BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Mafia III

unreality

Question

Mafia III

Sign up now ;D 12 is the absolute minimum, though 15 is the real minimum. 18 would be awesome, and 21 is ideal for what I have in mind (more than 21 is even better tongue.gif)

Check out Mafia II for more information on what Mafia is, and the concepts and stuff:

Post #29 - Rules
Post #17 - Strategy Tips
Post #51 - Intro
Post #65 - A Wild Evening
Post #77 - The Blue Octane
Post #159 - To The Sharks!!!
Post #174 - Open Warfare
Post #338 - The Web of Lies
Post #360 - Last Girl Standing
Post #429 - A Firelit Lynching (& Epilogue)

I won't post the official rules and roles for Mafia III until I know how many people are playing, so sign up quick biggrin.gif

* Dnae is invincible for the first night and first day
* Puzzlegirl is invincible for the first night

(If you don't know, those two are invincible because they died first & second in Mafia II)

the roster:

Host: Unreality
1) dnae
2) puzzlegirl
3)

• Answers 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

*** Indoctrination: if there is one Mafioso left versus 5 Innocents, instead of killing an Innocent that night he can "induct" someone, making that person a Mafioso, and making the ratio 2-vs-4

Does this apply when there is one mafioso and more than five innocents? It seems like it should be.

Does this apply when there is one mafioso and more than five innocents? It seems like it should be.

I agree. Also, will the person recruited still be able to use there ability or will they just become a normal mafia?

I agree. Also, will the person recruited still be able to use there ability or will they just become a normal mafia?

Another question, if the ratio changes to 2-4 (which have to happen before the day post b/c the previously deceased mafioso would have died either in the previous lynch or the previous night) then that next day, if the mafiosos get to lynch an innocent (2-3), then it's game over (the following night would make it 2-2). So my question is... would the converted person be forced to die at that point? (maybe a suicide out of guilty feeling for betraying the innocents?) making it a fair 1-2.

And Another question, does it have to be 1mafioso against 5 innocents? or could it be 1 mafioso vs 5 people of all the other various factions?

good points about the Indoctrination, guys.

How about I change it to this:

*** Indoctrination: when it reaches the point of only 1 Mafioso left against all other Innocents (no GRs or QAs in there) the Mafioso is informed and the next night he/she can decide to, instead of killing an Innocent, "induct" an Innocent into the Mafia- the Innocent will lose the use of their role's ability, but they will obviously retain any knowledge they had from their role, and become the Goon role of the Mafia (Goon = no special Mafia-related abilities). From that point forward, the Goon wins with the Mafia. If the Defender is indoctrinated, it counts as being "dead" for the Ninja's sake. If the Ninja is indoctrinated while the Defender is still alive, the Mafioso is informed and must pick a different person, or they can still try to indoctrinate the Ninja, but it only has a 50% chance of working

it's possible to use this to win for sure with the Mafia, if it happens at the right time and is utilized properly and lynch an Innocent the next day, but mostly it'll just give the last Mafioso better chances of victory instead of the slim possibility of pulling it off

good points about the Indoctrination, guys.

How about I change it to this:

*** Indoctrination: when it reaches the point of only 1 Mafioso left against all other Innocents (no GRs or QAs in there) the Mafioso is informed and the next night he/she can decide to, instead of killing an Innocent, "induct" an Innocent into the Mafia- the Innocent will lose the use of their role's ability, but they will obviously retain any knowledge they had from their role, and become the Goon role of the Mafia (Goon = no special Mafia-related abilities). From that point forward, the Goon wins with the Mafia. If the Defender is indoctrinated, it counts as being "dead" for the Ninja's sake. If the Ninja is indoctrinated while the Defender is still alive, the Mafioso is informed and must pick a different person, or they can still try to indoctrinate the Ninja, but it only has a 50% chance of working

it's possible to use this to win for sure with the Mafia, if it happens at the right time and is utilized properly and lynch an Innocent the next day, but mostly it'll just give the last Mafioso better chances of victory instead of the slim possibility of pulling it off

You still require 5 innocents, right?

is there a minimum number of innocents? It seems kind of cheap if they can do it when it's 1v1 or 1v2.

if it's 1v1, and night, then the Mafia wins anyway. if it's 1 v 2, and night, then the Mafia wins anyway- or at least can tie it up the next day... hmmm... I'll have to think about ties

there may also be two Lovers, who can PM freely but do not know each other's identities. If a Lover is lynched, the other Lover dies with them. Not sure about what happens if a Lover dies at night...

