BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hello all,

I have returned to the den. I have internet at my flat now, so should be able to make regular occurrences here again. To get back into the mindset of the weird and wacky thinking, the way of the den, I am stating back with a game. It is hopefully new to you guys ( not sure what everyone has been up to, though I do notice some post counts have increased a lot). Enjoy.

The Scenario:

One year ago, Robert Killingsworth bought the farm. Six months later he was dead — leaving his widow Elizabeth to tend to their fledging vineyard and winery on the outskirts of California's wine country. With mounting debts and no idea how to run a business, Elizabeth is desperate to sell the farm and recoup her losses. The fierce drought and shaky economy, however have left Killlngsworth Farm on the market for far too long.

One early autumn day, six people passed through the gates of Killingsworth Farm to see Elizabeth...

One of them, a cold—blooded Killer:

Michael Nightshade — This real estate developer from New York arrived unannounced with plans to buy Killingsworth Farm and develop it into a low-cost housing community. His boss ordered him to obtain the Killlngsworth land at any cost...

Dr. Chelsea Barren — After suffering a nervous breakdown, this psychiatrist and near-best-selling author moved to Northern California to relax... but she moved next door to the Killingsworths instead.

Enrique Graves — This young drifter wandered onto Killingsworth Farm last year just as Robert and Elizabeth were moving in. Elizabeth took a liking to Enrique and he has lived on the farm ever since — tending to the fie|ds... among other things.

Vicki D’Adly - Elizabeth’s estranged sister from New Jersey, she and her husband were traveling on vacation when Vicki decided to drop by Killingsworth Farm for a visit... a surprise visit.

Norman D’Adly - A real estate broker from New Jersey and husband to Vicki, Norman is trying to salvage his job and his marriage while travelling across the country on vacation.

Kathryn Lawless — Best friend to Elizabeth, this local librarian and historian has a flare for the eccentric. She lives down the road with her 15 cats and loves true crime - especially the mysterious unsolved death of Robert Killingsworth.

Which of these people has a secret worth killing for? Come to Killingsworth Farm and find out before it is too late?

Signup:

Michael Nightshade -

Dr. Chelsea Barren -

Enrique Graves -

Vicki D’Adly -

Norman D’Adly -

Kathryn Lawless -

Detectives ( maximum of 4 )

These detective roles don't take part in the story, but they can interograte the players involved in the story.

• Answers 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I do not know whether I should tell this, but I want everyone of you know that my sister Elizabeth hates Dr. Chelsea. She admitted to you after this afternoon lunch!

Kathryn, if you could remember when we had lunch together with my sis this afternoon, Dr Chelsea seemed to invited herself to join us. Don't you feel that Elizabeth was uncomfortable? You are her best friend. You could tell how she felt that moment, right?

Ah yes! I believe it was around 1:30 when Dr. Barren, Elizabeth and you all had lunch at the Killingsworth Farmhouse. I do agree that Elizabeth seems a bit...agitated. She kept on trying to change the subject many times from the conversation concerning Michael Nightshade. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure we were talking about Michael wanting to turn the farm into a low cost housing development. Wasn't the doctor very unhappy about the prospects? Why the unhappiness, Dr. Barren?

Vicky; Did you have breakfast with Norman this morning?

Norman; How come you wanted to be a real estate agent?

Michael; What happened with your last land development project? Was it successfully?

Enrigue; Did you talk to Elizabeth after Robert Died? How was she coping?

OOC: i the player dont realy understand why... but i think it has something to do with...

Er... i got Vicki pregnant. We were young and foolish adn i needed a job to keep things going. We also got married because of it.

Hmm...how do you know it was her screaming? Why couldn't it have been the screaming of the first person to find the body...

In fact, if she were attacked from behind in the dark as the scenario implies, she wouldn't have seen her attacker and would have no reason to scream...so who was the one screaming, i.e. the first person on the scene?

Funny you mention that. I was just thinking about how Robert was a strong and capable man, yet he was bludgeoned to death. So, his killer must have surprised him...or tricked him. Who was the last person to see him alive?

Er... i got Vicki pregnant. We were young and foolish adn i needed a job to keep things going. We also got married because of it.

Speaking of *cough* pregnancy, I would like to tell you something. Around 1 PM, the Killingsworth telephone rang and I answered it. To my surprised, it was a lawfirm calling for Norman! Norman was on the phone in the study for the next hour and a half, and I being an unrastrainably curious person (one doesn't get any gossip without spying!), I listened in the phone call. Yes, it was a very mean thing to do, but I will hardly regret it since I found very interesting news. Apparently, Norman was talking to a lawyer about sexual harassment lawsuit and something about embezzlement! What in the world can that mean, Norman? Care to explain?

