BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Masterword

And something we hear about in real life too, maybe????

You might hear it in real life I guess, depending on the types of people you talk too.

Edited by Artificial I

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:offtopic: Apologia for Axolotl

Sorry WM, for foisting a word on you with such little social utility as axolotl. It just happened to occur to me when solving the previous one. While I do have some passing knowledge of terms from biology, this term entered my vocabulary and that of thousands of others many years ago, because of its frequent inclusion in MAD Magazine. There were several words that all MAD readers know:

axolotl (as you now know, a Mexican salamander)

potrzebie (a Polish word, meaning "need")

Moxie ( soft drink beverage--I've tried it, didn't like it)

furshlugginer (actual Yiddish word)

Veeblefetzer (a non-word, sounds rather like some arcane piece of equipment)

thank you, and the answer better than deserved...

Guessing you word will be bonanza? you have some nice friends if you're talking about that

Yes, you are right! Congrats!

:offtopic: Apologia for Axolotl

Sorry WM, for foisting a word on you with such little social utility as axolotl. It just happened to occur to me when solving the previous one. While I do have some passing knowledge of terms from biology, this term entered my vocabulary and that of thousands of others many years ago, because of its frequent inclusion in MAD Magazine. There were several words that all MAD readers know:

axolotl (as you now know, a Mexican salamander)

potrzebie (a Polish word, meaning "need")

Moxie ( soft drink beverage--I've tried it, didn't like it)

furshlugginer (actual Yiddish word)

Veeblefetzer (a non-word, sounds rather like some arcane piece of equipment)

Do I need to apologize for coccyx then, as well? :blush: Where do we draw the line on the obscurity/difficulty scale?

I've only hosted once so far, but in my search for words to use as guesses, I've found some interesting words that have unique characteristics. Like coccyx, I think some words make for a more satisfying challenge. I would much prefer a funky 6 letter word than a larger everyday word that has all of the common letters so you can't eliminate anything.

Either way, I enjoy the game. If that means using less obscure words so that more folks will be encouraged to play and keep the thread going, then so be it. I suppose I'll just use the obscure words for elimination guesses. (That's probably a better overall use for them anyway.)

As an aside: I've made it a point to collect interesting epicurean slanted words for the good Cap'n. :thumbsup:

edit: Oh, and axolotl? Even I would like to call shenanigans on that one. ;) Is MAD still a good read? I haven't picked one up in far too long.

Guess for TM: coccyx, of course!

Edited by Grayven

Yep, the bottom portion of your spine. The pointy bit that hurts when you ride a bicycle.

I meant the bold words as guesses. I apologize for the confusion. They don't look terribly useful now, do they?

bottom

pointy