BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Mafia III

unreality

Question

Mafia III

Sign up now ;D 12 is the absolute minimum, though 15 is the real minimum. 18 would be awesome, and 21 is ideal for what I have in mind (more than 21 is even better tongue.gif)

Check out Mafia II for more information on what Mafia is, and the concepts and stuff:

Post #29 - Rules
Post #17 - Strategy Tips
Post #51 - Intro
Post #65 - A Wild Evening
Post #77 - The Blue Octane
Post #159 - To The Sharks!!!
Post #174 - Open Warfare
Post #338 - The Web of Lies
Post #360 - Last Girl Standing
Post #429 - A Firelit Lynching (& Epilogue)

I won't post the official rules and roles for Mafia III until I know how many people are playing, so sign up quick biggrin.gif

* Dnae is invincible for the first night and first day
* Puzzlegirl is invincible for the first night

(If you don't know, those two are invincible because they died first & second in Mafia II)

the roster:

Host: Unreality
1) dnae
2) puzzlegirl
3)

• Answers 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

hmm... yeah no Ghost, but the Medium is interesting... I don't think that communication with dead players is a good idea at all though, or anything related to dead players

right now, I'm looking at the Copycat/Emulator/Mimic character as a replacement for Town Crier

Yeah, we wouldn't want any zombies. :lol:

For the Copycat/Emulator/Mimic, some name ideas:

Imitator

Clone

Duplicator

wait I got it:

* Janitor - the Janitor, after his/her many years of watching and learning, has learned a lot of vital skills.... [etc]

Hehehe I like it (and the jack of trade for the following reason). Instead of rolling a die, you draw from a deck or cards. (this is done EVERY night)

A=Doctor (Saving someone or him/her self)

2=Body Guard (Save but is binded to the 1/3 rule)

3=Sphinx (turns into a sphinx and protects one person. If baddie trying to kill the person blah blah blah)

4=Spy (PMs you one player, you reveal their role)

5=Bomb (can use lie-detect ability & If killed at night, there is a 1/2 chance it will be a dud and a 1/2 chance blah blah blah(though maybe just the lie detector instead))

6=Godfather (see the faction of 1 person (a faction is: mafia/innocent/QA/GR))

7=Thief (steal from 1 person and assume their identity the next day)

8=Warlock (can bewitch one person and if that person is a Quarky Agent, they explode the next day)

9=Grim Reaper (Gets to Kill)

10=Lose the turn for that night

J= Free Choice of any role

Q= Lose the turn for that night

K= Lose the turn for that night

*or something along these lines, maybe instead of the bodyguard thing it's another "lose turn."

This needs to be done before they choose the person, otherwise they may kill the person they intended to help.

Edited by Brandonb

hmmm I was thinking not all the abilities, and not specifically attributed ones- just nameless abilities.

Well this is what I have so far:

* Janitor - the Janitor, after his/her many years of watching and learning, has adopted many vital skills. Each night, I roll a 6-sided dice to determine the action of the Janitor (saving, killing, guarding [1/2 kill attacker, 1/2 die for the charge], discovering specific role, nothing, or choice of the previous 5 if I roll a 6). The Janitor picks a person and then (unless a 6 is rolled) they find out what the action was at the night post

though the card deck thing is interesting, I'm not sure I like it. I'm trying to go for balance and simplicity at the same time ;D

Edited by unreality

hmmm I was thinking not all the abilities, and not specifically attributed ones- just nameless abilities.

Well this is what I have so far:

* Janitor - the Janitor, after his/her many years of watching and learning, has adopted many vital skills. Each night, I roll a 6-sided dice to determine the action of the Janitor (saving, killing, guarding [1/2 kill attacker, 1/2 die for the charge], discovering specific role, nothing, or choice of the previous 5 if I roll a 6). The Janitor picks a person and then (unless a 6 is rolled) they find out what the action was at the night post

though the card deck thing is interesting, I'm not sure I like it. I'm trying to go for balance and simplicity at the same time ;D

It may cause a big problem because the person chosen may die or be helped, if that's the case then it may be too much of a risk to use the ability at all.

A janitor should know what they are doing.

Edited by Brandonb

also me and BB have come up with a way to stop discovery of Mafiosos by watching for PM activity or "whose online" or anything like that- I've made an external forum (with the Mafia and QA forums hidden from each other) for bad guys to chat instead of PMs

How exactly would that work? Sorry, I don't know much about forum stuff. Also, I never figured out how you checked PM activity. Just curious, I never knew you could.

Edited by Frost

It may cause a big problem because the person chosen may die or be helped, if that's the case then it may be too much of a risk to use the ability at all.

A janitor should know what they are doing.

