to figure this one out.

That turned a few heads, but only Ian and Jamie

bothered to sit down and listen. There's this puzzle

contest I read about, and it has one of those sequences

of numbers with one number missing. It's a shame to

waste it on buzzards like yerselves, but I'll let you have

a go at it, anyway. Here it is:

35, 46, 60, z, 120, 180, 280, 450, 744, 1260

Edit: '46' is incorrect. Here's the correct sequence.

Thanks to Grey Cells for pointing it out.

35, 45, 60, z, 120, 180, 280, 450, 744, 1260

As Ian and Jamie stared at the numbers Alex had

scrawled out in his dirty red ink, Alex continued,

Kind of interesting that one of them doesn't end in 5 or 0

isn't it? They both nodded, but Jamie was about

to venture a guess anyway.

Well, there's an even bigger monkey wrench in the

works, Alex concluded, and it's this: z is not an integer.

At that, Ian and Jamie rolled their eyes and decided to

go play darts.

That leaves you to solve the puzzle.

Enjoy! ;)

Edited by bonanova
Correct one of the terms

21 answers to this question

Okay, so I figured the only way to get a number ending in a decimal using the numbers in the sequence would be by dividing. So I divided each number by its predecessor, and got a bit of a pattern.

46/35 = 1.31428571

60/46 = 1.30434783

z/60 = ___________

120/z = __________

180/120 = 1.5

280/180 = 1.5555...

450/280 = 1.60714286

744/450 = 1.65333...

1260/744 = 1.69354839

So, not completely a pattern, but it does increase a bit each time. Since z is the 4th number, I thought if we average the number you get from dividing on either side of z, you'd know what to divide 120 by to get z. So...

(1.31428571 + 1.69354839)/2 = 1.46071428

z = 82.1516728?

*edit* Typo

Edited by Izzy

Okay, so I figured the only way to get a number ending in a decimal using the numbers in the sequence would be by dividing. So I divided each number by its predecessor, and got a bit of a pattern.

46/35 = 1.31428571

60/46 = 1.30434783

z/60 = ___________

120/z = __________

180/120 = 1.5

280/180 = 1.5555...

450/280 = 1.60714286

744/450 = 1.65333...

1260/744 = 1.69354839

So, not completely a pattern, but it does increase a bit each time. Since z is the 4th number, I thought if we average the number you get from dividing on either side of z, you'd know what to divide 120 by to get z. So...

(1.31428571 + 1.69354839)/2 = 1.46071428

z = 82.1516728?

*edit* Typo

Izzy, you're close, of course. [note that 46 was written incorrectly: it's actually 45].

And I'll stipulate that the answer lies on some kind of smooth curve.

So let me suggest the solution should either be exact to 5 decimal places [e.g. XX.YYYYY]

where not all the X's or Y's are [necessarily] equal, and of course some of the trailing Y's could be zero,

or a formula, say, that generates the numbers.

So if I plugged in 45 instead, would I be right? Or is this exponentials and other way over my head maths stuff like my friend said? :P

That's a fair question.

What I'll say is that I asked for something more exact than anything you could get from curve fitting so you wouldn't try that way to solve it

Next I'll say there is an expression, not an overly difficult one, that generates all the numbers in the OP, including the unknown one.

The expression is interesting because it generates this string of integer values with an irrational number right in the middle.

If you're wondering, even knowing the missing number - and you're in the ball park - may not help you find the expression.

That's general information. Now here are two clues:

consecutive integer values: it's f(n) where the sequence in the OP comes from consecutive integer values of n.

a particular value of n that might generate a distinctive result.

That's a fair question.

What I'll say is that I asked for something more exact than anything you could get from curve fitting so you wouldn't try that way to solve it

Next I'll say there is an expression, not an overly difficult one, that generates all the numbers in the OP, including the unknown one.

The expression is interesting because it generates this string of integer values with an irrational number right in the middle.

If you're wondering, even knowing the missing number - and you're in the ball park - may not help you find the expression.

That's general information. Now here are two clues:

consecutive integer values: it's f(n) where the sequence in the OP comes from consecutive integer values of n.

a particular value of n that might generate a distinctive result.

I plotted the sequence, and it just has to have a^n in it. The second hint indicates that z=f(0). I don't know what to do to a^n to give an irrational result at f(0), and integer values elsewhere though...

I plotted the sequence, and it just has to have a^n in it. The second hint indicates that z=f(0). I don't know what to do to a^n to give an irrational result at f(0), and integer values elsewhere though...

(21/2)2^n gives an irrational result at n = 0 and integer results elsewhere, but that is a double exponential function.

... that the exp​ression has a limit operation.

That is, f(n) = lim{x->n}f(x) for consecutive integer values of n, where f(x) is continuous except at the special value.

So for f = {35, 45, 60, 120, 180, 280, 744, 1260} the limit isn't needed; at the special value, f isn't continuous; but its limit exists.

So I asked my maths teacher. She didn't know (..which I kind of expected). My science teacher is e-mailing one of her friends about it though! I _will not_ let this sequence go unsolved!

*sulks at not being able to solve it due to a lack of math skills*

Like, I know how to do f(x), if {x->n} is similar to {p->q}, then I know that as well, but what's the limit bit?

Edited by Izzy

... that the exp​ression has a limit operation.

That is, f(n) = lim{x->n}f(x) for consecutive integer values of n, where f(x) is continuous except at the special value.

So for f = {35, 45, 60, 120, 180, 280, 744, 1260} the limit isn't needed; at the special value, f isn't continuous; but its limit exists.

Sometimes you make a wild guess and get lucky.

120 ln(2)