Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Barber Paradox (Russell's Paradox)

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#51 thermalguru65

thermalguru65

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:44 PM

absolutely, the paradox does not leave out the people who have shaved themselves. It merely states that he would shave any one who hadn't already.

#52 peanut

peanut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

The paradox is not eternal......so if the barber went one day without shaving, then he could shave himself and be shaving someone who did not shave himself.....even if it was for only a day :)

#53 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:56 AM

The paradox is not eternal......so if the barber went one day without shaving, then he could shave himself and be shaving someone who did not shave himself.....even if it was for only a day :)

But then at the time he shaves himself, he'd be shaving himself... B))

#54 silverag47

silverag47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:57 AM

I'll make this short and sweet... himself is in second person there for he can say, I shaved "MYSELF" and not lie

#55 silverag47

silverag47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:12 PM

...by the way the paradox gets you going by only thinking in a third person view, you just got to think as the barber

took me 2 mins

#56 EGG HEAD

EGG HEAD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:33 PM

Okay. IMHO :
the barber promise to shave anyone who does not shave himself.
and the question is "Can the barber shave himself and keep the mentioned promise?"
right?

so. I think the barber not promise to " NOT SHAVE anyone who sahve himself" right?
so, why the barber would break the rule if he shave himself?

the promise only said that he (the barber) will shave anyone who does not shave himself. so, the other who shave himself still can be shaved by the barber right? include the barber.

Edited by EGG HEAD, 29 April 2008 - 06:33 PM.

#57 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:00 PM

Barber Paradox (Russell's Paradox) - Back to the Paradoxes

Analogue paradox to the paradox of liar formulated English logician, philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell.
There was a barber in a village, who promised to shave everybody, who does not shave himself (or herself).
Can the barber shave himself and keep the mentioned promise?

Edited (better wording?):
In a village, the barber shaves everyone who does not shave himself/herself, but no one else.
Who shaves the barber?

Not reading all the other posts, and dare I ask if the lady shaves herself - I have two pictures in my mind. one is similar to my old aunt who had almost a moustache when she was in her eighties, and the other is not for this forum!

Possibly a non shaving lady barber

#58 silverag47

silverag47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:06 PM

he,she,himself,herself,they,them, themself... etc. (SECOND PERSON)

#59 Steve Luke

Steve Luke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:47 PM

Thus, the barber is female and has no facial hair. She does not shave herself, but shaves everyone else.

The barber promises to shave everyone who doesn't shave themselves:
"In a village, the barber shaves everyone who does not shave himself/herself, but no one else."

If the barber (or anyone else in the village) is a woman (or child) who does not NEED to shave, then they don't shave themselves, which means the barber (man, woman, or child) must therefore shave them - if they need it or not. So the 'barber is a woman/child' exit does not work.

Edited by Steve Luke, 05 May 2008 - 04:52 PM.

#60 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:49 AM

Spoiler for Sticking with

that works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users