BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Man in the Elevator

rookie1ja

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't agree with your answer. Because how can he predict whether it will rain in the evening or not(if it didn't rain in the morning) So there can be days even though it rains he couldn't take his umbrella.

And if he's that short he should know to carry anything to press the buttons everday since he knows the circumstances :)

I think that this is a fairly simple problem.... The man is not rude (like most people are), and if someone else is in the elevator, he doesn't want to make them walk up stairs too, and if it is raining out, then he doesn't want to walk up three flights of stairs because when you walk up that many stairs, you get very, very cold...

See? simple

• 3 weeks later...

hes an insane midget who either likes the exercise or isn't smart enough to carry a device to press the higher buttons. My first thought was a secret lover on the 7th floor. and he didn't want to be seen taking the elevator or something.. and if someone else was in the elevator he didn't want to stop at the 7th or w/e.. i dunno this seems a little strange but i kinda like the answer.. it's just not that practical.. I'm gonna have to look up this lateral and canonical stuff..

• 2 weeks later...

"He can also push them with his umbrella."

Then why can't he go to his floor directly when no one else is in the elevator.

Bit silly having that as part of the answer.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm! Sounds very difficult. I never knew that elevators are so complicated things to ride. You have to be very careful. It all depends on, the way you are moving - up or down, your height, height of all the other people inside the elevator, the ordering of the allocation of the button numbers, availability of a pencil to any one of the persons inside the elevator (by the way, for some reason I am having this uncanny feeling that 'availability of a pen' can also influence the situation), the length of that pencil, the weather condition, whether you use an umbrella or a raincoat, your expectation about the weather of the day, etc. etc. etc....all these collectively determine the displacement of the elevator...and all these years I was thinking human beings are intelligent.

What if the sceond person in the elevator is also a midget? None of them could reach the 10th floor button.

then surely he can stand on his shoulders :D

Erm... people

I think you have mislooked something rather more important.

The nature of the question is questionable itself.

How so?

#1 - Can he predict weather? What if it was sunny in the morning but rainy in the evening? Then he wouldn't have his umbrella.

#2 - Why would he wanna do that? Don't you think its illogical? See.. if you knew you were short and could reach the buttons with an umbrella, you would bring it with you everyday, regardless of the weather...

*I'm not sure if anyone thought about this yet, but this is my answer. And the question is questionable.

Solution:

The man is a dwarf. He can reach only till the 7th floor button of the elevator. If he is accompanied by some other person, he asks them to press the 10th floor button. Otherwise, when it's raining, he carries an umbrella. He presses the 10th floor button with that

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

did the said gentleman also suffer with dyslexia? if so... i wish to take no further part in this debate.

anothers misfortune is no place for riddles or jokes!

its not big and its not clever.

did the said gentleman also suffer with dyslexia? if so... i wish to take no further part in this debate.

anothers misfortune is no place for riddles or jokes!

its not big and its not clever.

I take offense at you implying that being of short stature is a misfortune. *says the short chic* :rolleyes:

Come on people, it's a puzzle! And a clever one at that. :lol:

Erm... people

I think you have mislooked something rather more important.

The nature of the question is questionable itself.

How so?

#1 - Can he predict weather? What if it was sunny in the morning but rainy in the evening? Then he wouldn't have his umbrella.

#2 - Why would he wanna do that? Don't you think its illogical? See.. if you knew you were short and could reach the buttons with an umbrella, you would bring it with you everyday, regardless of the weather...

*I'm not sure if anyone thought about this yet, but this is my answer. And the question is questionable.

....why do you have to complicate things?