The Janitor could become a very powerful role for the innocents if they knew who they were imitating, possibly too powerful. However, if uninformed about what their ability would do, they would become a chaos machine confusing everyone and making the game even more crazy. Imagine what would happen if spy inspects the janitor when they are impersonating a mafia. A few days later, when the spy comes out they lead the lynch against the janitor, no one expects that the janitor is anything but a mafia. However, when the lynch comes to a majority and the day post is made, it turns out that the janitor was impersonating the bomb and the spy gets blown up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How exactly would that work? Sorry, I don't know much about forum stuff. Also, I never figured out how you checked PM activity. Just curious, I never knew you could.

On the main page, at the bottom, right below the list of active members is a link that says "Last Click."

It tells you who is doing what.

This new Forum that Unreality created is private and only allows the mafiosos to enter and post to eachother (once they inform Unreality of their alternate screen names to get in). There is no way to tell who is doing the posting unless you are inside. There is also another one for the QAs if they get the chance to use it.

On the main page, at the bottom, right below the list of active members is a link that says "Last Click."

That's what I figured, I just never thought it was as specific as that.

This new Forum that Unreality created is private and only allows the mafiosos to enter and post to eachother (once they inform Unreality of their alternate screen names to get in). There is no way to tell who is doing the posting unless you are inside. There is also another one for the QAs if they get the chance to use it.

Aaah...very clever, that would be faster than PMs too.

Another thing about the inability to know the action until the person is chosen, is that the janitor would not be able to save him/her self if using the doctor role.

I will differ simply because the janitor may use many of his everyday items to save a life such as a rag to stop someones bleeding. A broomstick to trip someone who is running aimlessly with a gun. A mop with lots of water to make a baddie slip and fall to allow one to escape. Janitors and doctors are alike in many ways.

He can cut a hole in ones throat with his pocket knife to allow anothers breathing. He can use alot of his gear to keep someone alive as a doctor would. So, never underestimate the life of a janitor. He can easily use those same implements for his own well being. You need to think it out a bit more my friend. :)

Edited by akaslickster

I think that after all of the mistakes which had occurred, it should run smoothly. Only thing is, just when you think that all of the troubles have been corrected, mysteriously, another one shows up. :( I have an astronomical amount of ideas to tell ya'll :D

Edited by akaslickster

about the Janitor, I think the Janitor should NOT know what they're doing- btw Slick I like "impersonation" idea, I'm adding that:

* Janitor - the Janitor, after his/her many years of watching and learning, has adopted many vital skills. Each night, I roll a 6-sided dice to determine the action of the Janitor (saving, killing, guarding [1/2 kill attacker, 1/2 die for the charge], discovering specific role, impersonating, or cleaning [ie, nothing]). The Janitor picks a person other than themself and then they find out what the action was at the night post

so we got

1) saving

2) killing

3) guarding

4) discovering

5) impersonating

6) cleaning

I like the fact that the Janitor doesn't know what action he/she is performing. It adds a bit of predictability without making it useless- ie, the Janitor can be 5/6 sure it's not killling someone... but there's also only a 1/3 chance that they'll actually save someone if they use it on a possibly baddie... it's good numbers. I like it. :P

lol..yeah ;) once I visited ur profile and it said that u were viewing the online list...actually i was visiting everyones proile who were playing mafia...just wanted to see who were pming each other :P but it was a very crude way to know about the pm activity...when i saw that online list I got curious and tried and searched and searched for a lot of time..then I found out how u did that ;) last click/member name :)

lol..yeah ;) once I visited ur profile and it said that u were viewing the online list...actually i was visiting everyones proile who were playing mafia...just wanted to see who were pming each other :P but it was a very crude way to know about the pm activity...when i saw that online list I got curious and tried and searched and searched for a lot of time..then I found out how u did that ;) last click/member name :)

Yeah, I wasn't the one that came up with it though. Someone else in Maf II had the baddies on a very short list from the start using that little trick.

about the Janitor, I think the Janitor should NOT know what they're doing- btw Slick I like "impersonation" idea, I'm adding that:

* Janitor - the Janitor, after his/her many years of watching and learning, has adopted many vital skills. Each night, I roll a 6-sided dice to determine the action of the Janitor (saving, killing, guarding [1/2 kill attacker, 1/2 die for the charge], discovering specific role, impersonating, or cleaning [ie, nothing]). The Janitor picks a person other than themself and then they find out what the action was at the night post

so we got

1) saving

2) killing

3) guarding

4) discovering

5) impersonating

6) cleaning

I like the fact that the Janitor doesn't know what action he/she is performing. It adds a bit of predictability without making it useless- ie, the Janitor can be 5/6 sure it's not killling someone... but there's also only a 1/3 chance that they'll actually save someone if they use it on a possibly baddie... it's good numbers. I like it. :P

This game is about strategy though. Having a complete and total wild card kinda kills the strategy for that character.

The Janitor picks a person other than themself and then they find out what the action was at the night post

So, everyone else would find out what the janitor did? Would everyone know who the janitor targeted, too?

Edited by Cherry Lane