BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Prof. Templeton

Question

Long before Professor Templeton started his career at the Redrum University he had a job at Whiskey distillery in Tennessee. Occasionally the distillery would produce unfilled barrels at the end of a run. These were usually set aside and an "Old-timer" would come once a month and buy them at a discount. One month he showed up and bought six semi-filled barrels of whiskey, five were regular quality whiskey and one was of superior quality. Being a curious sort, I asked him what he did with the barrels after he bought them. He told me he usually resold them to various characters, but his family had two weddings coming up and he was giving some of the regular whiskey for his son's wedding and twice as much for his daughter's wedding. The one barrel of "the good stuff" he was keeping for himself. The quantity of whiskey in the six barrels was 15,16,18,19,20 and 31 gallons. How much whiskey did the man keep for himself? None of the transferred from their initial barrels.

Edited by Prof. Templeton

7 answers to this question

Long before Professor Templeton started his career at the Redrum University he had a job at Whiskey distillery in Tennessee. Occasionally the distillery would produce unfilled barrels at the end of a run. These were usually set aside and an "Old-timer" would come once a month and buy them at a discount. One month he showed up and bought six semi-filled barrels of whiskey, five were regular quality whiskey and one was of superior quality. Being a curious sort, I asked him what he did with the barrels after he bought them. He told me he usually resold them to various characters, but his family had two weddings coming up and he was giving some of the regular whiskey for his son's wedding and twice as much for his daughter's wedding. The one barrel of "the good stuff" he was keeping for himself. The quantity of whiskey in the six barrels was 15,16,18,19,20 and 31 gallons. How much whiskey did the man keep for himself? None of the transferred from their initial barrels.

He kept 20 gallons. If you take away any of the other barrels, the remaining amount of gallons is not a multiple of 3. Therefore, the only possible answer is that he keeps the 20 gallon barrel.

The son gets the 15gal and the 18gal, totalling 33gal.

The daughter gets the 16gal, the 19gal and the 31gal, totalling 66gal.

[spoiler='for himself

']For his sons wedding he gave the 15 and 18 gallon barrels for a total of 33 gallons, leaving 86 gallons. The old man gave the 16, 19, and 31 gallon barrells to his daughter for a total of 66 gallons, leaving one barrel of 20 gallons. This must have been "the good stuff" that the man kept for himself.

To answer your question- The man kept 20 gallons of whiskey for himself.

Edited by IDoNotExist