Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

You live in Killville. Can you stay alive?

Best Answer Writersblock , 10 October 2007 - 11:14 PM

Hmmm. This is an ambiguous question I think. I read it originally as surviving one encounter, but it can also be understood to be the "last man standing."

Spoiler for solution
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 arnel

arnel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hi marchawg and welcome to the Den.

Nice job. B))
Can you do this for an odd number of killers?

Spoiler for For odd no. of killers from machawg script

#62 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5732 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:09 AM

Spoiler for For odd no. of killers from machawg script

Spoiler for Another way to look at it.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#63 nima

nima

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

we have 19! state of meeting.a pacifist in 10^10 of these meets will die;but a killer will die just in 9! of these meets.10^10 is bigger than 9!.so if you be a pacifist you have a better chance to survive;)

#64 wireman

wireman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

killer
if your a pasavist then you can meet 9 out of the 19 people other than you and live
if your a killer then you can meet 10 out of the 19 people other that you and live

#65 aaronbcj

aaronbcj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

2 answers i have depending on what is meant by survival.
Spoiler for the meek will inherit the world

#66 aaronbcj

aaronbcj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:04 AM

I think it will be unfair and straight forward if we pit (11K && 10P) or (11K && 11P) or even (1K && 10/11P). A round will be missed (where 1 will sit out idle in 1st or 2nd round). If that is allowed, then hypothetically the last meeting [K,P,P] can always become [P,P] while K sits out and all 3 can play stalemate.

#67 Tsopi

Tsopi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

It doesn't matter.If you are a pacifist you have 50% chances of getting killed and 50 % of staying alive becouse there are only 2 metting chances in witch you can get evolved.Same with killers.

#68 wesley1230

wesley1230

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:29 AM

Basically, it's the odds of if you will meet a killer.

A pacifist could meet 10 killers or 9 pacifists

10/19

A killer could meet 9 killers or 10 pacifiests

9/19

I couldn't agree more, yes it is a 50/50 chance for the most part but u have to remember you are someone too and you will not kill ur self (hopefully) and there fore if u are a killer u have slightly a better chance of survial. there really is no better answer

#69 carlJ

carlJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

I think it's simple.
How long can the game go on? A finite time, and at the end, either; no one survives, or some number of pacifists survive.
From that alone, it's better to be a pacifist.

No killers can survive - why? Let's suppose a game where ALL the pacifists have met a killer at some point, they're all gone. Then we have K -K and they'll all go. No one left. On the other hand, a pacifist stands a small chance of not encountering a killer before all the killers are gone.

I've not looked at the probabilities in terms of the probability of a given killer/pacifist surviving n encounters, but this looks very similar to an urn problem I've seen earlier. abilities in terms of the probability of a given killer/pacifist surviving n encounters, but this looks very similar to an urn problem I've seen earlier.

#70 BusyMom

BusyMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:31 AM

I think it's simple.
How long can the game go on? A finite time, and at the end, either; no one survives, or some number of pacifists survive.
From that alone, it's better to be a pacifist.

No killers can survive - why? Let's suppose a game where ALL the pacifists have met a killer at some point, they're all gone. Then we have K -K and they'll all go. No one left. On the other hand, a pacifist stands a small chance of not encountering a killer before all the killers are gone.

I've not looked at the probabilities in terms of the probability of a given killer/pacifist surviving n encounters, but this looks very similar to an urn problem I've seen earlier. abilities in terms of the probability of a given killer/pacifist surviving n encounters, but this looks very similar to an urn problem I've seen earlier.

I agree, be a pacifist and lock yourself in your house and wait until the killing is finished ! Better than killing people only to be killed yourself. Don't you guys know the saying, " Who lives by the sword (gun) dies by the sword (gun)"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users