BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Brothers and sisters, it is time to stand united and strike a blow for making the world a better place! Let's identify all the little things that are wrong with the world and have a good rant about them, then maybe the Powers That Be will sit up and take notice (or perhaps not).

Like central locking systems on cars, for instance. Why is it that when you press the button to unlock it you hear the clunk telling you it's unlocked but if you don't wait another second before pulling on the door handle the door stays locked! Whats that all about? Is it some kind of punishment for being hasty? And washing machines, too. You've started a wash and then you decide to stop it and open the door (cos you left some tissues in the pocket of the trousers you're washing, say). That's what you want to do, so why do you have to wait 2 minutes before it will let you do it? Either it's full of water or it aint, and if it aint then what's the problem? Does the machine release little demons to help remove stains, and they need to be exorcised before opening the door so they don't get out and cause trouble?

And milk cartons that just glup milk all over themselves and you and the table instead of pouring it. How's that still possible in the 21st century?

Oh and don't get me started on bowls. What is it with bowls? I'm speaking of the crockery variety you use for soup or breakfast cereal or whatever. The point of a bowl is it's a receptacle for holding liquids, hence it needs to go up at the sides a bit more than, say, a plate would. How do the designers of bowls keep forgetting this fact? Either they make them with a tiny piddling little indentation in the middle so it holds nothing, or they have edges at the shallowest angle imaginable so you can't possibly move your bowl of soup from A to B without slopping it everywhere. Is this some great design principle? That we must suffer for our crockery in the name of elegance? How elegant can a person be with soup all over them?

...and breathe. Someone else's turn.

• Answers 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ugh... you have no idea :wacko:

I wasn't until around 30-40 years ago that one of our presidents added the "under god" part to the pledge because christianity was the rage back then. I haven't had the time to find out who it was, but I official despise him now. Also, if you look closely at the words to the pledge, "and to the republic for which it stands" means that you are pledging your allegiance to the current president, without your knowledge or consent -_-

I HATE THE PLEDGE. As you said, its really controlling.

Wow...I really feel sorry for you :( I have to do nothing of that sort other than the Chapel stuff, in which we say really cheesy stuff about Jesus and him being our only savior, and may he guide us towards the Light (which I myself believe is death by the way the priest puts it :P ).

Ugh... you have no idea :wacko:

I wasn't until around 30-40 years ago that one of our presidents added the "under god" part to the pledge because christianity was the rage back then. I haven't had the time to find out who it was, but I official despise him now. Also, if you look closely at the words to the pledge, "and to the republic for which it stands" means that you are pledging your allegiance to the current president, without your knowledge or consent -_-

I HATE THE PLEDGE. As you said, its really controlling.

It sounds really stupid *no offence* I mean, what exactly are you agreeing to every morning? Are you offering to be a good citizen or are you putting up your life for a country that you reside in? Also, you'd think they'd take out the religious part >.<

<(^-^)>

I completely agree, saying the pledge is actually a very contriversial issue. Why are we forced to say "under god" if we don't even believe in it? :angry: I thought church and state (schools) were supposed to work independantly. I still refuse to this day to say the "under god" part of the pledge, even if I am forced to say the rest. <_<

I usually avoid that part as well, but it's become so mechanical to me I often forget. <_<

It sounds really stupid *no offence* I mean, what exactly are you agreeing to every morning? Are you offering to be a good citizen or are you putting up your life for a country that you reside in? Also, you'd think they'd take out the religious part >.<

<(^-^)>

Hehe :lol: Insult America all you want around me, I don't care whatsoever. :D

That's what I hate about it! The Pledge was meant to be unspecific! That's one of the biggest reasons I hardly ever say it, I have no idea what I'm pledging to! :angry:

To the religious part: People have been trying to get the "under god" part out of the pledge since it was first added ;) But our government has "never gotten around to it".

Edited by RainThinker

Personally, I don't mind the excessive amounts of candy :P But Valentine's day is just stupid! I mean, we have a massive holiday for all dating/married couples (what I consider a minority), but what about all the single people? They're all left to sit around all day watching couples act all lovey-dovey and give each other presents! <_< I currently celebrate my own holiday today I call "Singles Appreciation Day" for all the single people out there. It involves eating chocolate and having fun without having to waste money on anyone other than yourself! Who wants to join me in my celebration of being single?

