Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Heroes: Season 1

• Please log in to reply
576 replies to this topic

#551 Impervious

Impervious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2413 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:01 AM

Lol, nice! Actually, I already pegged you for Niki before that based on your stolid and fervent defense of GC to Hiro...;) In a lot of games where ppl aren't so forthcoming about their roles, behavior is a good indicator ;P.

except for my newbie baddie behavior :P

#552 Sinistral

Sinistral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:54 AM

Bb/Frost... not sure if you're aware of this, but under the current setup, Sylar has approximately a 31% chance of dying on Night 1 if Ted and Niki both choose to attack and targets are chosen randomly. That's not including Hiro's delayed kill, and assuming the saving roles act optimally and either save themselves or nobody at all.

You need the independent killer role with a specific target to be alive otherwise it changes the whole dynamic of the game. There's no reason for the heroes not to all come forward and claim their roles once Sylar is out of the picture. If Sylar is still in the game, heroes claiming roles will not only become a target for him, they narrow down the possibilities and make it easier for Sylar to find Claire.

Since each role is unique and we don't play with multiple or "vanilla" roles, it is very difficult for the Company(mafia) to remain undetected once the heroes come forward with all their roles. Sylar is the only thing that encourages them not to do this.

It's a great game idea and I had fun playing, but just thought you guys might want to take the above into consideration when working out the rules for the next one. :D

#553 Sinistral

Sinistral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:12 AM

Correction: 38% chance. Forgot to factor in the event of Sylar attacking and picking Peter and having his kill ability reflected back onto himself.

#554 akaslickster

akaslickster

SLICK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4852 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:08 AM

Bb/Frost... not sure if you're aware of this, but under the current setup, Sylar has approximately a 31% chance of dying on Night 1 if Ted and Niki both choose to attack and targets are chosen randomly. That's not including Hiro's delayed kill, and assuming the saving roles act optimally and either save themselves or nobody at all.

You need the independent killer role with a specific target to be alive otherwise it changes the whole dynamic of the game. There's no reason for the heroes not to all come forward and claim their roles once Sylar is out of the picture. If Sylar is still in the game, heroes claiming roles will not only become a target for him, they narrow down the possibilities and make it easier for Sylar to find Claire.

Since each role is unique and we don't play with multiple or "vanilla" roles, it is very difficult for the Company(mafia) to remain undetected once the heroes come forward with all their roles. Sylar is the only thing that encourages them not to do this.

It's a great game idea and I had fun playing, but just thought you guys might want to take the above into consideration when working out the rules for the next one. :D

Plus, how in the heck can a hero get a double shot????? Plus everyone should have been logged in as anonymously to avoid any spying of profile instances. :excl:
Posted ImageThe place where peace begins is within oneself. by Slick

#555 Brandonb

Brandonb

The Accused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3004 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:10 PM

Well, it's highly unlikely that either Niki or Ted or both will act on the first night. It would really be a bad move on their parts. (Same with Hiro, but it isn't so bad. As we can see, Hiro never got to make a kill because of his action on the first night. So it's really not a great idea for him to act on night 1)

That said... yeah, we figured that it may go down hill quickly for the company as soon as the first night was over. Not just b/c Sylar died, but because both Sylar and the Company's kills were botched on night one. Frankly, Peter and the Company should be Sylar's main worry on night one. I believe we have come up with an acceptable solution for this. For season 1.1- Once in the game, Sylar may take off for the night and will not be able to be killed, in exchange he will not be able to use any offensive or defensive abilities.

All in all, the odds are very much in Sylar's favor. Since Niki and Ted will doubtfully act on night one, and assuming that hiro does, there would be a 20something % chance of him dying on night one. However, he has the same odds of killing a healer role on night 1 and getting the ability to save himself every night from there on in addition to his normal kill.

Also, about the people coming out with their roles. This is not be a problem in Season 2. Matt's Dad will surely take care of that ;) . However, Season 1.1 doesn't offer anything to prevent this from happening. It shouldn't be a big deal though, because like I said, it will be tweaked. The Heroes will not be quite as strong, and the lynch will also be tweaked. (I don't want to give anything away).

