BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers
Sign in to follow this  
itachi-san

Question

There are some similar versions of this puzzle on this forum, but none that I could find really replicate it. I figure I'll give this one a try, since I think it's pretty cool.

Fiji and Samoa are two islands in the South Pacific. Fiji is about 970 kilometers (600 miles) west of Samoa. A small airplane can fly this distance in two hours.

When will you arrive in Fiji if you leave Samoa on a small airplane on Tuesday night at 11:30 PM?

And what if you went from Fiji to Samoa leaving at 11:30 AM on a Tuesday?

8 answers to this question

There are some similar versions of this puzzle on this forum, but none that I could find really replicate it. I figure I'll give this one a try, since I think it's pretty cool.

Fiji and Samoa are two islands in the South Pacific. Fiji is about 970 kilometers (600 miles) west of Samoa. A small airplane can fly this distance in two hours.

When will you arrive in Fiji if you leave Samoa on a small airplane on Tuesday night at 11:30 PM?

You're going to arrive at 10:30pm on Mon? Then going the other way, you'd be there 2:30pm on Wed? I'm not sure.

Leaving Samoa at 11:30 PM Tuesday I will arive in Fiji on Wednesday at 12:30 AM

Leaving Fiji at 11:30 AM Tuesday I will arive in Samoa on Monday at 2:30 PM

Oops

Leaving Samoa at 11:30 PM Tuesday I will arive in Fiji on Thursday at 12:30 AM

Oops

Leaving Samoa at 11:30 PM Tuesday I will arive in Fiji on Thursday at 12:30 AM

You got it redsnuff! Nice! The International Dateline is set between these two island groups so it makes for some confusion.