mysterious relationships

Question

Posted · Report post

Lajwanti of village Lajpur was a young, demure, and lively woman. Sarita, her neighbor, asked her once, on seeing her with a gentleman, "What is your relationship with the gentleman who accompanied you?"

Lajwanti replied, "I will neither tell you his name nor my relations with him. I will, however, reveal that his mother-in-law and my mother-in-law are mother and daughter." How were these two related to each other?

4 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

he is her father-in-law

Posted · Report post

First I thought that she was with her sister-in-law's son's wife. However, that would have been if order didn't matter. Upon re-reading it, I am going to have to go with she is with her father-in-law.

Posted · Report post

I think I finally see where the answer comes from, but couldn't it also be interpreted that Lajwanti's mother in law is a sibling of the gentlemen's wife, thereby making the gentlemen an uncle-in-law toward Lajwanti (if that makes sense)?

I've thought about this one for awhile, so I might just be over-thinking it.

Posted · Report post

post-53485-0-32434200-1370317847_thumb.p

here is a poorly drawn sketch of what i feel the problem means. I would be interested in the family tree of what you mean. It is possible, but i would like the visual to help it make sense.