BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Ok. This one must be done in your head ONLY! Don't spoil it by running to your toolkit to find a couple of screws (or bolts)...

Here is the question:

You have 2 identical right-handed screws or bolts (by right-handed, I mean you have to turn them clockwise to drive them into wood or something).

Hold each screw by the head of the screw using your thumb and forefinger so that the body of the screw is pointing away from your hand.

Bring the screws together in front of you horizontally with the threads interlocking as shown here:

post-6765-1209898629_thumbjpg

Now, turn the screw in your right around the other screw in a clockwise direction (as seen from the right) while keeping the threads interlocked at all times.

The question is: Do the screws move inwards? outwards? or stay at the same place?

Remember, its easy to just take a guess or use screws to try it. The best way is to figure it on your own in your head! Be honest! Post your answer before you try it!

20 answers to this question

Ok. This one must be done in your head ONLY! Don't spoil it by running to your toolkit to find a couple of screws (or bolts)...

Here is the question:

You have 2 identical right-handed screws or bolts (by right-handed, I mean you have to turn them clockwise to drive them into wood or something).

Hold each screw by the head of the screw using your thumb and forefinger so that the body of the screw is pointing away from your hand.

Bring the screws together in front of you horizontally with the threads interlocking as shown here:

Now, turn the screw in your right around the other screw in a clockwise direction (as seen from the right) while keeping the threads interlocked at all times.

The question is: Do the screws move inwards? outwards? or stay at the same place?

Remember, its easy to just take a guess or use screws to try it. The best way is to figure it on your own in your head! Be honest! Post your answer before you try it!

[spoiler=bonanova gives Roz a free spoiler... B)) ]

Both will move forward!!!

am i screwed?

each one will pull the other!!!

if you're only turning the screw in your right hand clockwise, then the two screws will get closer together because, as you said earlier, turning a screw right drives it into something.

the screws will get closer together.

Something more to think about:

What happens if you rotate the screw clockwise simultaneously while you 'revolve' it around the other screw?

:huh:

I think it won't move.

Am I right?

they would be opposing eachothers direction equally and simultaneously therefore staying the same place?

Here is the question:

I thought about it...

inward

Then I showed it to my friend, who said the answer was the opposite, and then to prove him wrong I actually did it. My screws are really small, but I think I am right. :)

Ok. Here is the actual answer:

The screws won't move in or out. Their motion around each other cancels out. This is true even if you move the screw anti-clockwise.

However, if you rotate the screw simultaneously while taking it around the other, it will go in or out depending on how you rotate it.

They get farther apart. By rotating one screw clockwise around the other, you are effectively turning that screw anticlockwise. Or the other screw, or both--whichever you please.

Okay, I just read the answer spoiler and here is my issue with it

The threads would have to break contact (or break coition, if you prefer) for this to be true. If you maintain thread coition, they will move apart. I don't have any screws handy to double-check this. Did anyone do this?