Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pole in lake

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 Prof. Simmers.

Prof. Simmers.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:55 PM

Ok I read about 7-8 pages and got annoyed. So forgive me if i mention something that has been mentioned before.

All answers so far:

48: You say one third is of the whole length? I personally can't see how something can we in ground and water? Also it says another so its a fraction, things most people learn in like year 2
12: That is just stupid.
24: This is the correct answer in my eyes
32: Don't know where you got this really

8 = 2/3
1/3 = 4
8+4=12
the half in the ground (half means the same as the other half) = 12x12 = 24

Not trying to be mean it's just annoying me.

#102 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:31 PM

After following this thread for some time, the answer is obviously
Spoiler for It could only be...

#103 mindset

mindset

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

1/2 is in THE ground (3/6)
ANOTHER 1/3 is covered by water (2/6)
AND 8 ft is above THE water (1/6)

5/6 is covered by water
1/6 is above the water (8ft)
therefore 8ft plus 40ft equals the lenght of THE pole (not A pole which is 19.5ft or 5.5 yards)

The answer is 48 feet

Edited by mindset, 13 August 2008 - 05:58 PM.

#104 broadacresmike

broadacresmike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:27 AM

:) Wouldn't any variation of 3+2+1 fulfill the requirements? Assuming, of course, that the 1/3 X under water is of the entire rod length.

#105 Mekal

Mekal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:34 AM

hey! i remember this! My very first post was here! good times... good times...

#106 Mohamed Adelestien

Mohamed Adelestien

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:35 AM

48 it is

#107 LiaS

LiaS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:13 PM

Let's stop arguing and let TEX provide us the right solution.
All three answers :48", 24" and 12 could be correct depending on how you interpret this puzzle.

If the 1/3 submerged in water, is 1/3 of the whole pole then 48" is the right answer as most of you have posted here.

If the 1/3 submerged in water, is 1/3 of the remaining half then 24" is the right answer.

Also, if the part covered in ground represents the remaining 8" part not in water (air + ground), then 12" is the right answer

:rolleyes:

I agree, on all counts! I feel like the obvious answer is 48 ft., but the other solutions are intriguing (if questionable). What I want most, though, is to wring TEX's neck for posting that so long ago and never showing back up to provide what he meant to be the answer!! Someone track him down and drag him back here! :D

#108 Scratch11

Scratch11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

It depends on the interpretation of the problem.

If I were writing this problem, I would expect the answer 48'. I probably wouldn't give more than half credit for 24', since any reasonable interpretation of the problem as written, interpreting "another" as "an additional," suggests that the amount in water is 1/3 of the whole pole. But with the argument given that the 1/2 is no more in the water than the 1/6 in the air, I'd give full points for 12'. It's the reasoning that's important, you see.

If you were writing this problem with the expectation of an answer of 48' you wouldn't have written "out of the water" you would have stated "in the air" to follow with the 2 previous statements. Your implication that as a teacher you would only give only half credit for 24' bothers me. The question is worded poorly as can be seen in the previous 11 pages.

If I had written the question as is I would accept that my wording was ambiguous and realize that 48', 24', 16.5', 12' and 9.6' would all be correct answers with interpretation (as I had left assumptions in my question).
It's the reasoning that's important, you see.

B))

PS...my favorite answer is 9.6'

Edited by Scratch11, 21 September 2008 - 05:55 PM.

#109 1221

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:37 AM

god will you people use spoilers :angry:

#110 killaklown

killaklown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:24 PM