BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Man in the Elevator

rookie1ja

A Man in an Elevator - Back to the Logic Puzzles

A man who lives on the tenth floor takes the elevator down to the first floor every morning and goes to work. In the evening, when he comes back; on a rainy day, or if there are other people in the elevator, he goes to his floor directly. Otherwise, he goes to the seventh floor and walks up three flights of stairs to his apartment.

Can you explain why?

(This is one of the more popular and most celebrated of all lateral thinking logic puzzles. It is a true classic. Although there are many possible solutions that fit the conditions, only the canonical answer is truly satisfying.)

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

The Man in the Elevator - solution

The man is a of short stature. He can't reach the upper elevator buttons, but he can ask people to push them for him. He can also push them with his umbrella.

A man lives on the tenth floor of a building. Every morning he takes the elevator down to the lobby and leaves the building. In the evening, he gets into the elevator, and, if there is someone else in the elevator - or if it was raining that day - he goes back to his floor directly. Otherwise, he goes to the seventh floor and walks up three flights of stairs to his apartment. Can you explain why?

(This is probably the best known and most celebrated of all lateral thinking logic puzzles. It is a true classic. Although there are many possible solutions which fit the initial conditions, only the canonical answer is truly satisfying.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I remember this one from Primary school when our teacher was trying to get a class of 7 year olds to think things out. That lesson has stuck in my memory!

I love these types of problems and just found the forum today and am having a browse round. Hope to get to know some of you soon.

PollyWotsit

• 2 weeks later...

I love the short person one, that makes sense.

My first thought about was;

He doesn't walk up the stairs because he probably is soaking wet, and who would want to walk up three flights of stairs in wet cloths. The reason why he doesn't walk when a person is in the elevator, I couldn't think of a sturdy answer, but my thought was maybe he didn't want to be rude.

I just thought he wanted to get attention or something. Maybe he wanted to meet new people. But that is very clever of you to know that he was a midget. hahaha

I am sorry but lateral thinking puzzles should be based on some practical reality.

There is not a single midget in existence that wouldn't start carrying a freakin' pencil with him so that he can press that freakin' elevator button. That is BIG BS. I apologize for being rude. I am mostly just playing around, although, I belive that the point is valid.

I am sorry but lateral thinking puzzles should be based on some practical reality.

There is not a single midget in existence that wouldn't start carrying a freakin' pencil with him so that he can press that freakin' elevator button. That is BIG BS. I apologize for being rude. I am mostly just playing around, although, I belive that the point is valid.

ok smarty pants, i think that is logic. some short people may not be smart enough to carry a pencil. that was funny though that you spazed out. :blink:

It is funny to watch a LOGIC PUZZLE turn into a discussion about whether or not a midget would start carring a pencil in his pocket to avoid walking up a few stairs to get home..LOL THAT'S NOT THE POINT. The puzzle was designed in a way that would JUSTIFY "WHY" only on a rainy day, or WHY when not alone, he would have to walk up the stairs. :lol:

Living in LA, I have a different answer:

Parking levels are 1-7. He parks on the 7th level, but there is no elevator access. Makes sense as he would want to drive if it were raining out...

LOL!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why in the world would a short person get an apartment on the 10th floor... Doesn't seem too smart and you expect him to carry a pencil so he can push buttons??? However that does sound most logical.

It says there is a canonical answer, what do short people have to do with the bible? It must be a story from the bible, but I only have read Ecclesiastes, are there any bible readers around?

It says there is a canonical answer, what do short people have to do with the bible? It must be a story from the bible, but I only have read Ecclesiastes, are there any bible readers around?

Canonical also means "authorized, recognized, accepted," which is how it's being used in the description.

• 2 weeks later...

The Poster was correct, there are more than one Answer, However, I'm Only Going to say 2 Words: Occam's Razor

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

John

P.S. Don't reply to tell me it's actually Ockham's Razor. Some people spell it like that. Why? Who Knows

You know why this is BS? Because in elevators the lowest numbers are at the top and then they go down from there. So, in reality, floor 10 would be lower on the panel then floor 7 so the midget would only be able to go to the highest floors.

To correct the puzzle, you could have the midget get off on a higher floor and walk down.

You know why this is BS? Because in elevators the lowest numbers are at the top and then they go down from there. So, in reality, floor 10 would be lower on the panel then floor 7 so the midget would only be able to go to the highest floors.

To correct the puzzle, you could have the midget get off on a higher floor and walk down.

Not every elevator is the same. Some have the lowest number at the bottom while others have lowest number at the top. This elevator obviously had the low numbers on the bottom.

The man is a dwarf. The maximum height to which he can reach is the 7th floor button. But if there is another person in the elevator he requests him to press the 10th flr button for him. If its a rainy day, he uses his umbrella to do the same... I think thats one of the solutions..

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't know what the laws are like abroad, or if they're even the same all over the US, but a person who is handicapped (and a dwarf/midget would certainly classify as such) wouldn't be stupid enough to live in a building that doesn't conform to the laws regarding the special needs of the handicapped. For example, all elevators have the buttons labeled with braille for the blind, and by law they have to have ramps to accommodate those in wheelchairs. One of the "little people" would most certainly have arranged with the building manager/owner to have either a stool permanently placed in the elevator or have the panel with the buttons lowered and placed within reach. I grew up with a friend who was confined to a wheelchair back in the 70s and she ran into this kind of problem everywhere. Everything has to be handicapped accessible nowadays. Although I have always wondered why they have braille drive-thru tellers. haha Just a joke.

Good logic puzzle, nonetheless.

yeah heard a loadsa times...jus cos tat guy is a PIGMY!!while he goes down he has jus tp press t zero button in t elevator tat is at t bottom of all t buttons..but while cumin bk if he s all alone he cant press tat tenth floor button..its at a greater height than his..on rainy day he has an umbrella to do tat n wen other ppl r wit 'm in t elevator they help tis li'l fella....

Well, I don't know what the laws are like abroad, or if they're even the same all over the US, but a person who is handicapped (and a dwarf/midget would certainly classify as such) wouldn't be stupid enough to live in a building that doesn't conform to the laws regarding the special needs of the handicapped. For example, all elevators have the buttons labeled with braille for the blind, and by law they have to have ramps to accommodate those in wheelchairs. One of the "little people" would most certainly have arranged with the building manager/owner to have either a stool permanently placed in the elevator or have the panel with the buttons lowered and placed within reach. I grew up with a friend who was confined to a wheelchair back in the 70s and she ran into this kind of problem everywhere. Everything has to be handicapped accessible nowadays. Although I have always wondered why they have braille drive-thru tellers. haha Just a joke.

Good logic puzzle, nonetheless.

I see what you are trying to say but I don't think that anyone can make a manager of a building install a permanent stool at the base of the buttons because that could be a hazard for the non-handicapped peops. In the case of the short persons I think that they are screwed as far as getting help in the elevators. I do sincerely believe that they should start carrying pens or pencils or dild*** with them for this specific purpose. HeHe

Any reason why he can't use an umbrella on days it does not rain?? I know it is not fashionable... but he is a midget, he wont be attracting too many movie stars anyway..

He is a midget. When he has an umbrella he can press the button for his floor or if someone is on the elevator they can press it for him. Other wise he can only reach the button for the floor 3 below his.