BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

What is the length California's coastline?

You have a ten foot pole, a yardstick, a ruler, and an inch long piece of string at your disposal.

Walk to the nearest person with an Iphone, and hence access to the internet. Tell them, "I'll give you this nice ten foot pole, a yardstick, a ruler, and an inch long piece of string if you look up the length of california's coast line for me."

If that doesn't motivate the person to do it, tell them, "Look up the length of california's coast line for me, or I'll whack you with this 10 foot pole."

Hi futballa16, and welcome to the den.;)

Some perspective on this place:

Several of our denizens live so far outside the box they have to go towards town to hunt. ^_^

On reflection, maybe a lot of us do.

I nearly suggested going to the top of the building and tying the string to the barometer.

But I realized that might add to the confusion, and one of my tasks here is to reduce it.

It's all in good fun; I'm intrigued to hear your answer - should no one get it.

- bn

Walk to the nearest person with an Iphone, and hence access to the internet. Tell them, "I'll give you this nice ten foot pole, a yardstick, a ruler, and an inch long piece of string if you look up the length of california's coast line for me."

If that doesn't motivate the person to do it, tell them, "Look up the length of california's coast line for me, or I'll whack you with this 10 foot pole."

:)

..simply asking the ten foot pole, perhaps he/she knows?

Fly to California. Drive to the coast, and head to the state border. Take 10 steps. Measure the distance between your steps on average, using the yard stick. Walk the coastline to the other border, keeping track of the number of steps you took - use the pole as a walking stick as necessary. Multiply the number of steps you took by the average length of your step.

Edited by ogden_tbsa

Hi futballa16, and welcome to the den.;)

Some perspective on this place:

Several of our denizens live so far outside the box they have to go towards town to hunt. ^_^

On reflection, maybe a lot of us do.

I nearly suggested going to the top of the building and tying the string to the barometer.

But I realized that might add to the confusion, and one of my tasks here is to reduce it.

It's all in good fun; I'm intrigued to hear your answer - should no one get it.

- bn

This topic may be a bit too outside the box...

This isn't just some plane, old answer.

Edited by futballa16

You have a ten foot pole, a yardstick, a ruler, and an inch long piece of string at your disposal.

"eight hundred forty" can be anagrammed from different letters taken from "You have a ten foot pole, a yardstick, a ruler, and an inch long piece of string at your disposal". That's the official length (in miles) of California's coastline.

"eight hundred forty" can be anagrammed from different letters taken from "You have a ten foot pole, a yardstick, a ruler, and an inch long piece of string at your disposal". That's the official length (in miles) of California's coastline.

Multiple sends are my service provider's fault. Sorry.

Edited by superprismatic

Multiple sends are my service provider's fault. Sorry.

Edited by superprismatic

I couldn't come up with anything, but kept looking at the phrase "at your disposal". I believe the only reason it's there is for the second d in hundred

You have a ten foot pole, a yardstick, a ruler, and an inch long piece of string at your disposal

so good he said it three times

even better is just:

a ten foot pole, a yardstick, a ruler, and an inch long piece of string

Can extract:

California's coastline eight undre forty long (missing an h/d in hundred)

with

tpoeakrannpec

left over

i'll leave it up to others to figure the rest out, i have to go home :)

Edited by tpaxatb

how about california's coastline is 22 letters long? including the ' and the space??it could be qualified as the length of the frase?(rest is just there to throw you off?

actual coastline is imposable to measure since it varies between low and high tide

Edited by eekafreak

Sure you can have gps if it helps, but like the map its not going to change the answer.

And this isn't a word problem, there are no coded meanings in my sentences. Although, my word choice in most of my responses and the title (besides the omitted 'of' from the original question, that was accidental) has been purposeful.

Edited by futballa16

Sure you can have gps if it helps, but like the map its not going to change the answer.

And this isn't a word problem, there are no coded meanings in my sentences. Although, my word choice in most of my responses and the title (besides the omitted 'of' from the original question, that was accidental) has been purposeful.

It seems too much of a coincidence that the letters in the words you chose can be rearranged to state "California's coastline is eight hundred forty [miles] long". If that's not the answer you're looking for, please enlighten me.

the gps comment was a reply to the post directly above it.

It seems too much of a coincidence that the letters in the words you chose can be rearranged to state "California's coastline is eight hundred forty [miles] long". If that's not the answer you're looking for, please enlighten me.

the gps comment was a reply to the post directly above it.

That arrangement of letters is purely coincidence, and an amazing coincidence.

Edited by futballa16