BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Man in the Elevator

rookie1ja

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he is doing so because he might be short so he is not able to reach to switch of 10 th floor, so on normal days he might be going to 7th floor by lift and then three floors by stairs.

-If somebody is there with him in the lift he might tell him to press 10th button for him. so he can go by elevator till 10 th floor.

-In the case of raining he might be having umbrella which can be used to press switch of 10th floor.so he can go by elevator till 10 th floor.

Isn't it because he's too short to reach the '10' button, and so when he's on his own he can't reach it, and has to walk the rest, however when there is another person, he simply asks them to press it for him?

Heehee, I love smilies

I actually like these discussions where we, instead of discussing the solution, talk about something almost completely different.

And you would think a midget would have a pencil in his pocket to write with as well.

The reason why is because he was a midget and whenever there was someone in the elevator with him usually they would be going to the same place and all the midget had to do was ask the person to press the button for him.........on rainy days people want to get home and people would be in the elevator at that time also.....That's my answer to this question.....add me on myspace.com/harlemgurlsoflii

The short person answer is flawed in one practical way. Anybody who has ever been on an elevator knows that the floor buttons begin at the top with "1" and end at the bottom with the larger numbered floors. So, floor ten would be easier to reach than 1 - 9.

not to be rood at all to the person who wrote the previous comment,however, i also live in los angeles and i must say that is completly idiotic. if there were only three levels (8,9,10) why would there be 7 parking levels and for that matter the parking levels arent actually considered floors. they are written as P1,P2,P3 ect. so the comment makes no sense. he really should carry a pencil,but as its been pointed out not all little people need to carry pencils as they are quite capable of jumping. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

the answer is the man use elevator when he is going down..but when he is about to go back to his unit..he walk to the three more floor..because he is SMALL!..and he can't reach the button in the elevator..

• 2 weeks later...

This guy must be well short to touch the 10th block button in the elevator. When there is someone else he can seek their help. when it is raining, he takes his umbrella that can be used to press the button. I guess, the 7th floor button is still within his reach so that he doesn't need any extra help.

• 2 weeks later...

Any reasonably intelligent person can figure out a way to push a button that's out of reach. It makes more sense that the man was discreetly seeing someone on the seventh floor whose significant other had an outdoor job and worked the evening shift. With another person in the elevator he would go directly to his own apartment then come down later so as not to arouse suspicion from his neighbors. If it rained the significant other stayed home that day. Any other day he and his partner would liase and he would stay until the last possible minute then exit out the window and up the fire escape.

Living in LA, I have a different answer:

Parking levels are 1-7. He parks on the 7th level, but there is no elevator access. Makes sense as he would want to drive if it were raining out...

LOL!

If he was a MIDGET he most likely wouldn't drive...

Only one problem - In elevators when there are 6 or more floors, the buttons are arranged in two columns, in this manner:

9 10

7 8

5 6

3 4

1 2

So, if he could reach 7, he would also be able to reach 8. At least, this is how the buttons are arranged in every elevator I've seen, except the ones that go to 5 floors or less, when they're all in a straight line. Just a thought I had.

A classic indeed. I think that if he started to develop back problems, or broke his leg, that he might also return directly to his room each evening. :-)

I just scrolled down to see all the criticism. Sheesh. Of course he could find a way to reach the 10th floor button, regardless of where it was positioned. But the point is to find a logical explanation for the observed behavior, and when you apply Occam's razor, the cited solution is by far the most satisfying.

I have to agree with Garrecc. It would only take a person that short one time in the elevator to figure out that the next time he got in it he would need to carry something to push the button with on the days he was not carrying an umbrella. Furthermore the majority of people with a handicapp of that "stature" carry a telescoping baton for situations such as this one. I just don't see the reasoning in this riddle, maybe it's just me...it must be over my head.