BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Of course, since this is my introduction you know this is my very first time here... I am not exactly sure just how this works yet but I stumbled across this site via the optical illusion gadget, so I decided to further explore. I am tired of the pointless chatter every other site has because they typically just gossip- something I could care less about. Being that I am more into personal growth especially when it comes to further developing my memory, my ability to resolve problems more quickly, learn new things, and other mental stimulation this is where I belong.

Now can any of you tell me:

In algebraic expressions what determines which number takes the place of letters- for example C=0- why? :duh:

How about A,B,D,F,G, etc? How do I determine their numbers?

Do they ALWAYS have the same numerical values?

If not, how do I figure out which value to use? Is there a set method to arrive at the answer?

Once I master this I am sure every thing else will follow easily!!!! :help:

2 answers to this question

Welcome to BrainDen! As for your question, in algebra, those letters are variables. They don't have a specific value assigned to them (except for lowercase e which is 2.718. . .). If there is an equal sign, you can probably determine what number the letter is equal to but that would be only for that one situation. Can you give an example of what kind of problem you are asking about?

Hello!

As for algebra, as Thalia said, numbers are variables. The only thing: In any algebraic expression/equation, one letter cannot equal the other. If A=5, O cannot be 5. For example:

2x + 5 = 19

x can be anything; however, from the problem, you could figure it out. Basically letters are equal to numbers in a certain equation. In equation 1, A could equal 5, but in another, A can equal 3. Was this helpful or did I confuse you more? Give a certain problem, so we can help you out.