BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

OK, you were accidentally frozen to the point where you are clinically dead and do not age. You are awakened in the year 3000 (doesn't really matter what year, just far into the future). The technology consists of any and every amazing technological feat that can only be imagined and described in 2008, i.e. teleportation, easy access space travel, intermingling with aliens, you name it, they got it. Picture Futurama if you've seen that show, but then make that scenario real in your mind. Think of the technological advances we've made in the last 100 years and compare them to what we must be capable of in the next 1,000 years. Perhaps the shock would be overwhelming. Perhaps we would never be able to adjust.

If we did manage to survive though, how long would you think it would take for the average human to begin to take it all for granted, if at all? Obviously this differs drastically between age groups, a baby would take little to no time.

1) How about the average human though?

2) How about yourself?

3) Would either the average person or you ever begin to take a futuristic world for granted or would the shock and thrill never end?

12 answers to this question

Interesting question. I suspect it would require surprisingly little adaptation to cope with the changes in technology. We are used to dealing with technological change in a way that no previous generation has been. Nowadays we routinely accept that things move forward at a pace you can hardly keep up with, so you don't bother trying to keep up, and simply take what you can from the technology without trying to keep "on top" of it all. If I were transported to a world where everything was bizarre and fantastic I don't think it would blow my mind or anything. I'm sure I'd just enjoy it and accept that I was completely new to things. We seem to live in an age that creates that kind of blasé attitude. For example, I remember as a kid being totally fascinated by special effects in movies. It was really exciting to see something like Terminator II where there was a real leap forward in special effects. Jurassic Park was a landmark movie in that sense. Dinosaurs on film, so lifelike they could be real! But no younger generation will ever understand that excitement because now you can do anything with CGI and it's all pretty meaningless. So it is with technology in general, I suspect. Once it gets to a certain point you just accept that anything is possible so nothing amazes you any more.

Cultural change, on the other hand, may be a different matter. Who knows how bizarre the people might seem to me? I may be stuck with trying to impose 21st-century values in a society that has moved on. But to me it might just seem wrong and that might be something I never get past.

1. The average person seems to have a remarkable ability to adapt to any situation. With that said, the average person depends on where they are 'plucked' from. The average sub-Saharan bushman is going to react differently than the average kid off the streets of New York City (or any major city). These different people are already exposed to a certain level of technology (or lack of it) in their lives. Obviously any year that far into the future will make any person feel like a fish out of water, but the mindsets of each of the used examples will be very different from each other in acclimating.

2. I love new technology, and think it would be wonderful to see what wonders may come, but I will be honest, it may take me a little while to take it all in. I love learning, but I imagine I'd be learning many things as a child of the future may learn them. Does this mean it would take years for me ? I'd like to think no as I can generally learn at a rather accelerated rate, but I won't be 'ready' for the world overnight.

3. I think it depends on the mindset again of people whether or not they would or could take such a world for granted. However, I don't think I, nor anyone transported to such a future could ever take it for granted after living in our current world to be honest. There would always be the memory of where we came from to compare it to.

Can't answer one - I'm not sure what the definition is for 'the man on the clapham omnibus'

two - won't argue the frozen/unfrozen bit but can say I look forward to some high tec, though my fear would be some compulsory laws that mean an obligatory/mandatory face lift or intrusive things

three - jury out on that cos it would depend on No.2

Edited by Lost in space

Most people tend to adapt to changes quickly. I think for most people though it would be a bit of a shock. I mean just think EVERYTHING would be different. From the way we brush our teeth, to the way we interact with others. I personally am not an easily adaptable person. I'm sorta stuck in my ways. Example: I own a dish washer, but I still wash dishes by hand cause that's how I grew up. I don't think I would feel independent enough in the new enviroment, which would drive me insane.

The people who grew up with the technology most definately would take advantage of it. It is what they are used to depending on and counting on. I don't think I personally would, I don't think I would want anything to do with it. I would still try to be independent. Sheesh the whole idea of being in the situation gives me anxiety.

(making appointment with my therapist)

We already take the fantastic for granted. Cars. 200 years ago, a car would have been beyond amazing. Think of the pioneers heading west in covered wagons -- they were lucky if everyone made the journy alive. You can actually get in a car and cover hundreds of miles per day -- unheard of! And everyone has a car? Even teenagers? Crazy. And lets not even mention planes which can cross oceans in hours. Computers, phones -- much less cellular phones. Air conditioning (Most of the world population doesn't even have airconditioning and we don't give it a second thought). Surgery -- most people will have some kind of surgery some time in their lives. We can give people new hearts. People used to die from infections from minor wounds all the time and WE can give people new HEARTS.

We already live in the fantastic. Most take it for granted.

As far as adjusting. I think people would eventually adjust. After 20 years of using some fantastic thing every day, you're not going to think about it every time anymore. Though you'll still be the crazy person who actually likes to read BOOKS. Those things just belong in museums -- why would you want to do something in such an old and slow way?

Edited by KarenClark

I'm sure by that time they will have created a "DATE CHIP" that can be implanted in your brain and you automatically have all the knowledge up until that time or at least I don't know why they wouldn't have it by that time. I'm sure that knowledge will be sold by these "chips" and you become an expert in whatever you purchase.

I think it'd be pretty sweet tho. Couldn't imagine bringing someone from 1800 to 2008 tho. I think it'd take them about a week to get them out of the house from watching the LCD.

I just want to say this. My dad who is 56 said that "The government in the 60's said that by 2008 we will all have hovercars." I WANT MY HOVERCAR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

To get some perspective on this issue we could imagine bringing someone from 1000 years in the past to the present and see how well they adapt to our technology, do you think they might flip out or just run with it? edit: just saw that someone else brought this up...oops

Edited by randomnumber

To get some perspective on this issue we could imagine bringing someone from 1000 years in the past to the present and see how well they adapt to our technology, do you think they might flip out or just run with it? edit: just saw that someone else brought this up...oops

Yeah, this is pretty much my point that's it not just as easy as "everything gets old". In my opinion the average person would be an adult and I would venture to say that a person from 1,000 years might take the rest of their life, maybe even never, to get used to our technology and our way of life (at least in a 1st World country). Another acceptable conclusion would be that they would take a lot of what they see to be divinely influenced, since back then there weren't many atheists. This may lead to a mental condition or some altered state of thinking that will never jive with our present. Basically, the longer a person lives thinking and doing the same, the harder it is for that person's mind to bend and shape itself to assimilate and accept something that would otherwise be completely unreal to them. I think there's a strong possibility that an adult from 1,000 years may not be able to ever grasp our present. But would there be a difference in that reasoning for a person now that is brought 1,000 into our future? Do all the technological advances we've made in the last 100+ years help cushion the blow so to speak?

Yeah, this is pretty much my point that's it not just as easy as "everything gets old". In my opinion the average person would be an adult and I would venture to say that a person from 1,000 years might take the rest of their life, maybe even never, to get used to our technology and our way of life (at least in a 1st World country). Another acceptable conclusion would be that they would take a lot of what they see to be divinely influenced, since back then there weren't many atheists. This may lead to a mental condition or some altered state of thinking that will never jive with our present. Basically, the longer a person lives thinking and doing the same, the harder it is for that person's mind to bend and shape itself to assimilate and accept something that would otherwise be completely unreal to them. I think there's a strong possibility that an adult from 1,000 years may not be able to ever grasp our present. But would there be a difference in that reasoning for a person now that is brought 1,000 into our future? Do all the technological advances we've made in the last 100+ years help cushion the blow so to speak?

I disagree, they will adapt just fine. Havent you seen the Saturday Night Live skit "Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3939962199551852407