BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

The princess ran away on an ox.

(Princess Di ran away from the paparazzi)

There was some panic over a rabbit

(Y2K)

The dragon race was tight.

(The Bush-Gore presidential election, 2000)

Humpty Dumpty's seat fell on a snake.

(The Humpty dance, 1989, popular to wear pants down below your underwear)

And I have no clue where to start for the other 2 lines:

The rat wasn't with the farm.

The next snake has some monkeys.

Ok so I get the zodiac reference

The rat wasn't with the farm.--not following the party line

The dragon race was tight.--missprint of who won the presidency?

The princess ran away on an ox.--thinking some royal gave up her throne, jackie kennedy marrying Onasis?

There was some panic over a rabbit.--does this refer to pregnancy? I think of the book Run Rabbit Run or JFK getting Marilyn monroe pregnant

Ok now I am thinking all politics....GWB...ahhh

How about...

The young c-o-c-k assumed the position.

Chinese zodiac signs. England's Kings, Tudors, etc. My only problem is that the Chinese didn't use our calendar back then, but I used the 12-year cycle anyway and things just fell into place. The young c-o-c-k is Edward VI born 1537 and assumed the throne in 1547; he was only 9 and he died in 1553. C-o-c-k/Rooster is the sign for 1537.

I started with Humpty Dumpty...he might have been King Richard III. His seat (position) fell on Henry VII. The next snake (Henry VIII has some monkeys (kids born under the Chinese Monkey). Panic over a rabbit could be the illegitimate son Henry Fitroy b 1519 (sign of Rabbit).

Luv, great reasoning and research!

The dragon race was tight.

(The Bush-Gore presidential election, 2000)

(The Humpty dance, 1989, popular to wear pants down below your underwear)

And I have no clue where to start for the other 2 lines:

The rat wasn't with the farm.

The princess ran away on an ox.

(Princess Di ran away from the paparazzi)

There was some panic over a rabbit

(Y2K)

Correct, it was a tight and highly contested dragon race in which some old men and women overstepped their bounds...but let's not get into an argument over politics ;P.

Keep thinking on Humpty....

*Sigh* don't give up on me! Here's another hint...

grey cells was on the right track earlier, but the Great Wall didn't fall...that wouldn't have been so great. But *this* was great!

;)

If you guys still can't get it I'm going to have to write an angry letter to the Secretary of Education letting him/her know how badly World History is taught...;P

*Sigh* don't give up on me! Here's another hint...
grey cells was on the right track earlier, but the Great Wall didn't fall...that wouldn't have been so great. But *this* was great!
;)

If you guys still can't get it I'm going to have to write an angry letter to the Secretary of Education letting him/her know how badly World History is taught...;P

the Berlin wall was dismantled in 1989

in 2001 (the year of the Snake), the movie "Planet of the Apes" was remade from the 1968 version.

And an additional comment on my last post

the rats in Animal Farm remained animals, and not comrades, so therefore didn't leave the farm in the sense that the other animals aspired to something more...or I'm getting way to deep into this.

Wow, dusky, you were on a roll...but Planet of the Apes was not the monkeys I was referring to...

I was indeed referring to 1984 (rat year) and Animal Farm, two separate novels written by Orwell.

The Berlin Wall (Humpty Dumpty's seat) fell in 1989, signaling the beginning of the reunification of Germany.

And "the next snake" does indeed refer to 2001. There is a 12 year cycle for the Chinese Zodiac, so the "next" year of a particular animal is the next cycle, i.e. 12 years later.

Just half a line to go...:)

Wow, dusky, you were on a roll...but Planet of the Apes was not the monkeys I was referring to...

I was indeed referring to 1984 (rat year) and Animal Farm, two separate novels written by Orwell.

The Berlin Wall (Humpty Dumpty's seat) fell in 1989, signaling the beginning of the reunification of Germany.

And "the next snake" does indeed refer to 2001. There is a 12 year cycle for the Chinese Zodiac, so the "next" year of a particular animal is the next cycle, i.e. 12 years later.

Just half a line to go...:)

2001 has a monkey is most likely referring to 2001: A Space Odyssey (there are monkeys in the film), though I do like "a 12 year cycle" and monkeys referring to Twelve Monkeys, but unfortunately it was released in 1995, which was the year of the dog.

Another guess

Scientists created the first genetically altered monkey, with hope of producing Alzheimer's, breast cancer, and other hereditary elements to test possible therapies and vaccines.

2001 has a monkey is most likely referring to 2001: A Space Odyssey (there are monkeys in the film), though I do like "a 12 year cycle" and monkeys referring to Twelve Monkeys, but unfortunately it was released in 1995, which was the year of the dog.

Correct! Excellent work, everyone! :D