BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

akaslickster

Question

15 answers to this question

have been a chauffeur, including diplomatic. For personal/everyday conditions - there is only one way to drive.... Calm, with plenty of distance it's less stressful.. and assume every blind spot is a hazard and be on the lookout for children in back/side streets, the blighters pop out from everywhere.

Aggression does not work on the race track, why would it work off it!

Why is it called road rage - I have no truck with the road itself! :)

I think LIS hit the main point on the head. Calm is key, but I would also add alertness to that as essential. Some drivers (especially older ones) are calm and defensive, in the sense that they allow lots of space, signal, etc., etc., but they're still inattentive. They don't notice that person about to run the red light. As a result, those drivers are almost never at fault, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're better drivers. Following guidelines about distance, speed, and all that is great, but I'd be much more comfortable riding with someone who was a little on the aggressive side but focused on driving rather than with someone who is coasting along on autopilot.

Since your topic asks how I drive, I'd have to admit that I'm often pressed for time and do try to squeeze a few precious minutes out of my commute, but I try not to ever cut anyone off, block lanes, fail to check my blind spots, or do any of the things that really bug me about the driving of others. And although I never really get mad, I will get a bit impatient at times, and I sometimes have to remind myself to just chill. And, somewhat hypocritically, I will occasionally zone out while listening to the radio and not give driving my full attention. That's how I got in my last accident. It was technically the other guys fault for T-boning me at an uncontrolled intersection, but it was stupid of me not to be more cautious, and I certainly should have avoided it.

Some drivers (especially older ones) are calm and defensive, in the sense that they allow lots of space, signal, etc., etc., but they're still inattentive. They don't notice that person about to run the red light. As a result, those drivers are almost never at fault, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're better drivers. Following guidelines about distance, speed, and all that is great, but I'd be much more comfortable riding with someone who was a little on the aggressive side but focused on driving rather than with someone who is coasting along on autopilot

Can we make that much older as I am a few years ahead, but I don't have roman numerals on my friving licience!

Beaware of those fossils who can barely get in and out of their vehicle!!!

I'd have to admit that I'm often pressed for time and do try to squeeze a few precious minutes out of my commute, but I try not to ever cut anyone off, block lanes, fail to check my blind spots, or do any of the things that really bug me about the driving of others. And although I never really get mad, I will get a bit impatient at times, and I sometimes have to remind myself to just chill. And, somewhat hypocritically, I will occasionally zone out while listening to the radio and not give driving my full attention...
(getting old, listening to classic music too)The two above in bold may have something to do with the one below!!

That's how I got in my last accident. It was technically the other guys fault for T-boning me at an uncontrolled intersection, but it was stupid of me not to be more cautious, and I certainly should have avoided it. -
So Definitely getting old, ambling down the road...

Your last! - glad to hear that, you are free from future accidents I see must have got your youth back- well done!

Which reminds me of a Turkish friend who has poor middle distant sight, said .....

"when you can't see the truck ahead you can not foresee the future"

I'll admit, I am what you would call an aggressive driver. Though I am fully attentive when I am driving, I do not talk on my phone in traffic, I do not hold conversations with passengers in traffic, I don't listen to the radio in traffic. I constantly concentrate on the traffic and driving patterns of those around me and well ahead of me so that I may devise the best way to pass them if they are not going at least the speed limit. I don't drive more than 5mph over the speed limit, so there should usually be no need for me to pass people that drive a reasonable speed. Though I will also admit... I have gone to pass cars that were going 5-10mph under the speed limit. I am patient when passing, but if traffic begins to approach head-on... lets just say I have run a few cars off the road who have sped up to prevent me from passing them... I will not endanger my own life because the person I am passing wants to force me to play chicken with someone else.

I believe that attentiveness, and courtesy are the keys to driving. I do my best to never cause other drivers to hit their brakes, and I always allow people to pass me if they want to go faster. It's the most efficient and safest way to get from point A to B. Too bad for me, I live in a retirement area where half of the people on the road don't remember what the speed limit is... or even where they are. :P So it often takes me (truly, honestly) 15minutes to get to the grocery store that is 3miles up the road.

