BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hi there

I recently took IQ test and scored 144. I am 14 1/2 yrs old.

As to the IQ score I have known that I am grouped under genius, but I am not experiencing "supermemory" or I can't do mental maths :duh: . So I wanted to raise my IQ further. What things should I do to raise my IQ? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Research shows that such things as learning an instrument help your memory, hand-eye coordination and increase intelligence. Switching your diet to have 7 fruits and vegetables a day can help you focus better. While a lot of these things don't directly increase your IQ, they help with other important things. I think one of the best IQ raisers is this site, because there is so much logical thinking to do.

Also remember that often IQ tests test how much you think like the person who made the test as opposed to how well you think.

To get a good idea of your real IQ you must take many test made by many differrent people.

Just an example: I forget if it was WW1 or WW2 but the US army made an IQ test for illiterates. It was a visual test where you had to complete the pictures. One of the questions showed a crab. Everyone who lived near the ocean got it wrong. Seems the guy who made the test didnt realize crabs have 8 legs so he drew a crab with 3 legs on 1 side. Those who lived near the ocean added a 4th leg to the 3 and 4 more on the other side. simplistic and obvious error but often there is more than 1 solution to a problem.

But in general doing logic puzzles always helps

First of all I don't believe in the IQ tests. If you already got a 144 you already know you're quite smart, why does the IQ even matter? Someone else made it up and we still can't figure out what intelligence really is or what it means, so don't stress too hard about it. There are also different types of intelligence. But you might want to look into doing mental math and "chain memory" exercises, as well as (as others have mentioned) logic problems on this site :P if you're really serious there are drugs called nootropics which supposedly improve memory but i don't know how valid or safe they are and I've never personally tried one. Ones that are more common and probably safe are the B vitamins. Ones that are more experimental but possibly valid are the -racetams, for example, piracetam. But don't take my word on it and it's probably bad in the long run. Then there's amphetamines which are DEFINITELY bad in the long run.

But don't take my word on it and it's probably bad in the long run. Then there's amphetamines which are DEFINITELY bad in the long run.

Not to mention slightly illegal in the short run... :rolleyes: I would hesitate to put anything in my body until I have a good idea how it's going to affect me.

I do agree that IQ tests are largely subjective and intelligence is pretty hard to define. As people have said, logic puzzles and a lot of the riddles on this site are a good way to stimulate your mind and they help you to develop reasoning and problem solving skills. Those are all good ways to improve your "IQ."