BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bonanova

Question

This may not be a puzzle so much as a challenge.

Prepositions and grammar may be nonsense

"up with which some people will not put,"[*] but

others don't mind thinking about such things.

Create a paraphrasable sentence [one with

meaning] that has as many prepositions as

possible at the end. A word counts as a

preposition if the dictionary gives at least

one meaning for the word as such.

Have fun.

[*] See e.g. here.

8 answers to this question

Of all the ways to store the remote with the television when I'm approaching it, my favorites are, except(1) from behind(2), like(3), in back of(4), on top of(5) along(6) with(7) beneath(8), instead of(9) in front(10).

That's a well built preposition dangler, that! I bet you stuff a few more in there with a litte effort. The prepositions are easy, it's creating a sentence that supports them that I'm finding tricky.

I'll take a stab at it,

They played all over the wooded acres that lay behind the house. The children, for all intensive purposes to the parents were generally outside instead of inside up until pass over: around, about, beneath, below, above, before, between--except for near by. ((Pass over being like the religious event))

Edited by amanda

I'll take a stab at it,

They played all over the wooded acres that lay behind the house. The children, for all intensive purposes to the parents were generally outside instead of inside up until pass over: around, about, beneath, below, above, before, between--except for near by. ((Pass over being like the religious event))

Maybe 14...

Here are 35, or so prepositions stacked up at the end of the sentence with no intervening non-preposition words. And the sentence makes a perfect sense to me, English-second-language-speaker.

Some English words used as prepositions are: about, above, across, after, along, amidst, among, around, as, at, before, below, beside, between, beyond, but, by, despite, except, for, from, in, near, next, of, off, on, out, over, to, under, until, up, and with.

There could be many more, I’m sure.

Here are 35, or so prepositions stacked up at the end of the sentence with no intervening non-preposition words. And the sentence makes a perfect sense to me, English-second-language-speaker.

Some English words used as prepositions are: about, above, across, after, along, amidst, among, around, as, at, before, below, beside, between, beyond, but, by, despite, except, for, from, in, near, next, of, off, on, out, over, to, under, until, up, and with.

That of course is clear use of prepositions as examples of words, making them nouns: the name of a person, place or thing.

Ah.. but OP said that was OK. :blush:

Since this is a dead discussion, I'll not put this one into a spoiler. I read it a while ago and smiled:

The Guinness Book of (World) Records used to have a category for "most prepositions at end".

The incumbent record was a sentence put into the mouth of a boy who didn't

want to be read excerpts from a book about Australia as a bedtime story:

"What did you bring that book that I don't want to be read to from out of about 'Down Under' up for?"

Mark Brader (msb@sq.com -- all this is to the best of his recollection; he didn't save the letter,

and doesn't have access to the British editions) wrote to Guinness, asking:

"What did you say that the sentence with the most prepositions at the end was

'What did you bring that book that I don't want to be read to from out of about "Down Under" up for?' for?

The preceding sentence has one more."

Norris McWhirter replied, promising to include this improvement in the next

British edition; but actually it seems that Guinness, no doubt eventually

realizing that this could be done recursively, dropped the category.

hahaha i like your thinking