Um... maybe you have chosen this name for your "holiday" subconsciously, cause the acronym for Singles Appreciation Day is SAD? *chuckles* ^_^

I hate Valentines day too!! All the couples in love, or pretending to be in love are all kissy and smoochy... :rolleyes: ugh!

Um... maybe you have chosen this name for your "holiday" subconsciously, cause the acronym for Singles Appreciation Day is SAD? *chuckles* ^_^

I hate Valentines day too!! All the couples in love, or pretending to be in love are all kissy and smoochy... :rolleyes: ugh!

I actually like Valentine's Day... sorry everyone :blush: . I agree about the commercial aspect of it being pathetic like the commercial aspect of most things, but I ignore that. I don't buy into the chocolates and flowers way of thinking either, people can be alot more creative than that if they want to.

Edited by Joe's Student

Hehe :lol: Insult America all you want around me, I don't care whatsoever. :D

That's what I hate about it! The Pledge was meant to be unspecific! That's one of the biggest reasons I hardly ever say it, I have no idea what I'm pledging to! :angry:

To the religious part: People have been trying to get the "under god" part out of the pledge since it was first added ;) But our government has "never gotten around to it".

I have to say from a foreigner's perspective the whole idea of standing there pledging allegiance to a flag and a republic seems utterly insane, and excessively nationalistic, so it's nice to see some Americans think so too :D . I mean, you obey the law (when you think people are looking), and pay your taxes (when you can't avoid it), and as far as I'm concerned that's about as far as a person's duty to the state should go. If you pledge allegiance to the flag does that mean that if someone's waving a stars and stripes flag you have to do anything they tell you? Since the flag is a symbol and has no will of its own it's a bit daft isn't it, like pledging allegiance to the letter "T".

What I would like to know is: what happens if you just flat-out refuse to say the pledge of Allegiance? Is there a penalty? I know it's only words, but as a matter of principle a person shouldn't be obliged to make some vague commitment they don't even understand to both an arbitrary symbol and a government body.

Hahaha... now that I thought of it we had something similar in communist times, no God though (of course) hehehe...

It goes:

Today, as I become a Pioneer,

I give my Pioneer's word of honour -

That I will study and work tirelessly,

respect parents and my seniors,

and be a loyal and honest friend [or "comrade"].

That I will love our independent homeland SFRY.

That I will spread brotherhood and unity

and the principles for which comrade Tito fought.

And that I will value all the people of the world who respect freedom and peace!

(Courtesy of Wikipedia)

We became Pioneers on Tito's birthday and I can't remember how often, and when we were obliged to repeat it, but I still know it by heart and I loved it! :D

Of course while the communists were in power they stole everything that could be stolen and left us with immense debts we have never recovered from... so much about honor and honesty... <_<

Edited by andromeda

Today, as I become a Pioneer,

I give my Pioneer's word of honour -

That I will study and work tirelessly,

respect parents and my seniors,

and be a loyal and honest friend [or "comrade"].

That I will love our independent homeland SFRY.

That I will spread brotherhood and unity

and the principles for which comrade Tito fought.

And that I will value all the people of the world who respect freedom and peace!

I like that a lot better than the American one. It's quite low on commitment and more about values. Then again, what if your personal values are different? It's still an obligation to make some personal statement you might not agree with.

Of course while the communists were in power they stole everything that could be stolen and left us with immense debts we have never recovered from... so much about honor and honesty... <_<
Maybe they had different personal values after all...

Oh well. At least the sentiments were nice!

<(^-^)>

Ahem.

The UK, and most other Commonwealth countries, (including Canada) have what is called an "Oath of Allegiance", in which one swears fealty to Her Majesty, and her heirs and descendants, apparently including those that are yet unborn. So help you God.

I'm a bit surprised some people in high school still have the Pledge. If I recall correctly, we stopped most of our bizarre morning rituals in junior high. I was especially pleased when we no longer had to recite the Lord's Prayer or march around doing those weird calisthenics. By the time I'd finished high school, we didn't even have the national anthem on a daily basis. I guess it depends on your state and school board.

