BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Hotel

rookie1ja

Small Hotel - Back to the Logic Puzzles

13 people came into a hotel with 12 rooms and each guest wanted his own room. The bellboy solved this problem.

He asked the thirteenth guest to wait a little with the first guest in room number 1. So in the first room there were two people. The bellboy took the third guest to room number 2, the fourth to number 3, ..., and the twelfth guest to room number 11. Then he returned to room number 1 and took the thirteenth guest to room number 12, still vacant.

How can everybody have his own room?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Hotel - solution

Of course, it is impossible. Into the second room should have gone the 2nd guest, because the 13th guest was waiting in room number 1.

13 men came into a hotel with 12 rooms and everybody wanted his own room. The bellboy solved this problem.

He asked the thirteenth guest to wait a moment with the first guest in room number 1. So in the first room there were two people. The bellboy took the third guest to room number 2, the fourth to number 3, ... and the twelfth guest to room number 11. Then he returned to room number 1 and took the thirteenth guest to empty room number 12.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AHHHHH, Took me a minute... But I got it.. Your counting the 13th guest twice. Both as one of the first 2 guests in room 1, AND the 13th guest. Impossible. Gotcha..lol Sucks to be the Un-lucky number 13 in this situation, huh??

• 2 weeks later...

Why should the easy answer be the quickest one? I spent one minute trying to figure out why would the guys fit in the rooms, but couldn't figure it out, and then discovered the missing guest.

It's even more difficult for a non-native speaker.

• 3 weeks later...

The bell boy didn't really solve the puzzle, he just missed out guest 2 and left him/her roomless. (unless they agreed to time-share).

Of course if the puzzle had said there were a Baker's dozen rooms, then each guest would have got a room each as a Baker's dozen is actually 13 and not 12.

In actual fact the puzzle is nonsensical as you may as well say one hundred guests arrived and there were only two rooms, how would each guest have their own room. The answer would obviously be they couldn't.

If there were 13 people that walked in to the hotel and all 13 of them wanted their own room and there were only 12 rooms available and you didn't forget to put the 2nd guest into a room, it would not be possible. But, when you look at how the riddle is stated: "everbody wanted his own room". I am assuming that "everybody" means everbody that wanted a room or everybody that was a male. Maybe the 2nd person was the bellboy or someone other than a guest that did not want a room at all. Or maybe the 2nd person was a guest that already had a room. If 2 or more of the thirteen people were females, you could have packed them all into one room, since only the males wanted their own rooms.

someguy101, your solution is incorrect because the word "everybody" is a singular noun with no gender, and when you talk about a person without knowing his or her gender, you would use either "his or hers" or simply "his."

It's proper English.

Using "its" would mean its inhuman, and using "their" would mean that it belonged to more than one person.

I think a logical solution is that the bellboy found a solution by simply convincing person #2, who was never placed in a room, and someone else to share a room.

After placing everyone else in a room, he would then guide #2 to the room in which the other who agreed was staying.

I thought the idea of logic jokes was finding a hard to see solution, not being unable to solve them.

I could make up a hundred jokes with no answer in about 25 seconds.

I think the bellboy should just pull out a cot or something for the 13th guest and let him stay in the office for reduced price or free. Nobody else will be able to stay there anyway so, he can put up a "no vacancy" sign and he should remain relatively undisturbed.

Or maybe he just directed him to another hotel with a vacancy. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course it was possible. The hotel room was the most unique hotel in the world with room number 0. So guest number 1 occupies room 0, guest number 2 occupies room number 1 and so on and so fourth.

good one hunee9! that would be two ppl...

guest #2 was the baby, so guess #3 (the pregnant mother) went into room 2 (and obviously so did her baby).

or, the bellboy was bringing in their luggage from the car, and it was late and his shift was almost over, and he was thinking about his own cozy room at home that he shared with his brother, but he wanted his own room.

since the bellboy was considered "guest 13" he put guest 2 in the last room and then went back to his own home ;D

lol i know the riddle's supposed to be an impossible "paradox with a catch" in that he counts the thirteenth person as the second person, but i was having some fun :D

• 1 month later...

exorbitantego:

someguy101 is correct. It is no longer accepted that a male pronoun be non-gender bias. It was part of the woman's movement that affected Standard English Grammar. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Hotel - Back to the Logic Puzzles

13 men came into a hotel with 12 rooms and everybody wanted his own room. The bellboy solved this problem.

He asked the thirteenth guest to wait a moment with the first guest in room number 1. So in the first room there were two people. The bellboy took the third guest to room number 2, the fourth to number 3, ... and the twelfth guest to room number 11. Then he returned to room number 1 and took the thirteenth guest to empty room number 12.

The thirteen men are not 13 guests, because the second was the bellboy. Why else would he omit giving the second guest a room?

BoilingOil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Where is guest number two?

Before I read the solution (which was a total cop-out) I came up with a few things:

Guest number 1 was a pregnant woman and "guest number 2" was her unborn child.

One of the "guests" was a mule, horse, donkey, or etc. and and "roomed" in a stable outside.

Guest number 2 was led to a bar and got very drunk, conveniently passing out.

The bell boy led guest number two "to his room," murdering him on the way and stashing him in a disused service elevator. (A room just for him!)

... I didn't really expect any of those to be the answer, but they all turned out to be a lot better than the actual solution.