BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

1. Two race car drivers decide two race each other one-on-one, ten laps around a typical NASCAR course. They start from the same line and take off at the same speed. Both maintain identical speeds the entire race, yet one still clearly wins. Why?

2. A woman puts a mug into the microwave and lets it run for 1 minute and 30 seconds. After the microwave beeps, she opens it, looks at the mug, and then turns the microwave on for another 5 seconds, after which she removes the mug and drinks her coffee. Why the extra 5 seconds?

10 answers to this question

1. Two race car drivers decide two race each other one-on-one, ten laps around a typical NASCAR course. They start from the same line and take off at the same speed. Both maintain identical speeds the entire race, yet one still clearly wins. Why?

2. A woman puts a mug into the microwave and lets it run for 1 minute and 30 seconds. After the microwave beeps, she opens it, looks at the mug, and then turns the microwave on for another 5 seconds, after which she removes the mug and drinks her coffee. Why the extra 5 seconds?

A circular track? The winner would be the car on the inner track.

And the water wasn't boiling or steaming enough when she checked it?

A circular track? The winner would be the car on the inner track.

And the water wasn't boiling or steaming enough when she checked it?

First one, yes, second one, no.

1. each car takes off at different times!!!

2. extra 5 seconds were added to turn the mug so that she could take the coffee by the handle!!!

Why isn't this at the new logic/math riddles section? this is not a new word puzzle.........or is it?

if not, then If possible, please move it.........

But it's fun.....

Edited by EDM

Why isn't this at the new logic/math riddles section? this is not a new word puzzle.........or is it?

But it's fun.....

2. extra 5 seconds were added to turn the mug so that she could take the coffee by the handle!!!

Well, it's not math or logic (well, using the definition of logic as being deducing conclusions from a given set of information), it's a situational riddle (which often requires creativity or thinking outside the box, which is a different type of intelligence than math), and often situational riddles have a verbal component designed to throw you off.

So... what forum are they best for?

Btw, first one was too easy, imo, but I like the second one

Well, it's not math or logic (well, using the definition of logic as being deducing conclusions from a given set of information), it's a situational riddle (which often requires creativity or thinking outside the box, which is a different type of intelligence than math), and often situational riddles have a verbal component designed to throw you off.

I just said that it's more of a 'use logic to answer' riddle............but it is a good one nevertheless..... :D:D:D

and.........it belongs in the BrainDen Forum!!! :D:D:lol::lol:

off to "New Logic/Math Puzzles"

But it's fun.....

I like the idea for the first one, I guess I should have said that otherwise in the riddle! And yes, that is the answer to the second one.

First one, yes, second one, no.

a race track (circular) will be designed in a way that if two cars of same start line, start speed,start time and acceleration race then they will reach the finish line simultaneously. so according to me the riddle one is logically (if the track is circular) wrong! :-P

and about the second one, i agree with royal, she might have wanted to hold the coffee mug right at the handle so she operates the oven for extra 5 seconds . :-)

Edited by gtmw

a race track (circular) will be designed in a way that if two cars of same start line, start speed,start time and acceleration race then they will reach the finish line simultaneously. so according to me the riddle one is logically (if the track is circular) wrong! :-P

and about the second one, i agree with royal, she might have wanted to hold the coffee mug right at the handle so she operates the oven for extra 5 seconds . :-)

a running race track is designed so everyone runs the same distance, but in NASCAR (as well as most other pro/semi-pro auto racing circuits) the track is designed to give the best qualifier (or pole position) an advantage by starting in front and on the inside of the turns

and the 5 seconds for the handle facing her sounds best to me too... :P