#84 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

Spoiler for Explanation...I hope

You've essentially got it right,
Spoiler for just to clarify on the letters...

As for feedback. It took a little while to get into the swing of things - being not really sure what was going on - but really enjoyed it when I thought I was on to something. I most definitely wouldn't have got the answer without the comments of the other players.

I'm glad. It was looking a bit low on interactivity for a while there.

It'll be interesting to see a similar thing can be done again without becoming 'stale'. I guess the only way to find out is for someone to start a new one.

That is the real game. A test of how much you can obfuscate the code while still making the technique simple and consistent (with that thought I've added a fourth algorithm rule - see earlier post for that). Everything so far was intended as a preliminary experiment. If no volunteers are forthcoming I have a second algorithm which is quite different in style, but I'd like to see what other people come up with instead.
Certainly we need to roll out the clues a bit quicker next time. I think 3 at a time would be about right.
If others are up for it I'll start a new thread with the updated rules, but in the meantime I'd like to invite as much feedback as possible, and especially any volunteers to create a code!

#85 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

Izzy gets to keep Massachusetts for now.

Yay, but *kicks Framm*. :P

#86 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

[whoops did a post by accident :blush:]

#87 Cherry Lane

Cherry Lane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:43 PM

Hmm...no takers. Let's see your second algorithm, octopuppy!

I'm intrigued by your idea of using such an algorithm for password control. Too bad not all password requirements are the same: some require special characters while others don't allow them. Some need to be exactly 8 characters, others can be shorter or longer. I have one that must be a minimum of 12 characters! If the site would list what the password requirements are on the login page, I could use that to help me recall my password, but usually they don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users