BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bonanova

Question

In my closet stand two brooms; one is 4 feet long, the other 6 feet long.

One leans against the left wall, the other leans against the right wall, forming a kind of an X pattern.

The base of each broom is directly below the top of the other broom, so it's an X with unequal lengths.

Someone asked how wide my closet is.

I told him that my brooms cross exactly two feet above the floor.

That's not what I want to know, he replied.

I told him to drop by BrainDen and watch this thread.

13 answers to this question

I know the answer, because I'm sitting at a computer with solid modeling software so I sketched it in and measured. Still working on the proof.

Spoiler for are you sure you want to see it?:

2.46 feet

Edited by lazboy

brooms_puzzle.bmp

This is the screenshot of the sketch I drew, with the answer shown. If you construct two triangles with the brooms as hypotenuses, you have cos(A)=x/6 and cos(B)=x/4

You know the height of the triangle formed by the two brooms and the floor of the closet to be 2 feet, so therefore the area of that triangle is 1/2(x)(2) or just x. The area can also be calculated by the formula Area=x2sin(B)sin(A)/2sin(C ), where C is the angle opposite x. Using (180-A-B) for C and x for Area and doing a bunch more substitution, we can solve for A, which is 65.77° (there are actually 3 solutions, but two of them don't make sense (90° and -51.36°)), and therefore x is 6cos(65.77°)=2.46 feet, or 2 feet, 5.55 inches

edit: (C ) was ©

Edited by lazboy

I had attempted to prove this one using similar triangles and the resulting equations, since Lazboy had beaten everyone with the answer, but all I ended up with were a couple of equations with too many variables. Bonanova, can this problem be solved that way? If it can I'll go back to the drawing board. If I knew the heights of the brooms where they touched the wall, I could make it work, but only knowing the brooms' lengths I couldn't get there.

Edited by Prof. Templeton

I had attempted to prove this one using similar triangles and the resulting equations, since Lazboy had beaten everyone with the answer, but all I ended up with were a couple of equations with too many variables. Bonanova, can this problem be solved that way? If it can I'll go back to the drawing board. If I knew the heights of the brooms where they touched the wall, I could make it work, but only knowing the brooms' lengths I couldn't get there.
Try to relate the height of the ends of the two brooms and the height of their crossing point.

Go from there.

Draw x-y coordinate axes with origin at the base of the shorter broom.

You can assume it leans from left to right to keep all the x values positive.

Using a different approach, you can obtain a quartic equation.

Any progress? ;)

Let x be the height from the floor to where the shorter broom contacts the wall

Let y be the height from the floor to where the longer broom contacts the wall

Let w be the width of the closet

Let h be the distance of the perpendicular line from the floor to the intersection of the two brooms

Where line h meets the floor it will split w into two parts lets call them a and b

post-9402-1227727560.jpg

We know h=2

The length of the short broom is 4

The length of the long broom is 6

Because of similar triangle we can establish some ratios

x/w = 2/b

y/w = 2/a

b = 2w/x

a = 2w/y

and

a+b = w

so

2x + 2y = x + y (left a step out)

and then

y = 2x/x-2

On to Pathagarus

w = sqrt(36-y2) and

w = sqrt(16-x2)

36-y2 = 16-x2

y2-x2=20

We know that y = 2x/x-2 from above plug that in

(2x/x-2)2-x2=20

Now we need to form the quadratic. After some trial and error (calculus was many years ago) I ended up with

x4-4x3+20x2-80x+80=0

A little too difficult for me the solve, but plugging in the known value of x (3.154) I know it does work.

This is the classic crossed ladder problem, popularized by Martin Gardner.

This Wikipedia article outlines a cute approach to taming the unwieldy quartic.

Briefly, if A and B are the heights on the walls of the tops of the ladders

and a and b are the ladder lengths and h is the height of the crossing:

Establish that

[1] A B = h (A + B) h is the harmonic mean of A and B [1/h = 1/A + 1/B]

[2] (a2 - b2) = (A + B) (A - B) using Pythagorean thm.

[3] (a2 - b2)2 = (A+B)3(A+B-4h) square [2] and combine with [1]

let x = (A + B)/ sqrt(a2 - b2) and c = 4 h / sqrt(a2 - b2)

then [3] becomes

x3(x - c) - 1 = 0

Solve for x; calculate alley width. easy once you know A or B.

A similar problem involves a ladder that contacts the ground, a wall and a box placed under the ladder.

A variation of the box problem was posted here and solved here in this forum nine months ago.