BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

TwoaDay

Question

25 answers to this question

I'd say that neg and pos inf. are equally distant from zero. B/C even though all numbers are infinitely distant from infinite, theoretically if you compared 8 to infinite, and 22 to infinite, then 8 would be infinite+14, when compared to 22. Ok, and.... I'm lost :lol: jk

Edited by Brandonb

Uhhh...no, I don't believe that zero is. For one thing, infinity is not a number, so you can't have a number closer or farther too it. Also, when thought about like a number, infinity added to anything(even infinity) is still infinity.

Well there you go, just a matter of perspective. Here's another: What about the idea that 0 has nothing to do with infinity since infinity is supposed to represent "everything in existence" and 0 represents "nothing in existence". That's kinda combining the idea of referencing numbers with everything else.

So in essence, 0 is the opposite of infinity, even though numerically it's somehow included :wacko:

As for the rest of the numbers, they are not closer or further away from eachother unless you give a reference point to begin with as Brandonb did with 8 and 22.

Come on guys.

A number cannot be compared with a concept.

*Playing Devil's Advocate

Unless a concept is assigned something to represent it. Any form of symbol. Infinite has been assigned a symbol with no numerical value, but with a numerical concept for which is was assigned. When infinite is considered within numerical parameters (not just "everything"), infinite is represented in mathematical equations by a symbol. Certainly the concept is infinite, but the symbol is concrete, and may be used to express variations on infinite (though in reality there are none). So uh, yeah... I give up, nevermind. :wacko:

I guess my original reasoning was nothing more than an expression of the difference of two numbers in relation to eachother alone, then adding the concept of infinite. Not actually comparing those numbers to infinite. Ok, I'm done :P

Well, here's one for you. Is infinity - infinity equal to negative infinity, positive infinity, 0, any number you choose, undefined?

I don't know who you are referring to, but I would say that its not negative infinity, positive infinity, 0, or undefined.

Its actually Indeterminate.

I would also like to show you this.

I would also like to show you this.

I would rather post this here than dredge up an old thread:

In that equation, the limit of S as n -> infinity is in fact undefined. Indeterminate is a special case where you have a variable in an equation that can take an infinite number of values. (i.e. x = x) In your thread there you have a few possible solutions, but none of them are really correct. This makes it undefined.

Looked at differently, Indeterminate yields an infinite number of solutions, undefined yields none. As applied to the problem I stated previously, Indeterminate is equivalent to "any number you choose".

In your thread there you have a few possible solutions, but none of them are really correct. This makes it undefined.

The answer is not undefined since it lies between 0 and 1. And anything in between zero and one is defined.

Its just indeterminate since you can't be sure if it is zero, one, half, or anything else.

The answer is not undefined since it lies between 0 and 1. And anything in between zero and one is defined.

Its just indeterminate since you can't be sure if it is zero, one, half, or anything else.

If that is true, prove to me that S = 1/3. I don't think it's possible.

If that is true, prove to me that S = 1/3. I don't think it's possible.

I said that the answer lies between 0 and 1.

AND NOT THAT

Everything that lies between 0 and 1 is the answer.

I said that the answer lies between 0 and 1.

AND NOT THAT

Everything that lies between 0 and 1 is the answer.

I disagree. If "everything between 0 and 1" is the answer, then the equation should evaluate to true for and number between 0 and 1. I gave you one such number and it can't be proven true. Therefore the answer is not "everything between 0 and 1" it is "0, 1/2 or 1" and since you have no way of knowing which one it is, the answer is undefined.

I disagree. If "everything between 0 and 1" is the answer, then the equation should evaluate to true for and number between 0 and 1. I gave you one such number and it can't be proven true. Therefore the answer is not "everything between 0 and 1" it is "0, 1/2 or 1" and since you have no way of knowing which one it is, the answer is undefined.

Please read my post again. I didn't say that everything between 0 and 1 is the answer.

You are probably confused between NOT and NOTE.

And by the way, zero, one and half are well defined in mathematics.

Not if any of them could be an answer, but not all of them at once. For example, the limit sin(1/x) as x -> 0 is undefined, even though it could be any number from -1 to 1.

i think if you think about infinity too much, there may be an off-chance of your head exploding

and i think in theory, 0 is in the middle

but in practice, it doesn't matter

Edited by lemonymelon