Speaking of *cough* pregnancy, I would like to tell you something. Around 1 PM, the Killingsworth telephone rang and I answered it. To my surprised, it was a lawfirm calling for Norman! Norman was on the phone in the study for the next hour and a half, and I being an unrastrainably curious person (one doesn't get any gossip without spying!), I listened in the phone call. Yes, it was a very mean thing to do, but I will hardly regret it since I found very interesting news. Apparently, Norman was talking to a lawyer about sexual harassment lawsuit and something about embezzlement! What in the world can that mean, Norman? Care to explain?

Do you ever stay out of anybody else's personal matters! Yes, I did do that, there happy. Vicki never lets me do anything with her. I get bored sometimes! It was a mistake though. That is also the reason I am on a administrative leave. I also borrowed some money too. They found out and now i am fired! There now you know everything so can you get out of my life?! Also I heard the reason she doesn't like Chelsea is because of that darn book she is writing and they started arguing, earlier I saw Enrique looking for something, and the fact that Vicki is related to Elizabeth makes this whole place her property now! I am through with this place and what bugs me the most is that the reason i came here now is GONE!

Michael; What happened with your last land development project? Was it successful?

Well...lets just say we didn't get to the land fast enough, and another company bought it out before us. That's why I wanted to get here so fast, as to not lose another project. I had no idea about the gold though :wacko:

<(^-^)>

"while we are all gathered here i found this yesterday while cleaning the farmhouse..."

Clue

Handwritten yellowed letter stamped "Marcocain Public Library — Vertical Files G4 7-06"

Marcocain, Cal

September 18, 1850

Dear Sister,

I want you to come join me. I want you to bring John, Virginia, and Little Bill. This land is unequaled and the world has never presented such a picture as California now presents.

This letter must reach you in confidence, however. I have found an untapped vein of gold in the valley on my farm. God willing, it may yield hundreds if not thousands of pounds of gold! I need to mine that gold, but have invested everything I own in this farm. Others are arriving fast from far away states to prospect. I will keep them from my find as long as possible, but we must move swiftly. I need money to hire men I can trust. I must keep this a secret as long as possible. If you can, sell your property and bring all the money you can.

I will write again shortly and instruct you how to cross the plains.

From Your Affectionate Brother

Samuel Friedmont

The following handwritten script appears on the reverse of the page:

Friedmont!

1850: 1oz Gold = $18.50 x 16(oz/pound) x 1000 lbs = $296,000.00

$296,000.00 in 1850 = $6,l50,067.02 Today!!!

"belong to anyone? Prehaps you Norman? just suggesting as Kathryn said she saw something gold in your bag..."

ooc: doing this now as i know you will all be impatient for it while i am at school ;)

Thanks...wow...the evidence against Norman is stacking up...

OOC: i the player dont realy understand why... but i think it has something to do with...

I don't recall you mentioning anything about a son/daughter...what happened to the child?

Again...where did the money for the silver charm bracelet for Vicki come from then?

Do you ever stay out of anybody else's personal matters! Yes, I did do that, there happy. Vicki never lets me do anything with her. I get bored sometimes! It was a mistake though. That is also the reason I am on a administrative leave. I also borrowed some money too. They found out and now i am fired! There now you know everything so can you get out of my life?! Also I heard the reason she doesn't like Chelsea is because of that darn book she is writing and they started arguing, earlier I saw Enrique looking for something, and the fact that Vicki is related to Elizabeth makes this whole place her property now! I am through with this place and what bugs me the most is that the reason i came here now is GONE!

Aha. So you married Vicki out of duty, not love. The one you really loved was Elizabeth...

To everyone: Where were you and what were you doing after everyone separated and before the body was found?

Well! I'll admit that I did join Ms. Elizabeth for lunch yeserday, but is this alone truly enough to make the woman hate me? I see no reason for her to have such strong feelings towards me.

And, whilst we're letting out information, I've known for quite a while now that Enrique keeps a marijuana crop down by the lake. I've wondered for just as long if he has a drug problem, and if anyone else knows of it.

Edit: Misspelled 'wondered'. :blush:

You know what Dr Chelsea Barren? I took a peak through your notebook during this afternoon lunch. I know this is rude but it really worth! I noticed your notes regarding my sister-in-law's murder! You seem to think Robert was killed in this house. In the notes, you also mentioned:

A drop of blood was found on the carpet in front of Robert's study computer. His files had been rifled through, the phone was off of the hook.