The UK, and most other Commonwealth countries, (including Canada) have what is called an "Oath of Allegiance", in which one swears fealty to Her Majesty, and her heirs and descendants, apparently including those that are yet unborn. So help you God.
Really? Being born and raised UKish, I can confidently state I have never encountered such a thing. Not to say it doesn't exist, just that we were never required to say it, which is kind of the point.

We did have to say the Lord's Prayer at primary school, "Harold be thy name" and all that. I resented it at the time.

PS. I still haven't found out the penalty for refusing to say the Pledge of Allegiance. Anybody want to take a stand on that and tell me what happens?

PS. I still haven't found out the penalty for refusing to say the Pledge of Allegiance. Anybody want to take a stand on that and tell me what happens?

None, as far as I know. And anyway, I'm pretty sure you could successfully shield yourself behind the First Amendment in the unlikely event that you were somehow prosecuted. I believe some parents have lobbied successfully to have the Pledge and the Lord's Prayer either removed from schools, or have their children excused from it. There are (usu. civil service) jobs that require you to recite an oath of office, but I don't know of any that use the PoA, and if you refused, you would simply be pointed in the direction of the nearest soup kitchen.

But this does remind me: there was a girl in my class who would not stand for the national anthem, on her parents' orders, because they were not (yet?) citizens. She was at my school for many years, so I don't think they were temporary residents, nor did they have seem to have any intention of ever leaving. I suppose there was a political message somewhere in there, but I still think that it was going a bit too far. I have visited many countries, including the Soviet Union (back when there was one, and we were mortal enemies), and have never, nor would I ever, refuse to stand for the playing of any country's national anthem.

Not to mention, it could be bad for your health. Imagine me, as the only person sitting in, say, the Kop at Anfield, trying to explain that I'm an American and really don't think the Queen needs saving, and this isn't even real football anyway. :P

Really? Being born and raised UKish, I can confidently state I have never encountered such a thing. Not to say it doesn't exist, just that we were never required to say it, which is kind of the point.

We did have to say the Lord's Prayer at primary school, "Harold be thy name" and all that. I resented it at the time.

Students can request not to say the pledge of alliegance, but they usually still have to stand. As long as they are not disrupting the class or making a big deal about it there is no penalty (depending on the school, there are some teachers who get pretty bent out of shape, but the courts will never force someone to say the pledge.)

Students can request not to say the pledge of alliegance, but they usually still have to stand. As long as they are not disrupting the class or making a big deal about it there is no penalty (depending on the school, there are some teachers who get pretty bent out of shape, but the courts will never force someone to say the pledge.)
I think most people have a God of their own so, one nation under God should not kill anyone. Alot of unnecessary propaganda.

Now back to the rants: I believe speed - bumps are there to protect kids, animals etc. That is all good, but when you need to get somewhere in a hurry, they seem to be a monstrosity. If you go over them to fast, you can mess up your transmission/transaxle. I would like another alternative.

We have plenty of speed-ways here so, why the heck won't folks utilize them? A stretch of desert is not good enough? WTF peeps?!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I think most people have a God of their own so, one nation under God should not kill anyone. Alot of unnecessary propaganda.

Now back to the rants: I believe speed - bumps are there to protect kids, animals etc. That is all good, but when you need to get somewhere in a hurry, they seem to be a monstrosity. If you go over them to fast, you can mess up your transmission/transaxle. I would like another alternative.

We have plenty of speed-ways here so, why the heck won't folks utilize them? A stretch of desert is not good enough? WTF peeps?!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Oh, never noticed this before, but you get points in my book for living here in AZ. :D

Anyway, on the subject of driving: WHY do we have to have a freaking police car on the road just to get my family to buckle up? My mother's Godmother (who we spend a lot of time with) works at car insurance company, so when we're with her we always have to buckle up & it's become habit for me. But my mom & sisters won't buckle up until my mom screams that there's a police car on the road, and once it passes my sisters unbuckle again!!!

Oh, never noticed this before, but you get points in my book for living here in AZ. :D

Anyway, on the subject of driving: WHY do we have to have a freaking police car on the road just to get my family to buckle up? My mother's Godmother (who we spend a lot of time with) works at car insurance company, so when we're with her we always have to buckle up & it's become habit for me. But my mom & sisters won't buckle up until my mom screams that there's a police car on the road, and once it passes my sisters unbuckle again!!!

