BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Photograph

rookie1ja

Photograph - Back to the Logic Puzzles

I am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of the man in the photo is the son of my father?

Or as the classic riddle goes:

Brothers and sisters, I have none

but this man's father is my father's son.

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Photograph - solution

I am looking at my son.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Admin...your solution is incorrect. The man is looking at himself. The man in the photo is his father's son, with no brothers or sisters, the only son the man would have, is the one looking at the picture!

Admin...your solution is incorrect. The man is looking at himself. The man in the photo is his father's son, with no brothers or sisters, the only son the man would have, is the one looking at the picture!

Check this:

"Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of that man on the photo is the son of my father?"

that means

"Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of that man on the photo is me?"

that means

"I am the father of that man on the photo"

that means

"There is my son on the photo"

• 3 weeks later...

The answer is the man's son....

I am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of that man on the photo is the son of my father?

Everyone who said that admin is wrong is reading over the part where is says "the father of that man in the picture..." "Is the son of my father." You cannot be your own father, hence it is the son of the man who has no brothers or sisters.

Another way to explain... You are the only child to your father, so if the father to the person in the picture is the son of your father, then the person in the picture must be your child.

Hope that makes sense!

The answer is the man's son....

I am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of that man on the photo is the son of my father?

Everyone who said that admin is wrong is reading over the part where is says "the father of that man in the picture..." "Is the son of my father." You cannot be your own father, hence it is the son of the man who has no brothers or sisters.

Another way to explain... You are the only child to your father, so if the father to the person in the picture is the son of your father, then the person in the picture must be your child.

Hope that makes sense!

You know at first I agreed with admin but no one accept for aurae went far enough into it. The solution indeed points out to himself, but not to the person in the pictue. The father of the person in the picture is the son of my father. Go backwards; I am the son of my father, hence being the father of the person in the picture, my son. The part that is getting you is the first part "The father of that man on the photo" because the question never says anything about the person in the picture other than that he has a father. You guys are only answering who the father of the person in the photo is, which is not what the question is asking. Make sense?

I think Banebrain mis-read the question. It specifically says ' am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at'.

The easiest way is work in reverse. With no brothers or sisters the ' Son of My Father' has to be Himself. but he himself is the father of the man in the picture. so the man in the picture has to be his own son.

I think Banebrain mis-read the question. It specifically says ' am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at'.

The easiest way is work in reverse. With no brothers or sisters the ' Son of My Father' has to be Himself. but he himself is the father of the man in the picture. so the man in the picture has to be his own son.

Actually if you read my response again I am not denying that it is the son, I am agreeing. Everyone else (besides a few) said it must be himself, but I said; as you said to go backwards; it leads to his son. Sorry if the wording mislead you.

• 2 weeks later...
The "Father" in this example must be in a religious context. Therefore, the individual maybe looking at a picture of Christ.

doubt ti. abviously he is lookin at a picture of himself. OR A CONJOINED TWIN!

OR A CLONE !!!!!

he is saying " son of my father" meaning he has a son, not that he is a father , but that he fatherd a son get it, so the person in the picture is his son.

the admin would be veiwing his son, if the father of the man in the photo was his fathers son it would be him...he is the father of the man in the photo...making it his son

1. This is an unusual wording of a classic puzzle. I've always heard it as follows:

(In reference to the photograph) "Brothers and sisters, I have none- but this man's father is my father's son"

2. This is a very easy puzzle, and everyone who is convinced that he is looking at himself need to re-read the clue and break it down.

starting with:

"father of that man on the photo is the son of my father"

"son of my father" = me (the speaker), since there are no siblings

thus:

"father of that man is me" ->

"I am that man's father" ->

"That man is my son"

and there is your definitive solution, as there are no other possible solutions without siblings in the scenario.

he is saying " son of my father" meaning he has a son, not that he is a father , but that he fatherd a son get it, so the person in the picture is his son.

Huh? That doesn't even make sense. "son of my father" means that the speaker's father has a son- the speaker. It in no way implies that the speaker has a son of his own.

I don't know how to feel about this but what if he is looking at a step-son? Same father different mothers, it wouldn't be a true brother. So the someone I think is the step-brother of who ever is narrorating! I wonder why no one else mentioned this?

I don't know how to feel about this but what if he is looking at a step-son? Same father different mothers, it wouldn't be a true brother. So the someone I think is the step-brother of who ever is narrorating! I wonder why no one else mentioned this?

Well firstly, a step-son isn't a true relative. If I marry a woman with children who are not my own, I am their stepfather and they are my stepchildren, but we are not related in anyway. Thus that cannot be a possible solution for this riddle.

Regarding your other possibility (same father, different mothers), I think what you are trying to say is "half-brother". Two men can be half-brothers if they share only one common parent. But either you are someone's parent, or you are not. There is no such thing as half-parents or half-children. Only half-siblings.

How does this relate to the puzzle? You mentioned two possibilities: either a step-son, or a step-brother. We've already eliminated the step-son possibility. Let's take a look at the half-brother option, shall we?

Photograph - I am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of that man on the photo is the son of my father?

Breaking it down a bit, and changing the order (but not the logic), we have:

1. I am looking at a man's picture. Call him A.

2. A's father is the son of my father.

3. I don't have any brothers or sisters.

4. Who is A?

As far as the real solution goes, if we ignore the half-brother supposition for a moment:

Since #3 states I have no brothers or sisters, then "the son of my father" from #2 can only be me.

Based on that, #2 states A's father is me. Therefore, A must be my son.

Getting back to your suggestion: point #3 pretty much eliminates your half-brother option. If I don't have any brothers or sisters, I cannot have half-brothers, since they would count. But let us assume that they don't count as "true brothers", as you are suggesting, and revisit the previous solution:

Since #3 states I have no brothers or sisters, then "the son of my father" can either be me, or my half-brother (call him B.).

Based on that, #2 states A's father is either me or B. Therefore, A must be either my son, or B's son. If he is B's son, and half-brothers don't count as relatives, then neither do their children, and thus A is no relation to me.

Since we are given no other information, the riddle remains unsolved with 2 possible solutions (A is either my son, or is the son of my half-brother and thus no relation to me). Common sense dictates that all the riddles posted here must have one and only one logical solution. Since that is not the case with your suggestion, then your suggestion that half-brothers don't count cannot be a logical possibility.

However, it wasn't a bad guess... at least you're thinking outside the box. Keep trying.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of that man on the photo is the son of my father?--------

he's looking at himself people....he doesnt have sibblings.....think please.....

• Downvote 1