BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

You are on a completely barren deserted island. There’s a castle in the center of the island with a square 11 foot moat surrounding it, filled with concentrated acid (it can’t be neutralized and touching it will kill you instantly or consume anything instantly). The moat is 100 ft deep and the walls of the moat are straight (so the width is the same at the surface as it is at the water level). The castle has been long abandoned but there is all the food and water you can eat and drink and a operating cell phone for you to order pizza (or for calling to get off the island if they don’t deliver to deserted islands). The island is devoid of all life (ie. no vines or trees or even rocks) and the ground is too hard to dig into. All you have on the island are the 3wood planks 9.5’ x 12” x .75” in size - that used to float to the island, a cold 355 mL can of your favorite drink in a perfectly insulating sleeve, and nothing else (no rope, no clothes, nothing). How can you get into the castle?

19 answers to this question

yes just use the planks as a raft or flotation device to make it across.

You are on a completely barren deserted island. There's a castle in the center of the island with a square 11 foot moat surrounding it, filled with concentrated acid (it can't be neutralized and touching it will kill you instantly or consume anything instantly). The moat is 100 ft deep and the walls of the moat are straight (so the width is the same at the surface as it is at the water level). The castle has been long abandoned but there is all the food and water you can eat and drink and a operating cell phone for you to order pizza (or for calling to get off the island if they don't deliver to deserted islands). The island is devoid of all life (ie. no vines or trees or even rocks) and the ground is too hard to dig into. All you have on the island are the 3wood planks 9.5' x 12" x .75" in size - that used to float to the island, a cold 355 mL can of your favorite drink in a perfectly insulating sleeve, and nothing else (no rope, no clothes, nothing). How can you get into the castle?

yes just use the planks as a raft or flotation device to make it across.

and this...

filled with concentrated acid (it can't be neutralized and touching it will kill you instantly or consume anything instantly......

does nopt concern you?

and this...

filled with concentrated acid (it can't be neutralized and touching it will kill you instantly or consume anything instantly......

does nopt concern you?

If the planks touch the acid they are consumed instantly.

Also, you'll notice the moat is 11 feet not 10 feet wide.

Edited by Dredvard

Wouldn't work. Anyone weighing over 30 pounds or so would cause a board that is 9.5' long and .75" thick to bow drastically. It would dump you in the acid. This would probably be true even if you doubled one of the boards.

I'd say the best way is to drink your drink, use the can to create a simple scraping tool, scrape at the boards until you can rip them lengthwise, then use 3 or 4 lengths together as a pole to vault over the moat. You can easily vault 11' on a 9.5' pole.

I did the math, and the solution from the other puzzle doesn't work here. I'm guessing we need to use all three planks somehow...and possibly the perfectly insulated beverage container as well. Does perfectly insulated mean that it is insulated against acid?

Wouldn't work. Anyone weighing over 30 pounds or so would cause a board that is 9.5' long and .75" thick to bow drastically. It would dump you in the acid. This would probably be true even if you doubled one of the boards.

Diet pizza and the already posted solution works just fine. ;)

Locked.

Premature ... Keeping the thread open.

My bad ... :wacko:

one goes over the corner the second goes acroos from the first to the other side

| |_

|\ /

|_\_

The corners are now 15.5 across the diagonal since its 11 feet wide not 9.5. You'd be short about 1 foot.

You might be right about the boards bowing, although they are 1 foot across. We can assume they are 1.5" thick which would strength them up considerably. Although I've seen it done and I think it would still work with .75".

One mention is the last sentence How so how?

I'm not sure I understand your question.

You can assume the can is perfectly insulated from the acid although I would want to balance on it since a little wave would send you and your plank into the water. The level of the water in the moat is probably not level with ground... maybe be a couple feet lower than the ground level.

Edited by Dredvard

You are on a completely barren deserted island. There’s a castle in the center of the island with a square 11 foot moat surrounding it, filled with concentrated acid (it can’t be neutralized and touching it will kill you instantly or consume anything instantly). The moat is 100 ft deep and the walls of the moat are straight (so the width is the same at the surface as it is at the water level). The castle has been long abandoned but there is all the food and water you can eat and drink and a operating cell phone for you to order pizza (or for calling to get off the island if they don’t deliver to deserted islands). The island is devoid of all life (ie. no vines or trees or even rocks) and the ground is too hard to dig into. All you have on the island are the 3wood planks 9.5’ x 12” x .75” in size - that used to float to the island, a cold 355 mL can of your favorite drink in a perfectly insulating sleeve, and nothing else (no rope, no clothes, nothing). How can you get into the castle?

Castles usually have windows or doors so, with it being abandoned, there'd be nobody stop you from breaking in quite easily.

The corners are now 15.5 across the diagonal since its 11 feet wide not 9.5. You'd be short about 1 foot.

You might be right about the boards bowing, although they are 1 foot across. We can assume they are 1.5" thick which would strength them up considerably. Although I've seen it done and I think it would still work with .75".

Large variable, strength ratios between different specis and also within specis, ie oak/pine ... scots pine/pitch pine and quality within specis too, pitch pine free of defects compared to knotty material

just a little info, it's not like wallpaper or steel, it's grown by nature and nurtured by man.

FanQ 4 reading

Cuz it got originally closed I can't attach the solution in the first post. But here is anyway.

Assemble the 3 planks in a throwing star pattern as shown below on the land, with the each plank going on top of the the tip of the one beside it and under the one in front of it. Tilt it up, walk it over to the edge of the moat and lower it down gently and hope it doesn’t separate when it hits the ground. You can now walk across. Once you reach the other side, open the can and enjoy it, because you deserve it.

castle.bmp

If you don’t believe this will work, try it at home with three knifes.

Theoretically you might be able to bridge a 12.5” moat if you put it at the corner but practically I don’t know if you can put it down. You’d also have to mark your spots where the legs of the bridge should be very carefully and make sure they don’t move. However, I expect it would probably bounce as you were laying it down (if the feet didn’t move) and land the far end into the acid leaving your only other option being to sit down, crack open the cold one and at least enjoy it.

Edited by Dredvard

it sounds nearly as risky as a running start and a 12' jump. I would rather stay out of the castle myself and enjoy some water.

Cuz it got originally closed I can't attach the solution in the first post. But here is anyway.

Assemble the 3 planks in a throwing star pattern as shown below on the land, with the each plank going on top of the the tip of the one beside it and under the one in front of it. Tilt it up, walk it over to the edge of the moat and lower it down gently and hope it doesn’t separate when it hits the ground. You can now walk across. Once you reach the other side, open the can and enjoy it, because you deserve it.

castle.bmp

If you don’t believe this will work, try it at home with three knifes.

Theoretically you might be able to bridge a 12.5” moat if you put it at the corner but practically I don’t know if you can put it down. You’d also have to mark your spots where the legs of the bridge should be very carefully and make sure they don’t move. However, I expect it would probably bounce as you were laying it down (if the feet didn’t move) and land the far end into the acid leaving your only other option being to sit down, crack open the cold one and at least enjoy it.

Why would we need a 355ml can of our favourite drink?

Its in the solution :rolleyes:

The person I car pool had another spin on using the 355 L can

Once you're done assembling this contraption you're going to need a drink!! I only threw it in there as a red herring cuz I figured the answer might be too obvious when I said 3 planks... but I guess not.

However, about the puzzle you'd be surprise how strong this bridge actually is. It can easily hold your weight. I've seen this done with regular construction planks which I'm pretty sure were no thicker than .75" - although I can't comment on what type of wood it was.

Edited by Dredvard