BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

How fast do you have to be driving your Porsche before you can honestly say to the cop, "That red light looked green to me!"

Neither you or the cop is colorblind.

"Red" is defined as light with a wavelength of 650 nanometers, and "green" is defined as light with a wavelength of 510 nanometers. ;)

13 answers to this question

after looking into it more, it looks like it might be a lot less than I originally thought. Maybe around .30c. making somewhere around 200 million miles per hour? Or maybe I messed up some calculation

Edited for an error

Edited by Noct

the windshield is tinted green

Not quite. You can actually change how things look according to your speed. Much like when you're sitting in a racing arena, you hear the cars drive by you and as they do you actually hear them at a high pitch then it goes down. But if you ask the driver, the sound is the same the whole way. This is due to the Doppler effect. This same effect also holds true for light. If things are moving away from you then they are "red shifted", or they appear more red then they actually are. If things are moving towards you (or you towards them) they get shifted towards the higher end of the spectrum.