BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Barber Paradox (Russell's Paradox)

rookie1ja

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if barber is born in that village - shave no one.( also seems no one shaves there and that is his name)

if barber is out coming - he shave himself and all other who can't shave itself.

because seems it is a barber for sure - he is out coming and paradox moves to point

that all in that villages suddenly start to shaves...

which(why) new coming changes old set (are valuable).

• 1 month later...

Barber Paradox (Russell's Paradox) - Back to the Paradoxes

Analogue paradox to the paradox of liar formulated English logician, philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell.

There was a barber in a village, who promised to shave everybody, who does not shave himself (or herself).

Can the barber shave himself and keep the mentioned promise?

Edited (better wording?):

In a village, the barber shaves everyone who does not shave himself/herself, but no one else.

Who shaves the barber?

in the first wording, he can shave himslef but he chooses not to, but shaving himself or not he still keeps his promise. in the seccond wording however, the promiss restrics him from shaving himself for he is capable of shaving himself, therefor since he made the promiss " i will shave only those who are not cappable of shaving themselves" he is cappable, so the promiss means he is resticted. but if you wish to argue more, the promiss restricts him therefor he is uncappable of shaving himelf. so if that loophole is found he may shave himself.

• 2 months later...

Perhaps there is another barber in the village and many of the villagers get shaved by him. This being the case our barber could keep his promise to shave everyone who does not shave him/her self including himself, because he too gets shaved by the other barber.

Then he isn't shaving himself, which means he must shave himself, which means he must not shave him self, which means he must shave himself.....

• 2 weeks later...

Mystery solved, why one should believe that barber must be shaved. The answer is that no body shaves the barber …….very simple.

OR barber gets another barber to get shaved….. also very simple

• 4 weeks later...

my question is does the barber shave everyone that doesn't shave themselves weather thay want to or not. i mean if some one wants to grow their beard out,then will he break into their houses when their asleep and shave them. if not, then who sais he has to shave at all. the barber can just grow his beard out and trim it now and then (which is not the same as shaving). am i right.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would of thought that with the question in hand, there can be a simpler explanation (although i am not sure it is plausible). you could say that if the barber does keep their promise, what doesn't stop a member of the public being able to shave the barber?! surely that fits the question nicely, if you think of paradoxes as questions...because you are trying to solve them really.

• 5 months later...

In a village, the barber shaves everyone who does not shave himself/herself, but no one else.

Who shaves the barber?

There is no absolute answer. Ok, so the barber will shave anyone that does not shave him or herself and will not shave anyone else, The barber can not shave himself as that would be someone who shaves themself. Anyone in the village that shaves or does not shave his or herself could shave the barber.The barber may not shave.

Edited by timmee73

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The paradox states "the barber shaves everyone who does not shave himself/herself, but no one else.", this means that another barber canot shave him as he would then be one of the people not shaving himself and the barber in question can not shave himself as he can only shave people who do not shave themselves.  This leaves one logical conclusion, the barber does not shave.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The clue is in the commas, they separate the sentence into... There was a barber in a village (who promised to shave everybody) who does not shave himself. So he simply says I'll shave everyone but myself because I don't shave.

Edited by GB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...