BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hello all,

I have returned to the den. I have internet at my flat now, so should be able to make regular occurrences here again. To get back into the mindset of the weird and wacky thinking, the way of the den, I am stating back with a game. It is hopefully new to you guys ( not sure what everyone has been up to, though I do notice some post counts have increased a lot). Enjoy.

The Scenario:

One year ago, Robert Killingsworth bought the farm. Six months later he was dead — leaving his widow Elizabeth to tend to their fledging vineyard and winery on the outskirts of California's wine country. With mounting debts and no idea how to run a business, Elizabeth is desperate to sell the farm and recoup her losses. The fierce drought and shaky economy, however have left Killlngsworth Farm on the market for far too long.

One early autumn day, six people passed through the gates of Killingsworth Farm to see Elizabeth...

One of them, a cold—blooded Killer:

Michael Nightshade — This real estate developer from New York arrived unannounced with plans to buy Killingsworth Farm and develop it into a low-cost housing community. His boss ordered him to obtain the Killlngsworth land at any cost...

Dr. Chelsea Barren — After suffering a nervous breakdown, this psychiatrist and near-best-selling author moved to Northern California to relax... but she moved next door to the Killingsworths instead.

Enrique Graves — This young drifter wandered onto Killingsworth Farm last year just as Robert and Elizabeth were moving in. Elizabeth took a liking to Enrique and he has lived on the farm ever since — tending to the fie|ds... among other things.

Vicki D’Adly - Elizabeth’s estranged sister from New Jersey, she and her husband were traveling on vacation when Vicki decided to drop by Killingsworth Farm for a visit... a surprise visit.

Norman D’Adly - A real estate broker from New Jersey and husband to Vicki, Norman is trying to salvage his job and his marriage while travelling across the country on vacation.

Kathryn Lawless — Best friend to Elizabeth, this local librarian and historian has a flare for the eccentric. She lives down the road with her 15 cats and loves true crime - especially the mysterious unsolved death of Robert Killingsworth.

Which of these people has a secret worth killing for? Come to Killingsworth Farm and find out before it is too late?

Signup:

Michael Nightshade -

Dr. Chelsea Barren -

Enrique Graves -

Vicki D’Adly -

Norman D’Adly -

Kathryn Lawless -

Detectives ( maximum of 4 )

These detective roles don't take part in the story, but they can interograte the players involved in the story.

• Answers 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

In that case, the death must have occurred after Dr. Barren left, eliminating her as a suspect? (for Robert's death, anyhow). Also, was Elizabeth the one who sued you?

So she says...I don't think she would outright admit to being a murderer though (and if she was she hasn't been told by tal yet XP), but her relationship with Robert seems to make it less likely she was his murderer but more likely she was Elizabeth's murderer...unless Robert was breaking up with her at that particular lunch...hmm...

Ah, I suppose I may be able to help? I found a piece of paper lying on the ground, but I didn't have any time to read it. Perhaps it's yours.

possibly. Kathryn says she got all the sheets back but just before i handed them back i had a quick check to see they were all there and some i read were not there anymore... :huh:

Oh also i think its time to mention this.. When Norman and Vicki D’Adly arrived last night, I helped them with some luggage from their RV. I noticed the RV was filled with boxes — much more than two people would ever need on vacation.

and at about 3:00 PM, I was fixing the wiring in the Wine Vaults when Dr. Chelsea Barren joined me and was asking me all sorts of questions about the Killingsworths, for her new book i think.

possibly. Kathryn says she got all the sheets back but just before i handed them back i had a quick check to see they were all there and some i read were not there anymore... :huh:

Oh also i think its time to mention this.. When Norman and Vicki D’Adly arrived last night, I helped them with some luggage from their RV. I noticed the RV was filled with boxes — much more than two people would ever need on vacation.

and at about 3:00 PM, I was fixing the wiring in the Wine Vaults when Dr. Chelsea Barren joined me and was asking me all sorts of questions about the Killingsworths, for her new book i think.

Hmm...remember what was on those missing sheets? You must have some idea or else you wouldn't have noticed they were missing...

Interesting...D'Adlys...what were the boxes for? Did they contain gold mining equipment?

You were "fixing up" the wiring, huh...fixing it so that the lights wouldn't turn on? Or did Dr. Barren fix them that way after you left, since she saw you messing with them and therefore knew where they were?

