memoirs - xx

autoing - xxxo

pointed - oo

mauling - xxoo

mustang - xxoo

nubbins - xxxxxx

dubbins - xxxxxx

gubbins - xxxxxxx

Didn't know it was just a British thing. Dictionary definition: 1. An object of little or no value. 2. A small device or gadget. 3 odds and ends (that's how it's normally used).

Definitely in my top 5 favourite words. "What's no 1, fab?", I can here you clamouring .

Well, - nice of you to ask - If/when I'm in the hotseat, I'll use it as target word. As you've shown so much interest, I might publish all 5. :D:D

Oh... and away you go Maquis

Edited by fabpig

lol, it sounds British and I've never heard it spoken over on this side of the pond, but it could be that I just haven't encountered it. Anyways, I guess I need to think up a word now.

Ok, i have another from the collection of stuff on my desk at work. Common everyday word.

8 letters.

scavenge

and fabpig, I am getting tired of you British people not speaking English properly. Is it neccesary for a convoy of Americans to travel abroad and give you guys a proper English lesson? There is no such word as gubbins and you know it. :D

calendar - xooo

scavenge - xooo

declared - oo

I'd like to visit Europe one of these days. Unfortunately I have too many obligations at home and too little money to travel. Perhaps one day. I absolutely love Germany's Neuschwanstein Castle and would like to spend a week there exploring the Bavaria area.

neuschwanstein32520.jpeg

calendar - xooo

scavenge - xooo

declared - oo

likewise - xx

Funny, in that link a lot of folks mentioned hearing it in Lord of the Rings. I don't recall seeing it in those books but when I hear the word, Mary Poppins springs to mind for some reason. Again, it just re-enforces the "must be a British thing" image.

Now gizmo and doohickey are words I'm well familiar with.

I'll try it out on my British friend this week fab. The reason I used declared was because we were just discussing the differences in US and British conversations. Whereas Americans like to make declarations all the time , even when they (ok we) don't know what we're talking about, British people seem to be weary of making decalarative statements, ie Maurice is a really cool cat, isn't he, or Rooney reaaly took a strike at that goal, didn't he?

anyway, rant over.

restrain

calendar - xooo

scavenge - xooo

declared - oo

likewise - xx

restrain - oooo

Edit: Personally I think the British are still upset that we like coffee better than tea.

Edited by Maquis

LOL, ok then Marvel Comics is making up words. I guess this is a good time to ask. What are the ground rules for this game? Words in Webster's Third only? How about proper names like "America" or "George" that would be easily recognized by most English speakers.

Are non-English foreign words allowed? How about foreign words that are easily recognized by English speakers like Gesundheit or rendevous?

How about words or places that are made up for a particular novel or movie and do not exist outside of that world. Lewis Carroll came up with quite a few, I believe.

And lastly, are the rules different for the chosen game word as opposed to just guessed words?

Anyways

Wakandas - xxo