BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Here is a sampling of some words I found inscribed in ancient runes on a stone tablet. I was hoping you guys could help me figure out what is going on. I am deep in the progress of deciphering them myself, so as I gain a greater understanding I may be able to help more.

1. The omen of a cross over a cross yields infinite strife, yet appears to approach a great unity.
  2. The strange yet ideal prudes in the first half-century: from these are taken six of the unluckiest to fall to oblivion, leaving a shard of the great evil.
  3. For what is assigned a beneficent cubical spot-marker, a malevolent multiple of the files of Scully and Mulder and the ambiguous faithful shall become a twisted snake.

What I know so far is that they are all related (they came from the same tablet) but they don't necessarily follow one another or discuss the same ideas. Hopefully with a little hard thinking we can come up with something more concrete out of this little Rosetta stone of mine.

I'm assuming that this is a riddle that you already have the answer to, so I'm giving it a shot.

Is the first one V for Vendetta?

The bad guys (Norsefire party) use the Cross of Lorraine (a cross over a cross) as their symbol. The pretended to bring unity, but only caused strife.

I also know that Scully and Mulders, in the third riddle, are from the X-Files.

This leads me to believe that the thing that connects the 3 riddles is TV/movies.

Am I even close?

Here is a sampling of some words I found inscribed in ancient runes on a stone tablet. I was hoping you guys could help me figure out what is going on. I am deep in the progress of deciphering them myself, so as I gain a greater understanding I may be able to help more.

1. The omen of a cross over a cross yields infinite strife, yet appears to approach a great unity.
  2. The strange yet ideal prudes in the first half-century: from these are taken six of the unluckiest to fall to oblivion, leaving a shard of the great evil.
  3. For what is assigned a beneficent cubical spot-marker, a malevolent multiple of the files of Scully and Mulder and the ambiguous faithful shall become a twisted snake.

What I know so far is that they are all related (they came from the same tablet) but they don't necessarily follow one another or discuss the same ideas. Hopefully with a little hard thinking we can come up with something more concrete out of this little Rosetta stone of mine.

tv shows?

Are we talking maths equations?

cross over cross = x/x = 1 (unity)

50- 6x? = ? (50 = half century.... don't know how the unluckiest = x, or what the shard of creat evil is (although the evil could be 666)

x^3 + a?x = 8? (x marks the spot... x files... don't know what the malevolent multiplier is... and not sure about the twisted snake

50- 6x? = ? (50 = half century.... don't know how the unluckiest = x, or what the shard of creat evil is (although the evil could be 666)

x^3 + a?x = 8? (x marks the spot... x files... don't know what the malevolent multiplier is... and not sure about the twisted snake

armcie is closer, but still has some kinks to work out.

(x marks the spot... x files... don't know what the malevolent multiplier is... and not sure about the twisted snake

I would consider "beneficial" to be positive and "malevolent" to be negative, so the equation would look more like:

x^3 - ax = 8

and then there's the abiguous faithful, so I think there's another term. This gives an equation more like

x^3 - ax + b = 8

Edited by Cherry Lane

Is it a limit that appears to approach something simple, yet is actually very difficult (perhaps approaching infinity)? And it contains x/x.

My math skills are a bit poor, but maybe someone else can figure out what limit #1 is referring to.

Cherry Lane has some very good ideas about problem 3, but he is slightly off in his conclusion.

Meanwhile, babbagadoosh has a solid grasp on the essentials of problem 1, keep it up.

Remember, the ancient scribes took great care in writing these down, they would not toss out unneeded words lightly.

Yoruichi is correct, but hasn't covered all of what problem 1 is saying (there is still a significant piece missing). Maybe this was deliberate, and she has the answer but is letting you guys find it. In any case the following revamp may help you out a little.

1. The omen of a cross over a cross yields infinite strife, yet as the crosses approach the empty void, it appears to approach a great unity.

Yoruichi is correct, but hasn't covered all of what problem 1 is saying (there is still a significant piece missing). Maybe this was deliberate, and she has the answer but is letting you guys find it. In any case the following revamp may help you out a little.

1. The omen of a cross over a cross yields infinite strife, yet as the crosses approach the empty void, it appears to approach a great unity.

limit(x/x) = 1 as x->0

@armcie:

Soooooooo close. Look closer at the "omen" - the limit is not mentioned until later, and as x -> 0, x/x is 1, it doesn't just approach one.

Edited for spoiler.

Edited by itsclueless

Yeah, actually...

since I noticed you used "omen" the same way I did...hence the hints about how you weaved the story better than I did ;P

I'm not going to post answers...but I may post hints to help ppl ;P

lim x-->inf (x/(x+1)) = 1

So close, again, remember "the omen". What else could an omen be?

Anyone have any ideas about numbers 2 and 3? They are feeling a bit lonely, no one is looking at them.

Limits ... x=infinity to x=0

I'm not sure of how it fits the omen reference but this i think fulfils the limit requirements...

(x/x)/0

1. The omen (?) of a cross (x) over (/) a cross(x) yields (?) infinite (infinity?) strife, yet as the crosses approach the empty void (lim x -> 0), it appears to approach a great unity (1).

The strange yet ideal prudes (???) in the first half-century (50): from these are taken six of the unluckiest (?) to fall to oblivion, leaving a shard of the great evil (666?).

For what (?) is assigned(?) a beneficent (+) cubical spot-marker (x^3), a malevolent (-) multiple of the files of Scully and Mulder (a*x) and the ambiguous faithful (b) shall become (=) a twisted snake (8?).

1. The omen (?) of a cross (x) over (/) a cross(x) yields (?) infinite (infinity?) strife, yet as the crosses approach the empty void (lim x -> 0), it appears to approach a great unity (1).

The strange yet ideal prudes (???) in the first half-century (50): from these are taken six of the unluckiest (?) to fall to oblivion, leaving a shard of the great evil (666?).

For what (?) is assigned(?) a beneficent (+) cubical spot-marker (x^3), a malevolent (-) multiple of the files of Scully and Mulder (a*x) and the ambiguous faithful (b) shall become (=) a twisted snake (8?).

Ah. Now I can see the sign you are giving us, but can't see how it yields infinite strife yet....

Edited by foolonthehill

The ideal prudes under 50 must be 6 and 28: the first two perfect numbers. But are they sufficiently prudish?

And, to be unlucky, we must then have (- 6 x 13)....

The ideal prudes under 50 must be 6 and 28: the first two perfect numbers. But are they sufficiently prudish?

And, to be unlucky, we must then have (- 6 x 13)....

You are very clever, and have a lot of correct interpretations.

You are correct in that ideal = perfect. But they must also be "strange" and as you noted, they should be "prudes".

http://www.synonym.com/