BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

Edward the alchemist had recently died. He left his brother Al the Philosopher's Stone. It has the power to make any metal into gold. It was nowhere to be seen though. However, Ed seemed to have left instructions on how to find it:

Take 12 toenails,

Add 5 nincompoops,

Mix that with 14 salads.

Next add 9 icicles,

2 dead frogs,

And 6 wet rocks.

Finally, put 14 cats in,

Along with 12 ace of spades,

7 diamond bracelets,

And 9 monkeys' paws.

Can you help Al find the stone?

19 answers to this question

Edward the alchemist had recently died. He left his brother Al the Philosopher's Stone. It has the power to make any metal into gold. It was nowhere to be seen though. However, Ed seemed to have left instructions on how to find it:

Take 12 toenails,

Add 5 nincompoops,

Mix that with 14 salads.

Next add 9 icicles,

2 dead frogs,

And 6 wet rocks.

Finally, put 14 cats in,

Along with 12 ace of spades,

7 diamond bracelets,

And 9 monkeys' paws.

Can you help Al find the stone?

All the things that are being added on this list start with a different letter ('t' for toenails, 'n' for nincompoops, etc.) and have a number of which to add. It seems you might have to take that number of the first letter of the ingredient and add it to a pool of letters which would look like this:

TTTTTTTTTTTTNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIDDWWWWWWCCCCCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDD

DMMMMMMMMM

And then rearrage the letters frantically to make sense out of it. I'm hoping that's not right though, because I don't want to figure out how to rearrange that many letters :P

All the things that are being added on this list start with a different letter ('t' for toenails, 'n' for nincompoops, etc.) and have a number of which to add. It seems you might have to take that number of the first letter of the ingredient and add it to a pool of letters which would look like this:

TTTTTTTTTTTTNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIDDWWWWWWCCCCCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDD

DMMMMMMMMM

And then rearrage the letters frantically to make sense out of it. I'm hoping that's not right though, because I don't want to figure out how to rearrange that many letters :P

Don't worry, it's simpler than that ;)

the anagram solution doesn't work for me... too long, complicated. the items themselves aren't anagrams... i'm having a tough time with it! heeeeelllllp

brandonb.. where did you get that solution?

the anagram solution doesn't work for me... too long, complicated. the items themselves aren't anagrams... i'm having a tough time with it! heeeeelllllp

brandonb.. where did you get that solution?

It's not an anagram... it's actually spelled out quite clearly. Except for one line that is different from the others, it through me for a minute.

:P

The first time I tried it I got "Ed-less city"

...probably not a very good hint

Edit: Just figure it out, no previous knowledge required.

Edited by Brandonb

no, i don't understand it either. :huh: <_< -_-

I couldn't get it either, but the hints helped.

Look at the characters of each line (letters and punctuation) and relationship to the numbers.

also there are other synonyms for walking stick. ;)