Thank you for your observations though. They are very helpful and we will consider implementing something similar to the 'Matt's Dad' idea for 1.1 if we can make it fit. Season 1.1 will be much more balanced, and I hope to see you in the game :D

#556 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

Oh and PT I was looking through and found the HUGE hint you gave when you were telling Y-San that Itachi made a call for his brother with the ;) face.

I also liked my huge "under the radar" drop. Now I'll have to examine every nuance of each post picking out hints and codes much like Russell Crowe's character in "A Beautiful Mind". :blink:

Correction: 38% chance. Forgot to factor in the event of Sylar attacking and picking Peter and having his kill ability reflected back onto himself.

Does that include random saving roles on the first night as well. I know i just picked a random person who could have easily been Sylar. I saved Niki that first night, but it was a random pick none the less.

#557 grey cells

grey cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2807 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

Great ending Frost! :D But the heroes winning was much easier after Sylar died. Pity Itachi targeted Slick the first night. :P

#558 Sinistral

Sinistral

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:21 PM

I also liked my huge "under the radar" drop. Now I'll have to examine every nuance of each post picking out hints and codes much like Russell Crowe's character in "A Beautiful Mind". :blink:

Yeah that was a nice one. If you do end up looking for codes... let me know if you find anything.

Does that include random saving roles on the first night as well. I know i just picked a random person who could have easily been Sylar. I saved Niki that first night, but it was a random pick none the less.

No, it was assuming that the saving roles acted optimally and saved themselves on Night 1, since the killers are choosing randomly you're just as likely to be chosen, and by saving yourself you're guaranteed to be saving an innocent and not risk the chance of saving a baddie.

Well, it's highly unlikely that either Niki or Ted or both will act on the first night. It would really be a bad move on their parts. (Same with Hiro, but it isn't so bad. As we can see, Hiro never got to make a kill because of his action on the first night. So it's really not a great idea for him to act on night 1)

I agree that Niki and Ted attacking blindly on night one is a bad move, but I disagree on it being highly unlikely. I was very impressed with the level of play in this game, and very surprised when Ted and Niki did not attack on Night 1. If you look back at previous mafia games, the Ninja/Seven/SWAT or whatever innocent-sided killing role there was has taken action at the first possible chance every time. If you look at the odds in this Heroes game, because both Claire and Ted can't be killed right away, the odds are actually slightly better in this game compared to previous mafias, though it is still more likely that you do harm rather than good. I give a lot of credit to Y-san and GC for being smart and not attacking.

However, if you take into consideration Sylar's ability to grow in power and gain a saving ability, simple probability may no longer be enough to calculate the risk vs reward of attacking night 1. It may actually be more beneficial to the heroes to kill a couple of their own for the chance at killing Sylar on Night 1 before he gains any powers. How do we weigh the killing of Sylar vs killing one of your own... I'll have to analyze this further.

I really like the sound of the "Matt's Dad" idea. :D Nice work guys!

Edited by Sinistral, 15 October 2008 - 03:22 PM.

#559 Cherry Lane

Cherry Lane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:33 PM

Also, about the people coming out with their roles. This is not be a problem in Season 2. Matt's Dad will surely take care of that ;) . However, Season 1.1 doesn't offer anything to prevent this from happening. It shouldn't be a big deal though, because like I said, it will be tweaked. The Heroes will not be quite as strong, and the lynch will also be tweaked. (I don't want to give anything away).

Thank you for your observations though. They are very helpful and we will consider implementing something similar to the 'Matt's Dad' idea for 1.1 if we can make it fit. Season 1.1 will be much more balanced, and I hope to see you in the game :D

Just had an idea for a season 1.1 modification: Molly
She was under control ofthe Company for much of season 1, so instead of having her be a Hero, she could be part of the Company. And if she knows both player and role, she can "find" a player anywhere - nullifying any saving roles (ok, that last part might be a bit of a stretch, but I think it could work).

#560 Prince_Marth85

Prince_Marth85

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:05 PM

Just had an idea for a season 1.1 modification: Molly
She was under control ofthe Company for much of season 1, so instead of having her be a Hero, she could be part of the Company. And if she knows both player and role, she can "find" a player anywhere - nullifying any saving roles (ok, that last part might be a bit of a stretch, but I think it could work).

She was??? I've been watching Season 1 and I've only seen her a couple times after Parkman found her and I haven't even seen her use her power at all yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users