BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Bulbs

rookie1ja

Add a resistor in line on one of the switches. Turn the one w/ the resistor and any other single switch. Same principle as the turn on/off method, but it's what I came up with before reading the solution.

The dim light = Resistorized switch

On light = the On switch

Off light = the Off switch

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave the 1st switch off, Turn 2nd switch on and then off after a few mins, 3rd switch stays on. Bulb to 1st switch is off, Bulb to 2nd switch is off but is warm, Bulb to 3rd switch is the one that remains on.

Assuming the bulbs are those where we can control the intensity we can easily identify which switch is for buld. Just rotate the switch to dim, middle and high point and go to the room. The buld which is brightest belongs to high point switch.

First, you turn on two switches and leave them on for about a minute. Now turn one off and go in the other room. One light will still be on and two will be off. Of the two that are off, one will be hot and the other will not. There you go.

Assuming the bulbs are those where we can control the intensity we can easily identify which switch is for buld. Just rotate the switch to dim, middle and high point and go to the room. The buld which is brightest belongs to high point switch.

Light switch.

ok, are these switches in my kitchen? because I have at least one switch that I really think the previous owners put there as a cruel joke. maybe they wired to a light at their new place that illuminates the word "SUCKER" every time I flip it.

Or maybe it controls your neighbor three doors down's garage door.(In case you don't get it Nationwide commercial)

Turn on one switch and wait 5 minutes. Then turn that one off, turn a second switch on and go into the other room. The hot (but off) light is switch one, the light that's on is switch two, and the remaining is switch three.

I'd go into the room with the lamps once to pick them up and put them in the room with the switches. Then I'd plug them in and test the switches.

for this problem

i think i will switch on 2 and wait a little bit .. after that i will switch off the second one and keep the first one on ..

so when you go inside the room you ll see 1 light on . at that time you ll have to touch the 2 other bulbs .

the warm bulb will indicate you which one belong to the second switch ..

1 one bulb is turn on

2 one bulb is turn off cold

3 one bulb is turn off but warm .

it is easy now to figure out which one is which ...

I think the way is:

-1st turn on two switches,

-2nd turn off just one of the switches you turned on before,

-3rd you go to the other room and check the bulb that is on, then you know which switch is linked to it

-4th you touch the remaining bulbs. The one that is warm is linked to the switch you turned off before and the one that is cold is linked to the switch you never touched.

DUH

you turn on the first bulb then wait about an hour before you turn on the second. Then you go into the room and wait till one burns out (thats the first) then there will be one on (second) and the third you didn't turn on

some of thos ideas r good but not everyone can do that i got a way even a 4 year old can do without burning your hand.

y pick one swithc and turn it on and off, on and off and make sure u listen carfully cus when the blubs fuse blows u can hear it then u switch one on and u walk in and see. simply actuly now that i think of it mabe only a 4 year old would think of this cuz adult dont like to break things

solution: Since he has said bulbs

no ques should arise.

1st turn on one of the switch for 5 min.

next turn off that switch. turn the next switch on.

go to the other room seee which bulb is on now you can map the bulbs and switches. the bulb which was on will be hot you can get which switch it belongs to....

Put one switch on, than significant time after (week) you put a second one on.

Than you wait for the first bulb to burn up and you enter the room. The first one is broken, the second one is burning and the third one who was never switched on is not burning.

Hypothesis I you have ridiculous amount of time on your hand

Hypothesis II there is no abnormal production error with the bulbs.

First of all you turn on two of the switches. Then go into the lamp room. Obviously the unlit lamp belongs to the switch you left turned off. You then remove one of the lit bulbs and return to the switch room. Undo one of the two switches that you originally switched on and touch the pair of wires together. If you get a spark, it belongs to the bulb you left in the lamp, if not, it belongs to the lamp from which you removed the bulb. So there you have it. You now know which switch belongs to which lamp - provided you haven't fried yourself of course.

You turn one switch on, and leave it for a considerable amount of time. You then switch that switch off. You switch another swith on and leave it on, and then you leave the last one untouched.

You enter the room...

If the bulb is on then it's the switch you have left on.

If the bulb is off and hot then you know it's the switch you turned on and left on for a while then switched off.

If the bulb is off and cold then you know it's the switch you didn't touch.

A lot of you guys are cheating. I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to bring in electrical equipment and batteries etc to test this stuff. Also This solution does not require a hallway in which light can peer down.

Lightbulbs these days still generate a LOT of heat. so here is what you do:

1) turn one lightbulb on and leave it on for an extended period of time. perhaps an hour or two just to be on the safe side.

2) come back and turn the old light switch off and turn on another one of your choice

3) here is where you use your one chance to walk into the room. Promptly walk into the room and note the one light being turned on. note this bulb-switch combonation.

4)now, using your hand, inspect the two off bulbs. one should still be hot from being left on so long. figure out which one is still hot and note this combination.

5) the off bulb which is cool and the switch you touched are the last combination. Now you know and you only went into the room once!

-Jlsims

Remove one of the bulbs from the bulb holder.Now try to switch on two bulbs,two things may happen

1) two bulbs may glow

or

2) only one of them glows

by this you can know which switch belongs to which bulb.

Remove one of the bulbs from the bulb holder.Now try to switch on two bulbs,two things may happen

1) two bulbs may glow

or

2) only one of them glows

by this you can know which switch belongs to which bulb.

This means you went through the threshold at least twice and if you unscrewed the bulb that corresponds with the switch you did not touch, then you can't assign the other two lights to thier switches.

assumin these are not LED one can keep flikin one of the switches till the bulb birns out, enter the next room and see wich bulb broke. however, the entire entering the next rrom and checkiong has one fault. what if those lamps are the only light sorce? what do u us to check each bulb let alon find them without nocking them over and breaking them?

k, turn 2 lights on, wait a few minutes, shut one of them off, walk into the other room, the switch you left in the on position is connected to the light thats on, touch the bulbs the warm the one is the one you had on but then turned off, and the third cold one is the one you hadnt touched the switch for. Assuming that they are regular light bulbs, carbon filament whatever bulbs.

The easiest way would to be leave switch 1 off and turn on switch 2 and 3.

Wait a bit then turn off switch 2.

Enter the room.

The light bulb that is lit is switch 3 the light bulb that is off but warm is switch 2 and the light bulb that is off and cold is switch 1