Edited by Brandonb

I am told the only way to drive on the Paris ring road (periphique) which is something like six lanes and if you use the exit side you never get anywhere, so you have to drive liked you are glued bumper-bumper in the faster lanes - It's a hell of a stressful way to drive! Only been on it twice and it's an absolute nightmare. Friends of ours have moved there and they say they now drive this way cos it works - I'll give it a miss.

The french also overtake on fast routes when there is oncoming traffic they just push in, which seems to be accepted - more scary than the periphique method!

If you had asked me this question a few years ago I would have definitely said aggressive. Yes I am older now, but I also have 14 and 15 year old daughters who will be driving within the next 2 years. Now I drive more cautious. My insurance company sent me a booklet on getting teens ready to drive, and I never thought of some of the things they came up with. With my daughters in the car, I realize I have to be a really safe driver as an example to them, because I don't want them driving crazy when they get in the car the first time by themselves. Over the last couple of years in my area, we/ve had quite a few teenagers in accidents or killed because they were driving recklessly and it scares me to think my girls will be out on the roads and not knowing how to drive safe unless they learn it from me.

I am definitely an aggressive driver. I can't stand going less than 10 miles over the speed limit. I try to force myself to be more patient. My friends tell me that I'm always thinking 5 steps ahead, so they aren't scared when I'm driving. lol I don't like to be tailgated, so I don't tailgate. I don't cut people off...when I do make lane changes, frequent or not, I make sure there's ample room. If someone needs to get in front of me, I let them, unless they're just being jerks. It's going to be fun in August when I move from LA to Orlando...I will want to speed, but I'll be scared of speed traps in places I've never been.

Well, in popular or busier cities, it seems that common courtesy is just not utilized enough. Failure to signal in reasonable time. Not stopping completely at stop signs. Racing to the red light. Emulating a taxi driver with rotten habits. Maybe, just plain ignorance, such as many decibals of bass noise in your ear, like it or not, you get it. Sometimes it's the petty crap that upsets us the most. I am using my 18 speed on the sidewalk as much as possible for now. That way is best in order to save gas money and to get some exercise. Care to elaborate?

Edited by akaslickster

Just a note to say keeping it slow means sometimes being in one gear lower, easy with manual/gear shift - but you can shift gears in auto, some are just to lazy - I used to drive a 4 litre Jag which ran so quiet it was purrrrrrrfect

Anyway it works and is a useful tip to avoid tickets - worked for me in London!

Edited by Lost in space

Part 2: Should excessive use of the horn be illegal and or dealt with? I say unnecessary and over usage of the horn should not be permitted. A hundred dollar fine might suffice. Any opinions on Part 2: ???
Friend of mine said it's better to brake than to use the horn, now i don't bother - winds people up anyway.

Lot of people sounnd their horn as they pull away from friends houses - hate that a lot, especially at night... Grrrrr

Friend of mine said it's better to brake than to use the horn, now i don't bother - winds people up anyway.

Lot of people sounnd their horn as they pull away from friends houses - hate that a lot, especially at night... Grrrrr

Just as bad here, the car-pooler pulls up early to pick up a neighbor. You are having the best dream you've had in a long time, and out of the blue comes,BEEP, BEEP, BEEP BEEP BEEP, you awaken 1/2 way and slowly drift back into the dream when BEEP,BEEP. again and now your completely awake and can't go back to sleep because you forgot what your dream was about. To put the cherry on the top, you just then realize it was your day off to sleep in. Confounded!#%$!

Part 2: Should excessive use of the horn be illegal and or dealt with? I say unnecessary and over usage of the horn should not be permitted. A hundred dollar fine might suffice. Any opinions on Part 2: ???

i think it should. :lol:

those people are so annoying

Re defensive / offensive

my nephew drove like a maniac at 15 years old, he always won - just goes to prove that you need no driving experience to be good at racing.... Actually there's more chance of winning if you have no real experience and understand the issues of the real world accidents and near Mrs (ha ha)

Edited by Lost in space