Hmm...remember what was on those missing sheets? You must have some idea or else you wouldn't have noticed they were missing...

Interesting...D'Adlys...what were the boxes for? Did they contain gold mining equipment?

You were "fixing up" the wiring, huh...fixing it so that the lights wouldn't turn on? Or did Dr. Barren fix them that way after you left, since she saw you messing with them and therefore knew where they were?

oh i just remembered them from the pictures that were on there, one had a bridge, that im certain.

I was installing a couple of new lights. Dr. Barren left when i didnt talk about anything interesting, but she may of come back, its never locked.

oh i just remembered them from the pictures that were on there, one had a bridge, that im certain.

I was installing a couple of new lights. Dr. Barren left when i didnt talk about anything interesting, but she may of come back, its never locked.

Was the message about the gold you revealed earlier part of the missing papers? When was the last time you saw those papers, i.e. when did they go missing?

When did the D'Adlys arrive again? And wasn't Mr. Nightshade at the library? Maybe he wanted to look at those sheets but he found someone else (Enrique) had already checked them out...

Edit: Also, did you notice anyone else around the wiring area?

Edited by Yoruichi-san

Was the message about the gold you revealed earlier part of the missing papers? When was the last time you saw those papers, i.e. when did they go missing?

When did the D'Adlys arrive again? And wasn't Mr. Nightshade at the library? Maybe he wanted to look at those sheets but he found someone else (Enrique) had already checked them out...

Edit: Also, did you notice anyone else around the wiring area?

no the letter i found while looking for the lost papers.

No i didn't see anyone but i did hear the occasional rustle. Nothing out the ordinary, there are rats down there.

I knew I can't keep this long, all right I going to tell you now. Norman is in deep deep debts! We have to sell our house to clear his debt. We are now staying in our RV. Those boxes are putting our belongings and some will be the base of our bed!

This could be totally irrelevant and me just being picky as per usual, but how did you know that the lights were broken? Did someone tell you to fix them? Or maybe you went down there before?

I knew I can't keep this long, all right I going to tell you now. Norman is in deep deep debts! We have to sell our house to clear his debt. We are now staying in our RV. Those boxes are putting our belongings and some will be the base of our bed!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. How are you and Norman planning to pay off those debts? I heard something about a job, but is there anything else?

This could be totally irrelevant and me just being picky as per usual, but how did you know that the lights were broken? Did someone tell you to fix them? Or maybe you went down there before?

Actually, if he did fix the lights like he claimed, someone else must have cut the power afterwards, since the lights didn't come on when the body was found. That makes Dr. Barren, who saw him fixing the wiring, and therefore knew where it was, a prime suspect ;P.

Actually, if he did fix the lights like he claimed, someone else must have cut the power afterwards, since the lights didn't come on when the body was found. That makes Dr. Barren, who saw him fixing the wiring, and therefore knew where it was, a prime suspect ;P.

So you're accusing me of murder based on the fact that another suspect suggested that he was fixing the wiring, and I had seen him fixing it and therefore known how to cut it? I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make much sense to me. Are you positive that he was really fixing the wiring, as he claimed?

So you're accusing me of murder based on the fact that another suspect suggested that he was fixing the wiring, and I had seen him fixing it and therefore known how to cut it? I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make much sense to me. Are you positive that he was really fixing the wiring, as he claimed?

Well...I'm actually accusing you b/c you had motive (you thought she killed Robert) and opportunity (to cut the wiring as well as kill)...we'll see about the means once we are told what the murder weapon was ;P. But about Enrique...you saw him...what did it look like he was doing?

Elizabeth was placing some bottles in the cellar this morning and she said it was still too dark so she asked me to install some more lights. I think that was why she was in the cellar when she was murdered, checking i had done the job.

Elizabeth was placing some bottles in the cellar this morning and she said it was still too dark so she asked me to install some more lights. I think that was why she was in the cellar when she was murdered, checking i had done the job.

Uh...but the lights didn't come on...so either you didn't do the job or somebody else messed with them after you fixed them...

Michael, What happened after Elizabeth got stung? Have you ever been inside the wine vaults?

Norman, Did Vicky have any other sisters besides Elizabeth to share the inheritance with? What were you doing around 3:45pm this afternoon? Have you seen Enrique today?

