BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

akaslickster

Question

This topic came to my head about the fact that people generally avoid the dental office. Please feel free to vote, and share your own opinion upon this issue. I would love perfect teeth as much as everyone. This poll is to see

how favorable the dentist thieves are making out.dry.gif Everyone is welcome to opine upon this topic. Feel free to add your input.biggrin.gif

6 answers to this question

My dentist saved 5 of my front teeth. I was 15, and got into an accident... Was riding on my bike, when I had to brake really hard and fast. I flipped over and landed on my face. seven teeth were hit severely. One was suddenly 10mm behind the rest of my teeth. Two were knocked out. The dentist and orthodontist worked together, and managed to save five, all of the ones that were not knocked out. Then the dentist made two artificial teeth, so my teeth look normal now. If I hadn't had braces, I would probably have lost more teeth.

Not all dentist experiences have to be bad ;) (though at the time I really didn't see it this way, haha :P)

Lets look at the types of costs that they have.

1) Compared to regular doctors, the malpractice insurance rates for an orthodontist are much lower. The chances of making an irreversible mistake are slim-to-none (I mean, they move teeth a fraction of a millimeter per visit... where's the risk?). And as such is reflected in the lower rates that they pay. *This yields lower costs*

2) They do have to typically establish their own practices, so there's less cost to share with other orthodontists on the business end of it. So it's more expensive than many other doctors. *This yields higher costs*

3) Often tooth work is considered elective, so often insurance does not cover dental under basic packages. This means that business for them is slower than other healthcare professions. *This yields lower clientele, which is comparable to higher costs*

4) Dentist equipment is pretty unique and expensive. As stated in #3, tooth work is typically considered elective, and therefore not emergency. This means that the equipment is likely not to be used very often and is payed off much slower than other equipment, and the offices are private, so the equipment is not going to be subsidized by the state. *This yields higher costs*

5) Dentist must be at the highest end of the performance pyramid to get into dentist school. With so many other options to make good money, and to make 'a bigger difference in the world' that fall below that on the requirements scale, dentists must make great money IF there are going to be any dentists! What's the incentive for someone to become a dentist if it's harder to be a dentist than another health-care professional, AND you're going to get paid less? *In the real life perspective (not that last hypothetical) This yields higher opportunity costs*

So do they make out like bandits? Probably. But are they thieves for doing so? I don't think so.

My wife and I both work, and we both get very good dental insurance. You can never have too much.

I have had 3 oral surgeries in the past 3 years. The first time we only had my wifes insurance. The surgery cost $900 after the insurance paid its portion. The other two times I had the same surgery and with both insurances there is no out-of-pocket expense only the cost of premiums. Granted, the additional cost in premiums is $780, but considering I have another surgery coming up in a few months and the coverage is for us and our children it saves us money.