Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Crocodile Sophism

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#271 einsteins

einsteins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

i believe the correct answer that would insinuate common logic is..."will you take my child?" therefore "guessing" correctly and answering the riddle correctly, however you may look at it the woman is correct in all aspects from the given text

#272 Lilwisegirl

Lilwisegirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

The mother should say "You will hold him captive for a certain amount of time while I speak this sentence." If he does, he has to give the kid back. If he doesn't, the kid can run away.

#273 Lilwisegirl

Lilwisegirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

And to be practical, a lot of things other possibilities suggested would anger the crocodile, and he would eat the child out of spite. Also, I'd like to point out that nowhere in the question did they limit us to two answers (eat him or don't).

#274 joshuagenes

joshuagenes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

The croc will trade him for a cow that has twice as much meat. This is just a jumping off point for negotiations.

#275 sandip7129

sandip7129

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

the mother should have said, "you would eat him." then the crocodile could not eat the boy, as that would make the mother's statement true.

#276 Katiebug815

Katiebug815

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

If the crocodile is THAT hungry, he'll just eat the kid even if the answer is right.However, if he is telling the truth, she should either say "You will give me back my child", or " you will eat my child" of course if you say the latter, he'll probably say "damn right i am" and eat him. It all depends on if the crocodile is honest. If not, Sorry lady! ;)

#277 Katiebug815

Katiebug815

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

If the crocodile is THAT hungry, he'll just eat the kid even if the answer is right.However, if he is telling the truth, she should either say "You will give me back my child", or " you will eat my child"

But now, here is the paradox. Yes, if the croc is being honest or not is important, but how about this: she could say "you will defenitely not give me back my child." If he keeps the child, he will be lying. If he gives back the child, he will be lying. The only logical thing for him to do with the child would be something completely different, like dump him in the river. She can then fish him out because the crocodile can no longer touch the boy, unless there are some very smart hippos in there too.

MORAL OF STORY: don't let children play by rivers known to be homes of crocodiles.

Edited by Katiebug815, 29 March 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#278 Katiebug815

Katiebug815

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

The mother should say "You will hold him captive for a certain amount of time while I speak this sentence." If he does, he has to give the kid back. If he doesn't, the kid can run away.

But what if the kid can't swim?

#279 santrolization

santrolization

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

Crocodile Sophism - Back to the Paradoxes

A slim crocodile living in Nile took a child. Mother begged to give him back. The crocodile could not only talk, he was also a great sophist, and so he stated: "If you guess (Edited: predict the fate = guess correctly), what I will do with him, I will return him. However, if you don't guess his fate I'll eat him." What statement shall the mother make to save her child (what about a 

Crocodile Sophism - Back to the Paradoxes

A slim crocodile living in Nile took a child. Mother begged to give him back. The crocodile could not only talk, he was also a great sophist, and so he stated: "If you guess (Edited: predict the fate = guess correctly), what I will do with him, I will return him. However, if you don't guess his fate I'll eat him." What statement shall the mother make to save her child (what about a vicious circle ...)?

No matter what the mother says it depends on what the crocodile decides to do. There is an infinite possibilty of options that can happen if she gets it right but there is only one if she gets it wrong. The crocodile said he'll eat the child if she gets it wrong. So she says the crocodile will eat he child then the crocodile will not be able to eat the child or she'll be correct. Given that the child will then be  useless to the child he may give it back.

#280 9thParadox

9thParadox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

The answer is the paradox. If she says, "You will return him," the crocodile can make the woman a liar. If she says, "You will eat him," he will become a liar if he does.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users