:lol: that's hilarious! I always buckle up! Police or no police!

Those safety belts are not a fashion statement and not just for show!

A safety belt rant: I hate it when people have a road incident and they say that thanks to the fact that their safety belt was unbuckled they managed to get out of the car! I mean come on! You've just had an accident and you are teaching people about safety?? Those people should be locked up! It's very irresponsible to say something like that!

Maybe there were people that had died because of some weird seat belt incident, but there were far more people that died because they didn't buckle up!!! <_<

Oh, oh, oh and the safety helmet while on a motor bike. For a lot of people (teenagers) in my country it's more important to look good on a Vespa than to be safe! Few years back I remember reading about a teenage girl that died :( because she lost control over small motor bike and hit her head on the concrete and instantly died! I blame the parents! No helmet, no ride!!!

Edited by andromeda

I think most people have a God of their own so, one nation under God should not kill anyone.

cmon man... there's no way you can be on this forum so long and be blind to the massive atheist population here :P Sure the pledge of allegiance doesn't kill anyone, nor is that big of a deal, but it's still annoying, anti-constitutional and pointless

Edited by unreality

I believe speed - bumps are there to protect kids, animals etc. That is all good, but when you need to get somewhere in a hurry, they seem to be a monstrosity. If you go over them to fast, you can mess up your transmission/transaxle. I would like another alternative.

Maybe I shouldn't be telling you this, but....

If they're the old-fashioned ones, usually the faster you drive over them, the less you (and your undercarriage) know about them (up to a point, anyway). They were designed to mimic the natural frequency of a typical car suspension if you happened to be driving at about 30 mph. This was to prevent emergency vehicles from being delayed.

If they're the newer "traffic calming" type, which are much longer, then you're out of luck. I have, on more than one occasion, damaged my car on those while traveling at or below the posted recommended speed (usually 10 mph). I can also tell you that they are not always very visible, and I have often found myself airborne for failing to notice one buried under 8 inches of snow. I fail to understand how it is considered safer to have cars traveling, at any speed, with no wheels on the ground. They are even more hazardous on a motorcycle -- just one of the reasons I no longer ride :(

I understand that they want people to slow down, especially in residential and school zones, but why can't they make it so that you can safely negotiate them at the posted speed limit?

For a lot of people (teenagers) in my country it's more important to look good on a Vespa than to be safe! Few years back I remember reading about a teenage girl that died :( because she lost control over small motor bike and hit her head on the concrete and instantly died!

I would guess that the states are split roughly half and half as to whether helmets are required by motorcyclists. I remember when I was in Arizona, helmets were not required, but sunglasses were. Mandatory coolness!

The only state I know of where you do not have to wear a seatbelt is New Hampshire.

I would guess that the states are split roughly half and half as to whether helmets are required by motorcyclists. I remember when I was in Arizona, helmets were not required, but sunglasses were. Mandatory coolness!

The only state I know of where you do not have to wear a seatbelt is New Hampshire.

B))

*Hands cup of tea* Wait till you get to High School >_<+ It's worse...excuse me...*clears throat*

I HATE how people can be so...so...so...selfish, shallow and stupid...>_<++ Most of the people in my Grade are failing their classes and couldn't CARE because it's more important that Mason is dating Claire for the third time...does it not matter to anyone that these classes can decide the rest of their LIVES? How well you do stays on your records for when you go to University? That's if they even get there... <_< I mean, who's gonna care who was the top of the social food chain when we're all out in the world making our mark, and getting jobs? I certainly won't...coming from a Private School, all this social stuff was so new and weird...in my old school, no one REALLY cared about who was dating who, or the latest all out war between cliques...High School is such a slap in the face o.O

<(^-^)>

You might need some more tea *puts on another pot* those same people follow you to college. whoever said there were no cliques in college LIED. :angry:

In elementary school I refused to start the "pledge" and was sent to the principal's office, my parents were called and told I was disrupting class. My dad told them if they had just gone on to someone who wanted to start it, there would have been no disruption.

I REFUSE to pledge ANYTHING to an inanament object!