My sis believes that bloodstain had been there for years. She could not explain the disarray of the phone or papers, however!

Well...lets just say we didn't get to the land fast enough, and another company bought it out before us. That's why I wanted to get here so fast, as to not lose another project. I had no idea about the gold though :wacko:

<(^-^)>

Michael Nightshade! I finally recognize you! I swear I did find you familiar the moment I came here yesterday. I met you last year, at Norman's company holiday party! You must work at the same real estate brokerage firm! I just don't know that the company developed land, though and certainly not in California!

Thanks...wow...the evidence against Norman is stacking up...

I don't recall you mentioning anything about a son/daughter...what happened to the child?

vicki: Check the most previous post, we have 3 boy!

Again...where did the money for the silver charm bracelet for Vicki come from then?

Aha. So you married Vicki out of duty, not love. The one you really loved was Elizabeth...

vicki: Uh! I really hate to hear this. :(

To everyone: Where were you and what were you doing after everyone separated and before the body was found?

Excuse me! All I want to do is solve this case as soon as possible! Don't you see the danger that is in this room right now? How about if the killer goes mad and kills us all?!?!

As Y-san mentioned, you love Elizabeth more than Vicki? And where did you borrow the money from?

Dr. Barren, what was your book about and what topic of it made Elizabeth mad?

Enrique, what were you looking at?

And I believe Vicki just made herself the top suspect :P Vicki, do you know any interesting information about the property?

<(^-^)>

Hmm, I see...suspect #2 (after Vicki, that is :P )

ooc: dunno... :P

You know what Dr Chelsea Barren? I took a peak through your notebook during this afternoon lunch. I know this is rude but it really worth! I noticed your notes regarding my sister-in-law's murder! You seem to think Robert was killed in this house. In the notes, you also mentioned:

A drop of blood was found on the carpet in front of Robert's study computer. His files had been rifled through, the phone was off of the hook.

My sis believes that bloodstain had been there for years. She could not explain the disarray of the phone or papers, however!

Dr. Barren, how did you come across this information, and why are you so interested in this case?

So, if this is true, the killer must have been interested in something. This most likely eliminates Norman as a suspect. They were probably after the land, but must have been pretty desperate. And maybe have a partner in crime? Talie, is there only one murderer?

Michael Nightshade! I finally recognize you! I swear I did find you familiar the moment I came here yesterday. I met you last year, at Norman's company holiday party! You must work at the same real estate brokerage firm! I just don't know that the company developed land, though and certainly not in California!

Er...are you sure that was me? I don't exactly remember this party, or going with a real estate brokerage firm...perhaps you're mistaking me for someone else?

<(^-^)>

My, all the questions pertaining me. First of all, I was the last to see Robert alive. We met for lunch, and afterwards I left in order to keep an appointment with my publisher - at which point he was very much alive.

Speaking of the book: yes, Elizabeth and I disagreed a bit over my upcoming novel. I suppose it's best to get this out in the open sooner rather than later - I've written it about Robert's death, particularily his murder. In the novel, (and I'm not saying this is pertinent to real life, though I've my suspicions) the man is murdered by his wife for insurance money. Elizabeth felt I was wrong in doing so - but really, could I let such a perfect opportunity for a book pass under my nose?

Oh? So perhaps he knew about the gold as well...

My, all the questions pertaining me. First of all, I was the last to see Robert alive. We met for lunch, and afterwards I left in order to keep an appointment with my publisher - at which point he was very much alive.

Speaking of the book: yes, Elizabeth and I disagreed a bit over my upcoming novel. I suppose it's best to get this out in the open sooner rather than later - I've written it about Robert's death, particularily his murder. In the novel, (and I'm not saying this is pertinent to real life, though I've my suspicions) the man is murdered by his wife for insurance money. Elizabeth felt I was wrong in doing so - but really, could I let such a perfect opportunity for a book pass under my nose?

Hmm...you were having lunch with Robert? Why? What did you discuss? Why are you suspicious about Elizabeth killing Robert?

On another note...what if the gold Kathryn saw Norman with was not what he bought, but what he was trading in? Trade the gold for a silver charm bracelet...so where did the gold come from? Find it somewhere on the Killingsworth estate...

Although since Norman seems to care for Elizabeth, it makes him less likely her murderer, it doesn't completely clear him. Perhaps he killed Robert and Elizabeth found out...so he killed her to silence her. Or maybe they conspired together in Robert's murder, but Elizabeth's conscience was too much for her and she was going to confess...

