BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

24 answers to this question

In 1177 a woman was 42 years old, in 1190 the same woman was 29.

How can this be possible? :rolleyes:

Was it that..

it didn't say that she was 29 YEARS OLD in 1190, maybe she was the 29th queen or something.

Welcome to the den, Alex. :D

1177 and 1190 being different rooms in a hospital or a hotel. ;)

If so, a braindenizen named Lausus constructed a similar puzzle. :)

Thankyou for the welcome, You are wrong though :o

Telehar, has pretty much got it, it was B.C so the years went backwards, instead of forward:)

Edited by alex4astonvilla

I think it would have been better if she was 1 year older or younger. Say her birthday was in May, she was 29 in Jan 1190 and then she would be 43 in Dec 1177. Would have made it more difficult

Welcome to the den, Alex. :D

1177 and 1190 being different rooms in a hospital or a hotel. ;)

If so, a braindenizen named Lausus constructed a similar puzzle. :)

Thankyou for the welcome, You are wrong though :o

Telehar, has pretty much got it, it was B.C so the years went backwards, instead of forward:)

You are welcome. :) When one thinks that one knows an answer, the obvious answer is fogged by the known one. That was the case with me. ;)

A good one, Alex. :)

BC! BC! BC!
Welcome in BoredBrain - can you plug that bore ? :P - pls use a spoiler ofr answers (hide answer)

another plausible awnser

It said that she WAS 29... not that she IS

eiter way she is dead by now

I don't understand.. Even if you were born BC and then went to AD, you don't change your age. lIf someone was 90 in 1 BC and then lived to see 1 AD, that woulden't make her 1 year old would it?

I don't understand.. Even if you were born BC and then went to AD, you don't change your age. lIf someone was 90 in 1 BC and then lived to see 1 AD, that woulden't make her 1 year old would it?

First there is no more BC (Before Christ) to be sensitive to all the other religions out there the period before Christ is now called BCE (Before Common Era) [which to me is BS]. Also What used to be AD is now CE (Common Era).

The years in BC count backwards as sort of a count down till the birth of Christ. A person born in 50 BC would be 1 in 49 BC, 2 in 48 BC, 3 in 47 BC....... and 48 in 2 BC, 49 in 1 BC, 50 in 1 AD, 51 in 2 AD, 52 in 3 AD,..........

Next question is there a year 0?

Edited by PLMerry

First there is no more BC (Before Christ) to be sensitive to all the other religions out there the period before Christ is now called BCE (Before Common Era) [which to me is BS]. Also What used to be AD is now CE (Common Era).

The years in BC count backwards as sort of a count down till the birth of Christ. A person born in 50 BC would be 1 in 49 BC, 2 in 48 BC, 3 in 47 BC....... and 48 in 2 BC, 49 in 1 BC, 50 in 1 AD, 51 in 2 AD, 52 in 3 AD,..........

Next question is there a year 0?

Hi, This is my first post here and it goes:

I really agree with REDRUM. I mean, even if it is BCE and the years go backwards, it doesnt mean that the age goes backwards too right?

E.G:

Year 10 BCE, im 20 years old.

Does it mean that in the Year 5 BCE, im only 15 years old?

No it doesnt, right? the counting of the year wouldnt affect my age as my age is computed through tha passing of years and the counting of the years through an arbitrary point... I still think that the hotel explanation would be best for this puzzle or that an alteration to the original puzzle be made to correct this confusion about BCE thingy... <_<

In 1177 a woman was 42 years old, in 1190 the same woman was 29.

1190 BC age = 29

1189 BC age = 30

1188 BC age = 31

1187 BC age = 32

1186 33

1185 34

1184 35

1183 36

1182 37

1181 38

1180 39

1189 40

1178 41

1177 42

But I agree that this woman is long been dead.