I kinda like it, I was thinking that the only innocents that should be able to PM eachother freely in the first place were the doc and the healer. Though the double-death lynching thing would be horrible for those roles.

*** Indoctrination: when it reaches the point of only 1 Mafioso left against 4 or more Innocents (no GRs or QAs in there) the Mafioso is informed and the next night he/she can decide to, instead of killing an Innocent, "induct" an Innocent into the Mafia- the Innocent will lose the use of their role's ability, but they will obviously retain any knowledge they had from their role, and become the Goon role of the Mafia (Goon = no special Mafia-related abilities). From that point forward, the Goon wins with the Mafia. If the Defender is indoctrinated, it counts as being "dead" for the Ninja's sake. If the Ninja is indoctrinated while the Defender is still alive, the Mafioso is informed and must pick a different person, or they can still try to indoctrinate the Ninja, but it only has a 50% chance of working

The indoctrination thing just seems like a massive hedge in favor of a baddie win. This game is already going to be in favor of the baddies b/c the PM issue has been handled (HUGE flaw in the last two games), and there are more baddies vs fewer innocents. Plus the vigilante/ninja role has been weakened. Plus there is no bodyguard/nor DW. It seems to me that if in fact the indoctrination action came about, the baddies were obviously doing something terribly wrong and should lose anyway.

Oh, plus the inspector cannot come out with their ability no matter what, plus the detective role is gone. As it is, this game will pretty much be a sure-thing for the baddies. (do not underestimate how big of a problem the PMing thing was. This alone will change the game in a huge way).

Edited by Brandonb

no, my thinking is that if it gets down to, say, 1v6 (and only special condition where the "1" is a Mafioso and the "6" are all Innocents), the last Mafioso should be able to at least have a chance (2v5 is an okay chance- they have to lynch two Innocents in a row to win which is hard, rather than like 5 otherwise)

The indoctrination thing just seems like a massive hedge in favor of a baddie win. This game is already going to be in favor of the baddies b/c the PM issue has been handled (HUGE flaw in the last two games), and there are more baddies vs fewer innocents. Plus the vigilante/ninja role has been weakened. Plus there is no bodyguard/nor DW. It seems to me that if in fact the indoctrination action came about, the baddies were obviously doing something terribly wrong and should lose anyway.

Oh, plus the inspector cannot come out with their ability no matter what, plus the detective role is gone. As it is, this game will pretty much be a sure-thing for the baddies. (do not underestimate how big of a problem the PMing thing was. This alone will change the game in a huge way).

Just to point out, the Warlock is similar to the Desert Warrior; it was created as a replacement, wasn't it?

I don't know how the indoctrination thing will play out. We could leave it in the rules for now and leave to the discretion of the host whether it would be balanced or not...we just have to hope that the host is the impartial judge that we know him to be. :P

also, with Indoctrination, what happens if it gets down to 1 AGAIN... it should only be able to happen once in the game
you have more experience - perhaps the ratio should be taken into account ? or let it fade to a win and move on to new game?

there may also be two Lovers, who can PM freely but do not know each other's identities. If a Lover is lynched, the other Lover dies with them. Not sure about what happens if a Lover dies at night...

I think it would be interesting to have two characters joined not just so if one dies, the other does to, but whatever happens to one, happens to the other (one is saved, the other is saved too). There could also be a requirement that one is a baddie and one is good. ;)

Or is that going too far?

Yeah, if the baddies are that bad off, why not just leave it be and call it a game?

cuz that would be a lame ending

but okay, I see your point. Indoctrination idea removed. If it's 1v5, tough luck baddie :P you can still win

one more thing I need to resolve: lynch ties

a few options:

1* if an ongoing discussion/defense is going, we can extend the time limit to give people enough time to listen and possibly change their votes

2* whichever side has more Mafiosos wins the tie

3* whichever side has more QAs wins the tie

4* whichever side has more baddies in general wins the tie

5* a "tiebreaker" character is designated by me, picked completely randomly and independent of any role. If the tiebreaker character dies, they must PM me who the new "tiebreaker" will be

I like 1, 4 and 5.

2 & 3 wouldn't work near the end if that particular faction is gone

I kinda like #5, actually. I think it's the best idea. However if a Mafia ends up being the randomly picked tiebreaker, it's basically the same as #2 until/if the last Mafioso dies and hands it off to a new person, which is fine

what do you guys think?