BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

What is the man's password?

Question

A man goes to work one day to discover that he could not log on to his computer. His password won't work. Then he remembers that the passwords are reset every month for security reasons. So he goes to his boss's office and had this conversation:

Man: "Hey, boss, my password is out of date."

Boss: "Yes. The password is different, but if you listen carefully you can figure out the new password. It has the

same number of letters as your old one, but only 4 of the letters are the same."

Man: "Thanks, boss!"

The man then goes to his computer and logs on successfully. Question: What is his new password, and what was the old one?

Look carefully at the conversation

Different (the boss said "The password is different")

OutOfDate (the man said "My password is out of date")

12 answers to this question

Based on the above, here's an even harder one:

same scenario as above.

Man: "Hey, boss, my password is out of date."

Boss: "Your password is not out of date.."

Man: "Thanks, boss!"

The man then goes to his computer and logs on successfully. Question: What is his new password, and what was the old one?

Edited by RHITMAN07

"notoutofdate"?

Edit: old one was "outofdate"

Man tells his boss his password is out of date i.e has expired.

Boss tells him his password is out of date i.e his current (new) password is "outofdate".

We cannot determine what the old password was.

The old password "outofdate" - 9 letters long- 4 letters in common are t, f, d, e

New password "different" - 9 letters long - 4 letters in common are t, f, d, e

This is my final answer

Edited by lenzvlt

old password out of date new password different

Shriyam, honey, you have to learn to use the spoiler when answering riddles! Some folks prefer to try to answer them without peeking at others answers. By typing your answers out in the open, it makes it impossible not to see them! If you just click on the white capital S with the blue background, it will bring up a box where you can enter your answers and have them available for those who wish to look at them and hidden from those who don't!

Please try it next time...I think you will find it easy enough to use every time! Thanx!

P.S. That goes for lenzvlt and any other newbies who are finding it difficult to work the SPOILER BUTTON! Just typing

at the beginning doesn't do it either!

Edited by princecharmthings

Unfortunately,

"out of date" doesn't equal to "outofdate",

assuming this is Linux we are talking about because Windows doesn't allow spaces in passwords, a space " " itself has an ASCI value of 32.

nice one!

I believe there is another logical solution but of course the intended one is more satisfying

since this password revolves around dates and they change each month yet 4 stay the same, it is logical to assume that the password is the first letter of each number in the date. and since 4 stay the same we can assume that the current month is not january since the year would have changed

i.e. old password set in january 2011 would be jtzoo or otzoo

new password set in february 2011 would be ftzoo or ttzoo

it can't be more complicated like 02/01/2011 since more than 4 letters would stay the same