Kathryn, You are the gossip queen; do you know how Robert was killed?

Enrique, have you meet Dr. Chelsea before today?

Round Four — The Examination

The Scenario:

You have returned to the Wine Vaults with a flashlight in hand. In the light, you can see the many meandering paths formed by the stacked oak barrels of wine and almost get lost. Coming upon the body, you confirm that it is, in fact, Elizabeth Killingsworth, and you immediately see the cause of her death. A golden corkscrew juts from the right side of her neck. There appears to be something inscribed on the corkscrew, but the pool of blood prevents you from getting close enough to the body for a closer inspection.

The sight of Elizabeth’s body is too gruesome for some of the guests and you decide to return, once again, to the main house to ponder these new clues.

Haha.. Thats what you have to work out :D

ooc: HAHA! Everyone's the murderers except moi! :o

Kathryn, You are the gossip queen; do you know how Robert was killed?

I already mentioned it, but I shall say it again...

Yes, I have been puzzling over this little problem quite a while. I knew Robert was a very strong and capable man, and I doubt he would die so easily. It seems like he was surprised or...tricked.

Round Four — The Examination

The Scenario:

You have returned to the Wine Vaults with a flashlight in hand. In the light, you can see the many meandering paths formed by the stacked oak barrels of wine and almost get lost. Coming upon the body, you confirm that it is, in fact, Elizabeth Killingsworth, and you immediately see the cause of her death. A golden corkscrew juts from the right side of her neck. There appears to be something inscribed on the corkscrew, but the pool of blood prevents you from getting close enough to the body for a closer inspection.

The sight of Elizabeth’s body is too gruesome for some of the guests and you decide to return, once again, to the main house to ponder these new clues.

The corkscrew? And it's gold? Norman and Vicki, can you explain this? And was Michael Nightshade and I the only ones who saw this? Maybe Mr. Nightshade saw the corkscrew in Elizabeth's hand which was given to her by Norman, and he decided to frame Norman by killing Elizabeth with the gift? Although I'm beginning to doubt Norman or Vicki are the culprits. I doubt they will publicly present the gift and then kill Elizabeth with it.

Also, who inherits the property now?

Yes, I have been puzzling over this little problem quite a while. I knew Robert was a very strong and capable man, and I doubt he would die so easily. It seems like he was surprised or...tricked.

The corkscrew? And it's gold? Norman and Vicki, can you explain this? And was Michael Nightshade and I the only ones who saw this? Maybe Mr. Nightshade saw the corkscrew in Elizabeth's hand which was given to her by Norman, and he decided to frame Norman by killing Elizabeth with the gift? Although I'm beginning to doubt Norman or Vicki are the culprits. I doubt they will publicly present the gift and then kill Elizabeth with it.

I do not have any idea about the corkscrew.

Uh...isn't gold a relatively soft metal? Could you actually stab someone with a corkscrew (which is thin) made of gold? Perhaps the gold was just a covering layer and the inside was steel...

Uh...isn't gold a relatively soft metal? Could you actually stab someone with a corkscrew (which is thin) made of gold? Perhaps the gold was just a covering layer and the inside was steel...

Gold been soft, I suspect, is still harder than neck flesh..

Michael, What happened after Elizabeth got stung? Have you ever been inside the wine vaults?

After she got stung? She went inside to clean off the sting, and I figured it would be a good time for me to make some business calls. And yes, I have been in the wine vaults. Elizabeth showed them to me on the tour, we tasted wine, and discussed sale. When the lights went out, Elizabeth went out to see what the problem was. When she didn't come back, I went back to the main area of the house, and saw...well a lot of you crowded around. I haven't seen Elizabeth since...

And was Michael Nightshade and I the only ones who saw this? Maybe Mr. Nightshade saw the corkscrew in Elizabeth's hand which was given to her by Norman, and he decided to frame Norman by killing Elizabeth with the gift?

Let me clarify; I didn't know what Elizabeth was holding, I just knew she didn't seem to realize she was holding it. I never knew it was a corkscrew until you all mentioned it. But Kathryn, you're asking all these questions, but you aren't eliminated from being a suspect either...you have legit reasons for killing Elizabeth as well...<_<

<(^-^)>

Edited by Kathleen