BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Ok me and my friend made a bet (a full 25 cents) that is "if a drink was poisoned and you let the ice in it melt the poison would be more dilute and safe to drink"

I say you die as long as the water is poisoned whether the ice melts or not

my friend if there is ice that melts you are safer

I tested this with two two cups of water, 3/4ths tsp ice tea mix and 1/4th cup water so my conclusion it tastes more dilute but i get the same amount of our "poison" so can anyone tell my who was right?

6 answers to this question

It doesn't matter, so long as you drink the whole thing. If the ice melts there is a higher liquid to poison ratio. There is no correct answer to your problem because we don;t know what kind of poison, how much there is, or if they've drank/eaten anything else.

Ok me and my friend made a bet (a full 25 cents) that is "if a drink was poisoned and you let the ice in it melt the poison would be more dilute and safe to drink"

I say you die as long as the water is poisoned whether the ice melts or not

my friend if there is ice that melts you are safer

I tested this with two two cups of water, 3/4ths tsp ice tea mix and 1/4th cup water so my conclusion it tastes more dilute but i get the same amount of our "poison" so can anyone tell my who was right?

did you die when you tested it?

... it appears some people need a better explanation. You die if you drink all the poison all of the drink is drunk and it can not be negated and NO ANTIDOTE

better if not complain more I dare you...and no cuz it was ice tea

Edited by tmanthebest

Maybe i'm not explaining my self correctly? The reason why it would matter if the person had eaten or drank anything else is because that would also help the diluting. It's the same thing, but in their stomach instead of the glass. If their are no other factors, then yes. It will help to dilute. I can't tell you if the person will die or not because I don't know how much of the poison there is. If there's too little, or the poison is too weak that's a VERY important factor.

ok more explanation no they don't eat or drink anything and so there are no more questions this is not a drinking thing just a test is there the same strength, deadliness, if there is more water. If you drink a cup of water with a drop of poison THAT WILL KILL YOU WITH JUST THE DROP you die, now a gallon of water with a drop, THE SAME DROP, if you drink all the water(i know you can't drink all of a gallon but lets say you can) do you die

The issue with the dilution does depend on the poison.

If the poison is something that can be metabolized in very small doses, then diluting it will help b/c there is only so much liquid+poison that can be absorbed at one time. For instance, If you were to drink an entire gallon of water, you would not instantly absorb the entire amount of water within a minute.

Same with the poison. Imagine you were administering a poison that requires someone to absorb 20ml within 30mins on an empty stomach to effectively kill them (because it has the sustaining power of nicotine, so it is metabolized very quickly). Now imagine that poison is delivered in a tall glass filled to the rim with ice and then the rest is water. That amount of water may be absorbed within the alloted time limit, and the person would die. However, if the ice were to melt, and effectively triple the amount of liquid being consumed, then there is a less likely chance that the entire contents would be absorbed within the required time frame, before the metabolism would begin to eliminate the amount of poison already absorbed in the body.

That's about the best that I can put it. It depends on the strength, dosage, required dosage, rate of absorbency, and metabolism.

I don't really know how long nicotine lasts or anything, I pulled the numbers out of the air just for the explanation. I hope it's clear.