Also, keep in mind the corkscrew. Perhaps Vicki took it with her after she killed Robert, Norman found it and gave it to Elizabeth, who seeing it, realized Vicki was the murderer and confronted her...and then Vicki killed her...

Oh? So perhaps he knew about the gold as well...

Hmm...you were having lunch with Robert? Why? What did you discuss? Why are you suspicious about Elizabeth killing Robert?

On another note...what if the gold Kathryn saw Norman with was not what he bought, but what he was trading in? Trade the gold for a silver charm bracelet...so where did the gold come from? Find it somewhere on the Killingsworth estate...

Although since Norman seems to care for Elizabeth, it makes him less likely her murderer, it doesn't completely clear him. Perhaps he killed Robert and Elizabeth found out...so he killed her to silence her. Or maybe they conspired together in Robert's murder, but Elizabeth's conscience was too much for her and she was going to confess...

Also, keep in mind the corkscrew. Perhaps Vicki took it with her after she killed Robert, Norman found it and gave it to Elizabeth, who seeing it, realized Vicki was the murderer and confronted her...and then Vicki killed her...

Wow, you really everyone has high potential to be the murderer :huh:

For insurance money? Oh my god, did you know about the truth? Robert doesn't left any insurance for Elizabeth! Hence there is no reason for my sis kill her husband for the money!

Ah, Robert and I had lunch together often. We discussed the usual - our...erm...relationship. Yes, Robert and I were romantically involved. I'd been unwilling to say anything because of Elizabeth, but now that she's unfortunately dead, I don't see the harm it can do. And don't you go interpreting this the wrong way! I did not kill Elizabeth Killingsworth - I merely cheated on my husband with hers. And as for my suspicions? Up until Vicki said something, I'd believed that she killed him herself to collect the insurance money.

Edit: Adding things beyond the first sentence . :lol:

Edited by Kay

Wow, you really everyone has high potential to be the murderer :huh:

Lol...just keeping the options open ;P

Ah, Robert and I had lunch together often. We discussed the usual - our...erm...relationship. Yes, Robert and I were romantically involved. I'd been unwilling to say anything because of Elizabeth, but now that she's unfortunately dead, I don't see the harm it can do. And don't you go interpreting this the wrong way! I did not kill Elizabeth Killingsworth - I merely cheated on my husband with hers. And as for my suspicions? Up until Vicki said something, I'd believed that she killed him herself to collect the insurance money.

Edit: Adding things beyond the first sentence . :lol:

I thought that was what you meant when you said you lied...so you thought that Elizabeth killed the man you loved, huh...

And, whilst we're letting out information, I've known for quite a while now that Enrique keeps a marijuana crop down by the lake. I've wondered for just as long if he has a drug problem, and if anyone else knows of it.

yes i did have some marijuana growing... but i never had any myself. i just sold it for some money, and i stopped that a little while ago.

Enrique, what were you looking at?

I had misplaced a couple of my history sheats and were looking for them, Kathryn wanted them back.

yes i did have some marijuana growing... but i never had any myself. i just sold it for some money, and i stopped that a little while ago.

I had misplaced a couple of my history sheats and were looking for them, Kathryn wanted them back.

Why did you stop? Did Elizabeth or Robert catch you and force you to stop or else they'd go to the police? What was on those particular history sheets that Kathryn wanted back so badly?

Why did you stop? Did Elizabeth or Robert catch you and force you to stop or else they'd go to the police? What was on those particular history sheets that Kathryn wanted back so badly?

i stopped because i saw it was wrong and it was getting me into to bad situations.

I dont know why Kathryn wanted the sheets back, i suppose it was because they belonged to the library.

Ah, I suppose I may be able to help? I found a piece of paper lying on the ground, but I didn't have any time to read it. Perhaps it's yours.

In that case, the death must have occurred after Dr. Barren left, eliminating her as a suspect? (for Robert's death, anyhow). Also, was Elizabeth the one who sued you?

For insurance money? Oh my god, did you know about the truth? Robert doesn't left any insurance for Elizabeth! Hence there is no reason for my sis kill her husband for the money!

Really? So, if Robert dies, everything is left to Elizabeth. When she dies, who is everything left to?

Err...don't remember no history sheets :P

In that case, the death must have occurred after Dr. Barren left, eliminating her as a suspect? (for Robert's death, anyhow). Also, was Elizabeth the one who sued you?

No, Elizabeth wasn't the one who sued me. It was some other fatheaded star whose name is no longer important to me.

OOC: I don't know who sued me, and I assume it's not of any importance. The lawsuit was over my first novel.