BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

Sure, I'll tell you all about how Billy Bob began his award-winning garden. My memory is a little foggy, but here goes: Billy Bob had suddenly and unexpectedly after years of selfless dedication to Trader Joe, decided to grow some vegetables for himself and subsequently planted his garden late in May. He planted five different vegetables: Tomatoes, Peppers, Radishes, Lettuce, and Broccoli. For each he planted a different number of rows from one to five. The hard work involved with each planting was accomplished on a separate day, from May 25th to May 30th (On Sunday May 26th he didn't work in the garden). Each vegetable was planted in a different part of the garden, the north end, the south side, the east side, the west side or the northwest corner. I can't remember specifically which was what and where and when, but I can remember bits and pieces. Maybe you can tell which vegetable was planted in each part of the garden, the day planted and the number of rows?

Billy Bob turned the soil for the peppers three days after he dug hand-size rocks out of the radish patch. His bright rows of radishes went deeper than the broccoli but were not as deep as the tomatoes. He rolled his trusty wheelbarrow into the west end of the garden one day before he planted the broccoli. He believes the morning sun is bad for tomatoes and so kept those plants out of the eastern side of his garden.

Billy Bob labored hard in the south side of the garden and was mighty proud of the three perfect rows there. On one week's last day, he planted the east side of the garden. He didn't put the peppers or the tomatoes in the northwest corner. He planted an even number of rows in the Northwest corner of his garden.

Billy Bob planted three rows before he planted two rows, but planted them after he planted four rows. He figured the lettuce wouldn't last long so he planted fewer than three rows. He planted the south garden one day before he planted the lettuce. He planted more rows of peppers than he did broccoli (which was not planted in the west side of the garden and was not planted the 29th).

I hope you can piece all this together because I sure would like to have a garden like that myself now that I think about it.

20 answers to this question

His bright rows of radishes went deeper than the broccoli but were not as deep as the tomatoes.

Does this line actually help solve the puzzle? If so, I'm confused.

Does this line actually help solve the puzzle? If so, I'm confused.

It tells you at least one thing. I haven't worked it through properly yet to know if that thing is crucial, but I suspect it will be. Read more closely.

I have about 1/3 of it worked out, but am stuck, I must be missing something. I'll come back to it later.

To clarify, does "On one week's last day, he planted the east side of the garden." mean that the East was either on the first Saturday or on the last day?

I have about 1/3 of it worked out, but am stuck, I must be missing something. I'll come back to it later.

To clarify, does "On one week's last day, he planted the east side of the garden." mean that the East was either on the first Saturday or on the last day?

It means Saturday

Edit: apologies to those who end week's on Sunday or some other day - just go with Saturday for this one

Edited by itachi-san

It tells you at least one thing. I haven't worked it through properly yet to know if that thing is crucial, but I suspect it will be. Read more closely.

Ahh, so it does. Thanks.

Maybe wrong... at least you can't say I haven't tried!

Radish - 25th, East, 4 rows

Tomatoe - 27th, West, 5 rows

Pepper - 28th, South, 3 rows

Lettuce - 29th, corner, 2 rows

Broccoli - 30th, North, 1 row

Edited by = W =

I can't figure out the last two spots, but here's what I found:

25-May, Radishes, East, ?

27-May, Tomatoes, North, ?

28-May, Peppers, South, 3

29-May, Lettuce, West, 1

30-May, Broccoli, Northwest, 2

I'm not sure how I ended up differently than =W=, but anyhow...

29-May, Lettuce, West, 1

Hehehe... it's because I could do something wrong!

Day 1- Sat., May 25th: tomatoes, 1 row, East

Day 2- Mon., May 27th: radishes, 4 rows, West

Day 3- Tue., May 28th: broccoli, 3 rows, South

Day 4- Wed., May 29th: lettuce, 2 rows, Northwest

Day 5- Thur., May 30th: peppers, 5 rows, North

oops- just saw the thing about the tomatoes. have to go back and try again. ignore this one.

Edited by engspangussian

I was trying to figure out what I did wrong, and it seems something doesn't mesh in the riddle. don't the tomatoes have to be planted before the radishes (root length)? And yet, the radishes can be planted no later than the second day (three days before peppers). Which would make the tomatoes the saturday veggie, but saturday is the east side of the garden which doesn't work. Did I misinterpret something?

29-May, Lettuce, West, 1

All correct! Just those 2 pesky question marks to sort out

All correct! Just those 2 pesky question marks to sort out

I can't find anything to rule out either possibility, so I'll guess:

25-May, Radishes, East, 4

27-May, Tomatoes, North, 5

29-May, Lettuce, West, 1